Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you getting done this Memorial Day weekend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zig Zag Wanderer, May 25, 2008.

1. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

Dual-point conversion the Dyna-Flyte way...

i cleaned up my GMC Delco distributor this week, scotch-brited the rust off, masked and painted the cast-iron body with Dupli-Color Rust-Fix, then topcoated with Eastwood's Chassis Black semi-gloss.

last night, i assembled the n.o.s. Dyna-Flyte 115-D breaker plate and n.o.s. Delco D103 (1918148) points into the dizzy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the parts were all E-bay bargains. i got the Dyna-Flyte for $8.99; the points for $5.99 per set. i also got TWO Mallory Voltmaster coils to choose from for 99 cents (a no reserve auction listed on a 99 cent starting price sale weekend; i was the first and only bidder)!!!

[​IMG]

after learning a bit about interchangeability of these dizzys (the same basic design was used on many, even non-gm makes, going clear back into the late 20's for applications); i'm on a quest for an AFFORDABLE flat-top distributor cap, used on 28-30 Packard Sixes, late 20's Auburn's, mid-20's Chrysler 6, late 20's Reo passenger cars, and oddly enough, 37-40 Studebaker truck sixes with heavy-duty ignition. it would use the standard GMC, pre-1953 rotor (Delco D-400, 820445). i think the part number on the cap was 1867722 (don't know the short #), but i don't have a Delco catalog that goes back that far.

here's a 1928 Packard Delco dizzy, of which i snatched a couple photos from the Bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the cap, i think, is a two piece; upper and lower. here is a better shot of the lower section of the cap. photo also snatched from the Bay....

[​IMG]

this, i think, is another variant of the same style cap, also Delco, though i'm not sure of the application; there is something odd about the high tension lead on this one; it appears that the coil lead would be secured to the cap with that center screw. it does, however, give me a good idea of what the two-piece flat-top might look like with the top on it. note also though, the spark plug wire piercing screws similar to a Vertex cap...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Went to old style finned valve covers, points style dizzy pertronix conversion and oh yeah got the 2 --- 4 bbl. tunnel ram on, set up and runnin pretty good and new smoothies out back. That's enough for one weekend. Now I just have to iron a few minor adjustments

3. olskool53

olskool53
    from CT

Paint my deck.

4. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Finally and I mean FINALLY got my T5 installed and working. After modifying the trans TWICE, I got it right. For technical info, look here -

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265732&showall=1

I went to Blktopbandit's get together and had a great time - even thought I couldn't drive my coupe. It's all good though.

Vance

5. Fixed a leaking exhaust manifold and adjusted the carb on the 62.
    Started prepping the 62 for new paint also.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I found the computer here in the resort:D

We're in California (Ramona) for the week.
    Escondido Friday night - cruisin Grand - maybe see some of you there.

7. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i got my yard work done trimming hedges (mine and the neighbors) and cutting the grass (i have a little over an acre to cut) then i worked on the house getting a few things fixed that was needing attention, and thats about it. just played with the dogs and hung out with the family for the rest of the weekend. and now im watching it rain thinking the good Lord for not having to water the yard again tonite!!

8. BBobb

BBobb

1.Busted two knuckles saturday morning wrench turning.....bled all afternoon
    2.got liquored up all day sunday
    3.Trying to make a full recovery all day Monday

GOOD TIMES!!!

9. classicfins

classicfins

Unfortunately this is all I got done this weekend. :(

My daughter and I started on it this morning, and my son and I finished up cementing the posts in this afternoon. Hopefully Wednesday I can add the last panel and the gate. Then out to the shop for some work on my project! :D

Attached Files:

10. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Hammer, dolly... More hammer and dolly, this time with some yelling.

I'm getting my ar ready for paint, finishing up all the little dings and stuff I missed before. It's getting close.

11. Installed a new water pump on my 55GMC. I bought it on ebay for$4.50 plus $10.00 shipping. It was listed for a 4 cyl pontiac tempest but it had the same casting nos as the 287 water pump. filled it with water and cranked it up but it wouldnt idle.So i ganged up a half dozen rochester 2gc,s and disasembled them and put together 1 good carb. Took off the orginal carter installed the rochester it ran and idled fine. While i was at it i retrofitted a PCV system it didnt have much blow by but it dont have any now. Now i need to fix and modify two more carbs so i can install a tri power intake that i have. Gas at $4.00 a gal and i want more carbs!:eek: OldWolf

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Got the outside end of the shop cleaned in preparation for the cement contractor in the morning. I've lived here for 14 years since building a new home and shop and never did get the ramp up to the overhead door and the parking pad graded and finished. The wife finally said she was going to set aside a little money at a time so I could have it done. She announced a couple of weeks go she had the $$$'s to do the job. Soooooooo............sometime tomorrow morning, barring a storm that's headed this way, they'll start my driveup ramp and can get rid of the 2x10 planks I've been using to get in and out of the shop.

Frank

13. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Chaddilac came by Sunday and we worked on the T-Bird to get it ready to do the 1000 mile RT to Rust Revival! Reworked the drivers power window so it would actually go up and down (kinda important) and put an antenna on it. I cleaned it up some more today and checked the mechanics and she's good to go!!

14. flathead48

flathead48

Fabbed a custom removeable transmission mount for my bro's T5 he's going to be running behind a Nailhead in his A coupe project. Also got all the steering components hooked up. Its amazing how much a guy can get done in just one day when he does not have to go to work............I gotta find a way to make workin on hot rods my real job.

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Absa fucking lutely nothing!

16. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Well i built a wall bettwen the cab and the trunk of the coupe and put fatmat down. ran a gas vent and fixed the door light switch
    I need to do the fire wall again i want it cool as i can get it.

17. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Went junk yarding with one of my homies. Scored a 51 Olds front bumper/grill for my 51 Chevy project and some 56 Olds rear fender wells for my 55 Olds.

Attached Files:

• 11a.JPG
      11a.JPG
      File size:
      107.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

Got lots done. Assembled my new Cadillac flathead and disconnected the downpipe from the other one, unstuck the transmission, and a bunch of other stuff.

19. bluestang67

bluestang67

Well saturday and sunday besides house stuff i cleaned the garage a bit . Not all the way just a bit . Started with this and now i can walk again . Man got to get the stang done for more room and get it on the auction block . Then get back on the A .

[​IMG]

20. sawzall

sawzall

retrieved my new trailer saturday.. met up with one of
    "THEM" Sunday.. and actually worked in the shop for a few hours today!

if only every weekend were this productive

21. LOWLIDX50

LOWLIDX50

Flaked my side trim on the galaxie saturday. goofed off most of sunday, helped my son do some body work on his 61 today ......all this thrashing for the rust revival , wearing me out. Lowlidx50

22. BLAKE

BLAKE

Motor swap with the gang on Friday (pic), then BBQ crawl south of Austin with even more friends on Sunday.

It was a good weekend.

Attached Files:

23. Got the lathe moved into the shop and wired.

Oilpan off the truck in anticipation of replacing the oil pump.

Tomorrow,move the car to the lift and start on replacing the rocker panels.

Oldmics

24. Dirty2

Dirty2

I changed my pumkin ( thanks to LugnutII ) from 3.70 to 3.36. and cleaned the shop some more .

25. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Watched my buddies get arrested Friday
    Got liquored and fell asleep hugging a buddies ex girlfriend, so he punched me in the face thinking I was making out with her or somethin'.
    Went to Indiana Jones with another girl Sunday.
    Ate lots of meat and and argued with my arts school brother over how he disrespects the troops today.

Fun, car unrelated weekend!
    I got my pinkslip for my Corvair friday.

26. 2-TONED

2-TONED

worked my ass off rollin around on the floor like a dog under this greasey 34 pickup, got dirty as hell sat,sun & half a day today. not really sure what i got done!!?? i know it wasnt what i wanted to get done though. -- :confused::eek:

27. dannyego

dannyego

spent six hours beating brake drums off my 55 chevy field find. spent another two hours cleaning out dead mice and other random things.

28. Blew car apart last weekend to get to the throwout bearing. Motor and trans out ready to go. This weekend put it back together with rebuilt bearing, new water pump, new trans tail seal. No leaks! Oh, but the starter solenoid stuck and smoked itself. If i didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Thankfully some parts stores were open on the holiday! Managed to get a little ride in.

29. I got the firewall and jambs painted along with the with installing the steering colum.

Attached Files:

30. got all my hedges trimmed,mulched my flower beds and replace some railrod ties along my driveway,did mange to watch the mad fabricators society 1 & 2