Register now to get rid of these ads!

Connie Kalitta's plane problem today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mazooma1, May 25, 2008.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

Belgium today...
    OOPS!

2. Bodacious

Bodacious

Yeah? Ya' think? :D

3. blacufo

blacufo

i guess thats what happens when you try and run a business and run a fuel team at the same time, something is bound to take a $hit

4. He's been doing it for many years. Sooner or later these things happen. No different than any other airlines...

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When I saw that on the news I wondered if Connie himself was at the controls. He only has one eye, so no depth perception. He's been flying for YEARS and it never bothered him before. I guess driving a AA/FD gives you a little practice that you can apply to your "day job".:cool::D

Frank

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

fuel racing is what got him started in the freight hauling. that is why scott took a year or so out of f/c so he could get his business back on track.

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

8. Racing and flying somewhat the same. I do recall seeing fuel cars broke in the middle. Has to do with the duty cycle>>>>.

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Um...what does one have to do with the other?

There's some damned interesting reading at this site: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/3997261/#menu76

Apparently, it's like a HAMB for jet jockies and the like. A couple hundred posts about this accident. Seems the pilot heard a couple of loud bangs and aborted take-off. The townies at the airport are saying that the runway is too short and have predicted something bad happening for years (sounds like there's neighborhoods at the end of the runway). No crew was seriously hurt, but the escape slide out of the cockpit was over a really steep hill so it was a helluva ride.
    The plane was contracted to take supplies and mail from the US Embassy in Belgium (I think), to Bahrain. It was also hauling the personal dunnage of a diplomat, and his car. D'oh!

I went down on the above link about 100 posts...those guys have aerial photos of the airport, close-up shots of the plane and the damage, some neat theories of what caused it to break like that, which seams to be the big topic of conversation...they're speculating that it was fatigue, which isn't good on an airplane and points to service problems, or possibly unsecured load. They pulled up other links to a CK Airline plane that dropped and engine a couple years ago. These guys even have the manufacturer date and history of the plane posted.

Lucky that it didn't turn into a huge fireball. Planes on take-off are full. No fumes to explode, but if a tank tears, you end up with more than enough vapor.

-Brad

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Violation of the first rule of aviation safety: "Don't be the first one to the scene of the accident."

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't know much about aircraft, but that looks like a very odd break, i bet the load was misplaced, or a section was fatigued. Real happy all crew members got out ok and the load was saved.

12. Brewton

Brewton

Oh Shit! That's why I don't fly!

13. a couple of rivits here and there and the rest should buff right out..

14. Musta been pretty stressed to break there. The wing box is the strongest part of the tube and if that break happened any further forward or back, it would have been a much more dangerous thing. I wonder if it slammed back down after slightly airborne. Aborted take offs while wheels still on the ground should never do that. Unless very poorly maintained (ie lots of corrosion).

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It ran off the runway hard surface and into a ditch, there is supposed to be a lot of complaints about runway length at this airport.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ahh get some duct tape and get it back out there

17. Rockit53

Rockit53
    from Berwyn, IL
    1. 37-38 Chevys

that shit'll buff out....seriously though, if it did get airborn and touch down again, it's no surprise. I'm not 100% sure but i think that 747's max takeoff weight far exceeds it max landing weight.

18. flynstone

flynstone

it broke up due to some heavy 4 wheelin after the runway........drop offs and dicthes,mud..............i think that pilot has to change his shorts

19. That's with pretty much ANY aircraft.

Little-known 747 trivia - In the movie "Air Force One" with Harrison Ford, the 747 used for the interior mock-up was a leased Kalitta Air 747. It was built pretty close to the real aircraft w/o compromising classified features. Maybe THIS tail? Who knows?

20. Yes!! Flying for birds. Driving for people. Hot-Rodding for cool people>>>>.

21. yeah, I dug through those pics that Brad linked......must have been a hell of a ride!

22. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Makes me so happy. I fly into Brussels about 3-5 times per year. Now I see why some of my co-workers rent cars and drive from Amsterdam...

I went to India last week and when we touched down I think the calculation was off by a few meters. I think we bottomed out all the struts on that thing not to mention the tires. I would not have been shocked to see the plane look like CKs after what I felt. I nearly smacked my head on the seat in front of me.

His shop is a non-descript building right around the corner from where I work. I see the crew at lunch quite a bit. Maybe some day I'll talk to them!

23. Wow,,,as a professional international logistician, I have been loading A/C for some 35 years. I have loaded DC10's, 747's, Antonov's, etal. Never have I seen this shit. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that the load was too heavy, missloaded into the wrong zone and hand a "HARD" landing to boot..

24. Tiger II

Tiger II

My experience is most any kalitta has to be massaged in gently...

25. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

well 3 things

1- i wont have to look at this at the airport any more -- ya!!!!!

2- friends that work in ypsi say their always overloaded - imagine that

3- this will be the talk of ypsi now, thanks alot -- more spectators, means more impounds

26. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

watch out for a old guy with a cigar hanging out his mouth -- rick fisher, owner fisher honda on mich ave, also sponsor of kalittas, waxes and polishes his car (dougs), and mixes fuel (dougs) -- he'll through you off the property, used to work for him at the pontiac store their next to micky d's when he owned it

27. nailz

nailz
    from San Diego

The pilot heard a couple of "loud bangs". Maybe sucked up a large bird or two in an engine or lost a fan blade. Either way...a high speed abort in a heavy jet is a dicey proposition.

28. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

29. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Hit the ditch, the front stopped but the back didn't. Lotsa stress.