Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A guys: Why '32 rails as opposed to Model A's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, May 24, 2008.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

So, I'm building my new Model A in my head while I'm waiting for my copy of "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" in the mail. I've read and seen for years that putting a Model A on 32 rails is quite common and wanted to know why.

I always assumed it was a strength issue, but is there more to it than that. It seems like such a popular (cliche?) choice, that many traditionalists cheer when they see a Model A on *GASP!* Model A rails! If memory serves, there is even that hurdle to overcome with the way a 32 frame bows away from the Model A body, so there must be some damn good reason(s) for doing it.

Please enlighten me - opinions, preferences, cold hard facts and utter bullshit all appreciated.:D

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Stiffer, wider, better looking. The same thing your woman is always looking for. :D

3. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

32 Rails are PURDIER !!!!!

4. Other than appearance and strength it hides all the stuff hanging down underneath, muffler, oil pan, etc. Look at a few and you'll see.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you can take a '32 sedan,
    throw away the body,
    drop an A roadster body on it and have an instant hot rod

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

Christ, she told YOU too! What a motormouth.

Thank you gentlemen.

7. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I always thought it was as simple as the K-member already being in the frame, oh yeah, so was a flattie.
    The A-bone bodies were narrower & slipped thru the wind better, esp @ top speed on the lakes. So obviously, it was a natural marriage.

Tardel's book is a great manual on how to do the Model A frame, but lacks any details on dropping the A body on a 32 frame.

Good luck on the project!

8. Also look at Mike Bishops hot rod in the book. The side pipes hide the stuff underneath the car.

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

Considering all my options at this point and will wait for the book ... just so happens I KNOW somewhere I might be able to snag an "A" frame ... not no much on the 32. Of course there is the whole box tubing thing ... I'm gonna wait for the book.

10. TimDavis

TimDavis

What Mike Bishop wrote a book? About a Av8? Seriously? Everywhere I've read Vern Tardel wrote that book.....

Oh wait, it does say Mike Bishop of the front cover of mine - yeah, that must be a misprint......

ha

11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

32 frame has longer wheelbase 106 verses 103 If my memory is correct. more room for late model OHV V8s. back in the day before boxing, the A frame was a flexible flyer

Ago

12. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

32 rails are nice looking and can be made to fit the flat A body with trying to fill the gap.
    For me, it was the first time to build a Hot Rod from the ground up and I got the A frame for nothing so I thought I'd try it. It came out great and I had a lot of fun building it.
    I like the look of the 32 frame and if I do this again I would probably go that direction, but it's kind of like bellybuttons.................everyone has one and I do like to be a little different from time to time...............kind of like building a blown flathead, although quite a few people are doing that also.

IMHO

Attached Files:

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Not everyone has the talent and skill to build a full bellypan for a fenderless A roadster.

14. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Why do you need a "full bellypan".............................?

15. ditz

ditz

IMO....the 32 frame is stronger and better looking only if you are doing a highboy. If you are going to channel over the rails the looks thing is only in the eye of the beholder. If you are planning big horsepower go with the 32 frame.

16. mattblack52

mattblack52
    from Ohio

Just like a girls skirt.

17. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

yep thats the exact reson i like the duece over the stock a

18. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Originally? back in “the day” it must have been done because a deuce frame already had a V8 and the T or A body was lighter more plentiful and cheaper than the B. The kid working on his parents driveway or backyard could build a hot rod with hand tools from a beat down 32 whatever.
    Now? It just looks better, to me anyways.

19. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

+1

The 32 frame does wonders to visually "finish" the bottom of the A body. It just seems to tie everything together.

20. Bodacious

Bodacious

It all comes down to a matter of taste. Personally, I could care less which rails a car has. If it's a well done car, that's the last thing I'd look at. I like 'em channeled anyway, so it becomes even more irrelevant in that case.

21. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks guys - A Chopped Coupe - THAT frame alone is a work of art. dis you fab the x-member yourself?

22. MattStrube

MattStrube

Don't sell an A frame short fellas, they look right at home. And fitting an A body to the 32 frame requires a little more work, so you might reconsider the A frame before you go with the crowd.

[​IMG]

23. MattStrube

MattStrube

The previous picture was my car...Or here's a familiar A-framed 29

[​IMG]

24. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Urkillimessmalls,

Very sweet little 29 Roadster, I would certainly like to see more pictures!

25. Gigantor

Gigantor

urkillinmesmalls - that's B E A U T I F U L.
    I'm still working out just what I want to do (ideally I'd like to channel it, but I got that whole height problem) but I think the oil pan and tranny sitting out in the breze just lloks tough. Decisions- decisions.

26. I must be weird.... I prefer A frames over 32s.
    And that 29 roadster is absolute TITS!!!

27. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I may be partial, but I think A's on A rails are pretty neat.

Attached Files:

28. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Gigantor,

If you mean "hanging out in the breeze" by meaning low to the ground, my Coupe has 5" clearance from the road to the bottom of the front axle/oil pan/transmission pan..........and
    the body isn't even channeled.

Attached Files:

29. Gigantor

Gigantor

Quit showing me pictures of your coupe! That's just mean! ;) :D

30. Cshabang

Cshabang

well, if you're doing a 40's era car..you can run the A frame with the splash aprons...I'm into both styles....A frame or 32..depends on what era I'm gonna build I guess....