Register now to get rid of these ads!

the fastest car on earth (info request)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evil1, May 18, 2008.

1. Today a guy i know said "hay check out these old photos i found in the trunk of this honda" this guy bought the honda at a used car lot we have no idea were the pics are from...the fastest car on earth:eek: any info?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I think that might be the car John Cobb drove to set the record (LSR) at about 394 or so miles an hour in 1947. Mickey Thompson surpassed the record with the Challenger in (maybe) 1960, but didn't back it up for the record. Breedlove beat it in '63 with the Spirit of America jet car, and the record was reset several times in the next few years. The Summer Brothers finally beat the record with a wheel driven car in the late '60s.

3. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Last pic is a pre-war Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix car, I think a W154. The guy in the photo might be Tommy Lee. He bought a M-B GP car and ran it at Indy after the war, 1948 I think.

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

4. in just under an hour !....thanks guys....

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Was that when Rudolf Carraciola Crashed a Mercedes Benz at Indy?

6. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

The last picture is of a 1937 Mercedes W125 GP car, so I don't think it is Tommy Lee standing next to it.

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

That's an old photo of me.

Where did you find that?

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fastest car streamliner is indeed the Cobb car known as the Railton 'Mobil' Special. In 1939 he set the record at 369.7mph. Then war broke out and put a hiatus on LSR runs until 1947 when Cobb bought the Railton Special back to Bonneville and set a new record of 394.196mph, one run top was 403! This record stood for 16 years until Mickey T took it out in Challenger.
    Doc.

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

I looked that up in his book.
    He didn't crash a M-B, but a Thorne Engineering Special.

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/people/658.asp

I got confused because I remembered reading in his book that the car was already crated up to be shipped to the States, but I forgot it wasn't allowed to go.

10. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

It would be great to hear the story behind the picture!

Do you have a Mercedes W125 tucked away in your garage ;) ?

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

No it's 'near' Warsaw unless it's been sold :)

There we're cars at a test track in East Prussia as the Ruskies started to drive the Nazis back. Many prized objects we're loaded onto a train for transport back to Germany. The train was stopped in Warsaw all goods unloaded by order of an SS comander and left beside the tracks. His troops then boarded and rushed westward thereby escaping the oncoming Red Army

Polish law prohibits the sale of items over 25 years old and deemed ''part of Polish Culture'' This would no doubt count and come under that law so whatever,or wherever this is is kept secret. From time to time tid bits pop up but I think most are rumors and tall stories

I have seen parts of 'Silver Arrows' in Germany, Czech, and a few other places there we're some in California!

There is a wonderful unrestored MB GP in the Czech tech museum

Understand that if you suddenly 'FIND' one of these cars you stand a good chance of loosing it to a Factory unless you can prove it wasn't 'stolen' from them! Many great things remain 'UNFOUND' due to the threat of lawsuit.

Further I have no doubt that if you showed up in Moscow with a bag-0-cash and started asking you would find your money gone ad perhaps your life......... serious business looking for this stuff..... VERY SERIOUS

Every time I see a post here about some old guy slamin the door in a kids face just cause he asked 'bout the car in the barn...... I think 'Kid you don't know how lucky you are he didn't hurt you' It's so much less deadly looking for cars in the US .... HONEST !!!

My first job,age 10,was finding old cars I will never stop :)

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Jim has been EVERYWHERE, and has forgotten more about history than 99% of us will ever know, i shit you not... ask him if he's ever seen a GeeBee R-2 laying around anywhere... or maybe hanging around perhaps? :cool:

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Like this? :)

Nope....... but did see a Travelaire Mystery Ship in a hanger is So Cal once

Wonder where Poncho's plane is now.........

Attached Files:

14. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Tommy Lee has more tatoos than that.

15. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

So asking about an old car can get you killed? Now that's some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard! If it's such a deadly sport, then why are you still around to tell the tale? Those folks are a little off center don't ya think?

16. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I guess it would depend on "Who" "Where" and "What" you are asking about as to weather you get shot/shot at or not............

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

18. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

19. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammmm Levi those pics are awesome....where's Ryan when you need him.

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Railton went 350.194 for the record in 1938. In '39 it went 367.910. After the war in '47 it came back and ran 394.196 mph. That stood as the wheel driven record untill 1964 when the shaft turbin Bluebird went 403. In '65 the Summers Bros went 409 with Chrysler power. The Railton was Napier Lion powered.

22. For real? Is that you?
    My friend found the photos is the trunk of a car bought recently from a used car lot in Ca...

23. casper

casper

Wow Levi,
    Those pictures are bitchin! Thanks for posting them.

24. is this the same car?
    [​IMG]

25. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

doesnt look like it.

that dudes head poking up through the bubble is creepy looking. amazes me how fast they went so long ago.

26. TRuss

TRuss

Who puts wheels on an F104 Starfighter? Inventive.

As cool as this stuff is you guys should see what the Germans were shooting across the early Autobahn in the 1930s. I'll look for some photos.

27. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

[​IMG]

i saw a show on the History channel a while back about this. was pretty amazing.

28. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

29. TRuss

TRuss

Good stuff Nova. I'm trying to find some info and photos of the Mercedes Valkyrie from that era. As far as I know it was powered by a 12 cylinder fighter aircraft engine most likely supercharged. It was supposed to go over 400mph on the Autobahn. This was never attempted though as the Silver Arrows speed rivalry ceased after Rosemeyer's death.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus