Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Joel,
    My feelings exactly. The engine was being produced near the end of '60, so I figured there had to be some appearances prior to Feb.
    Verne

2. Race Artist

Race Artist

Some late, late '60 Nat. Dargsters or Drag News might have something on it. I don't have any issues .... I don't think. Any Detroit Dragway newsletters (if there were any) might have something. I can't see the '61 W'nationals being the absolute debut for any of the brands.
    Joel

3. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Dyno's 61 Impala HT certainly brought the 409 to the forefront.
    We put a 409 in my 61 bel air HT , took out the 350hp 348, installed the 360 hp 409. (like many)...did well ( mowed many a Ford own in NASCAR, TANA, & nhra competition in New York/Pa.)......
    without going on & on ,as to "who was 1st",etc. ..suffice to say that Dyno , Sanders,& then Strick..became winners with the 61 409 on the drag strip.Dyno really hauled Ass ! ( there were more, including Hubert Platt, and others all around..Dyno was tough.

4. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

By the way...in '60 & '61 Mopar started rearing their head !
    We all know how tough they would get. ( how tough they were)

5. Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing the car. Did Grumpy build the motor or is he just tuning it? Mike told me his mom (Suzie)referred Grump to him about the car. Mike is looking forward to it also. Do you guys plan on making any passes with the car?

6. I've read Bud Fauble was pretty tough with his '61 300. Back when he was "Tip Toe" not the "Honker".:D

7. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Passes are DEFINITELY planned. This car isn't just going to be a lookalike; it will be built to race. The engine was built in the early '60s as a race motor and put away. Found it's way to AZ, was purchased and brought back. It was merely taken apart, checked and re-assembled. Bill is doing the carbs (and tweaking what-ever else he wants to) and doing the dyno run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. biscaynes

biscaynes

great to hear, can't wait to see it. strickler/jenkins '61 bisc is one of my favorites! :)

9. Is this great thread dead?????

10. storm king

storm king

I sure hope not.

11. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Tribute car or not, looking forward to seeing it.

This may have been discussed previously but on a different note, Bill Spanako's 55, does anyone know the full story on this car? What was Bill Jenkins involvement and what really became of the car?

[​IMG]

12. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

That's a great picture of the Monster Mash. Thanks! IT's my understanding that Jenkins had pretty much complete control over the building of that car, including engine and chassis. Apparently, he even told them how to select the car to start with in the first place, telling them to go find the most rusted out piece of junk they could find! Rotted out floor boards were replaced with aluminum, etc. (simply a repair to make the car safer):rolleyes:;)
    I've also heard that he told them to only put enough paint on it so you couldn't see through it, reminding them how much a gallon of paint weighs. As to what became of it, I'm pretty sure I heard it was destroyed, but I don't remember the details.

Verne;)

13. Race Artist

Race Artist

Let's get posting more snapshots from our own collections! I've been pretty busy and haven't had the chance to do so lately.

Joel

14. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Cool !! Really Cool.....

15. biscaynes

biscaynes

here's the monster mash II painted up similar to jenkins '66 chevy II.

Attached Files:

16. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple more shots. Anybodys guess who the 3 amigos are on the hood.

17. Race Artist

Race Artist

I found this shot (shouldn't have done so, but I pirated it) on a site about Arizona racing history. I've never heard of this T-Bolt before. Reed-Mullan or Read-Mullan Ford T-Bolt 1964. I believe running at the AHRA Winter Championships, Beeline Dragway, Scottsdale, AZ.
    Anyone know anything about this car? Looks to be an automatic car.
    My apologies to the site and unknown photographer.
    Joel

Attached Files:

18. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Joel,

Read-Mullan Ford - Phoenix, AZ. Note that car has fiberglass front bumper. When ran at Pomona was converted to aluminum front bumper to be legal in S/SA.

Originally delivered on 12/19/63 to Jack Kennedy Sales, Deming NM, owned by Eddie Marcak. Car burned up later in a building fire.

I enjoy reading all the entries. However, I am glad to see some Ford stuff on here.

Regards,
    Dennis

19. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Looking for information on a 1964 Ford Thunderbolt at the 1969 Winternationals, in SS/D class, entry #933, car was prepared by H-M-S and driven by Wayne Gapp.

Car is listed in the NHRA program guide.

Supposedly went out in the first round in class against Bill Jenkins, who eventually won class. Was Jenkins running a Camaro or a Nova in SS/D at the 69 Winternationals?

Looking for photos of the car, or anyone that may recall seeing the car run or not run for that matter. There are different stories depending on who you talk to.

Regards,
    Dennis

20. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Dennis, According to Hot Rod Magazine's coverage of the '69 WinterNats, Jenkins red-lighted in the first round and the Elim was won by Don Grotheer n his Plymouth Cuda.

21. femadman

femadman

Bonner At Bee Line
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From Ron Bell Collection

22. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clester Andrews Green Valley,Tex Ron Bell Photos

23. femadman

femadman

Joel,good to see ya again.Lost how to get in touch with you,and I enjoy this thread,being I'm an old Ford drag racer and fan of this era,all makes.I have lost touch with Tommy McNeely too,and a mutual friend of ours has lost touch too,so don't know where he is.Now having a hoot racing the "Texas Thunder" 63 Ford in NSS.

24. Andamo

Andamo

Joel, the picture of the Read-Mullen T-Bolt was taken by a good friend of mine who was stationed in Colorado. He gave me some pictures he took during the AHRA Nationals at Bee-Line Dragway in 1964, and that was one of them. Jim has since passed away and would have enjoyed seeing his pictures posted.
    Dan

25. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

All these are from Mason Dixon dragway between 1963-1966, I think.

Attached Files:

26. femadman

femadman

More Ron Bell Photos from Green Valley
    [​IMG]
    Lee Smith & Sites Bros
    [​IMG]
    "Tex" Darnaby(sp)
    [​IMG]
    Fritz Collier CKC Chevy II 1 of 3
    [​IMG]
    Kelly Chadwick

27. femadman

femadman

Scaned these from old mags in my collection,and old photos cut from various mags at the time

[​IMG]
    Bonner @Lions Unk
    [​IMG]
    Lawton vs SWC Hot Rod Photo
    [​IMG]
    Lawton vs Sox SSDI Sept65
    [​IMG]
    Paul Rossi Drag Racing Dec65
    [​IMG]
    Sauza Bros & Dad Unk Mag
    [​IMG]
    Hawkinson Ford Car Life Mar65

28. These are great!!!!:eek: Dirty Dixon is our home track. My dad won a SS race there in '62 in his '61 Starliner. Please say you have more!!!!!:D

29. Parts13

Parts13
    from New Mexico

Dennis & Joel
    I knew Eddie Marcak back in the day. He raced at Sunland Park NM as well as many other places in the Southwest. When I first met him he had a 406 Ford. It was the fastest Ford around. He then got a 427 63 and later a 427 Falcon. I do not remember seeing the T-Bolt but I did spend some time away in Ft Polk, La in 64. UGGGG
    I do remember when his barn burned and he lost all of these cars as well as some farm equipment and a lot of parts and tools. In 65-66 time frame Eddie had a Supercharged Mustang that ran pretty well to. The last time I saw Eddie was in Deming in probably 71 or 72. He was/is a good guy even though he drove Fords. hahaha.
    Larry

30. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

I have a couple, there not s/s but cool anyways. My uncle is friends with a guy who tracked a bunch of old ones down and I scanned some of them.