Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Howell's Sheet Metal Rant (Long....)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55RAT, Mar 17, 2008.

1. 55RAT

55RAT

Hello all,let me say I have a healthy respect for all you guys for keeping the tradition going.I dont post much on here but spend a lot of time on the HAMB.
    That said,I am an easy going type that loves my hotrods and spend most of my time in the garage working on them.My latest project is a 28 Model A sedan or coupe (missing from behind the doors back,could of been either) After trying unsuccessfully to find a sedan or coupe rear section,I figured a closed cab pickup would do.Knowing how cramped inside they are,I started checking around for stretched rear PU cab corners for sedan door height and beltline and found out Howells was the only company .
    I realize some of you folks had problems with them,but I figured if I get an idea on delivery time,I at least could plan for it.
    Well..... I was told by Ryan they would be made and shipped within 14 DAYS!!!! I said "is that a realistic time frame"? He said "Yup"

Anyway,that was over 5 weeks ago.I have called 3 times and each time told that they were being made.Actually the week before last,I was told they were done and shipped and should see them by end of last week. (never came).
    I just got off the phone with another employee to at least get a tracking number, and was told they have no record of them being shipped yet,or even made. I was also told to call back in 2 weeks,as they wwere going to a show and would be closed!!!!
    I have no problem waiting and know some of you have waited a lot longer,but to be mislead I get personal about it!
    If it will take a long time,be honest with me ,tell me up front. Am I expecting too much?? I ordered from Howells in 2006 and the parts came right away. Is this delivery problem compounded because they are selling heavily on E-Bay and put these custom type orders to the back of the bus??
    Sorry for the rant,I am frustrated.... can you tell?

2. Just put a Howell's skin on a 26 Model T sedan door. It was a perfect fit. Also used ther cowl patch panels. They worked. But the fit was not as good. So far as I know, they are the only source. The items I ordered came in two days.

3. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

ordered 3 different sets of patch panels at three different times.,,every time the order arrived within 3 days...but,,that was stuff i got off of ebay from them they already had made up....

4. 56Sedan

56Sedan

I used to do a fair amount of Model A's in my shop- stockers.. and the few times I've dealt with them I've good success altho a few of their pieces sucked as far as fit.
    Anymore I just make my own or order from a parts house that way if the are crap I just send them back with no hassle.

5. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

It was posted on here a while back that Howell's sheetmetal was changing hands to the next generation to run. Obviously there are problems and I hope everyone waiting patiently for their parts gets them soon. I am in no way tied to them just passing information.

6. Hope they get their shit together.............we need to order parts for dads 27 roadster. I warned him when he brought up Howells the other day..............bad news travels fast.

7. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

You guys need to check out my friend John, he can make any panel you need. He's mcc7 on this site and his web site is www.mowercountycustoms.com
    He made the back panel for my T coupe, and is making just about all the sheetmetal for his Shop Truck. He's a great guy, give him a chance and help yourself out.

Attached Files:

8. 55RAT

55RAT

Thanks guys...I am not into vendor bashing ,just frustrated.I had heard they went through an ownership change,but I figured if I was up front with them about delivery time they would be with me too. Maybe they will get their act together ??Maybe not?? In the mean time ,I will look into other alternatives .Thanks for listening!

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I just bought one of their 29 model a visors for a customer's car and it fit horribly. The mounting holes where really off and the visor sloped down in the middle. The rolled lip on the underside was only about a 1/4 of an inch verses the 3/4 inch lip on an original. The 1/2 inch that was lacking really caused the visor to be flimsy when attached. The customer was pissed. Bad part...but it arrived quick.

10. b8man

b8man

Im still waitng for my pieces i bought off them from ebay 5 weeks ago. I emailed them and after 3 emails they finally messaged me back saying they would get a tracking number for me right away. That was a week ago and still no tracking number. :confused:

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I just called them up to make sure they were going to ship it out...and stressed that it was for a project that was far behind schedule. I guess I got lucky

12. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Any update on Howell's? They got their shit together yet? A buddy of mine is wanting some Model T patch panels and they are about the only folks I can find that have them.
    I bought panels from them about 10 yrs. ago and was very satisfied with them.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's some photos of my 28-29 CCPU corners that were stretched 6.5". I called Howell's and got a price and then called Bert's Model A in Denver. Price was exactly the same. All things being equal, you know that Howell's is not going to screw around a major vendor. Ordered through Bert's and got the finished parts in less than three weeks.

For some reason, unable to post photos!

14. Parts I ordered for 32 5w,(rear floor pan,quarter panel patch,rumble rain gutters,rear panel under deck lid) came within a week..All fit real well...They may be busy as hell making and selling to other vendors,but no reason to lie to you...My 2 cents

15. Sounds like I'm reading my thread back to myself from a few months ago. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.

I phoned quite a few times after the cab corners were behind schedule...I kept my cool the first 3 or 4 times...then my frustration boiled over and I let him have an ear full. Unfortunately it didn't end up helping me out at all...just ended up with cab corners that needed alot of fitting and were not nice at all....looked rushed out the door...wavy bead lines...etc.

All in all it was a bad experience for me, but what am I gonna do...the guy lives a ten hour flight away from me. I just had to eat shit on that one!

I'll visit Texas some day though...see if I can get a tour of his shop!

16. 55RAT

55RAT

Hello all , Howell's update :After my original post of frustration I called and cancelled the order at the end of march,just too many hassles and time wasted with them.Then I found a fellow Hamber that had the back half of a 28-29 Tudor which is what I wanted in the first place .(Thanks 201!).He even met me half way to deliver it !
    As far as Howell's,I will not order from them again,and I'm sure they dont care either.The rest of the stuff I need is common and I will go through Snyders,Brattons,or any 1 of the other companies.
    Best of luck to you guys waiting for your parts.I'm certain you will get them ,just gotta be patient. Its too bad they cant get their act together

17. 55RAT

55RAT

denis4X4,I should of gone through Berts like you did.I found out afterward. By the way,I ordered the cab corners after seeing your pics. Oh well.

18. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I've ordered from Howell's before and received my parts in a timely manner. I have also ordered parts from suppliers that have jacked me around and I'll usually cancel the order from them. Howell's maybe going through a period where they are trying to catch up, but that is no excuse for giving you the run-around.

If you have ordered a part and it doesn't arrive within a couple of weeks cancel and order from one of their vendors. You'll probably get a better story from a vendor, if the supplier is having problems and if they have problem with the supplier they'll probably stop ordering from them. Companies that can't supply the goods, won't be in business very long.

19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So where would you guys suggest I can order GOOD A and T model patch panels as I need to buy enough for 6 cars and my location means I cant afford to send things back, nor be dicked around. Thanks.

20. timmy t

timmy t

I ordered sill plates for my T a few years ago with no problems (parts fit well).I ran into a problem with speedway when I ordered flathead waterpumps. It took about 6 or 7 months to get them. It all seems to get worked out down the road, you even forget about all the problems when your taking your first ride.

21. 55RAT

55RAT

I would try to find a dealer that sells Brookville panels as they seem to have the best fitment according to what I've heard ,or you can buy direct from them as I have their catalog at home.I know they have A and 32 panels but I dont recall seeing T stuff it it though.

22. Misfit1

Misfit1

23. Misfit1

Misfit1

I'm Having the same problem. I even called and talked to the guy before I ordered because my previous order took two months. He assured me that the parts I wanted were in stock and would ship out the next day..Its been two weeks so far Ive left numerous messages with no replays as of yet. The least they can do is call and let me know if they are having problems. Im glad I won't need anything from them after this order..

24. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I had the same problem, ordered pieces but never came. They didn't respond to e-mails and was hard to get a hold of them by phone. When I did talk to them, they would assure me they would be shipped but........... Finally, I told them I wanted my money refunded. Of course, they wanted to know why. After I told them of my months of frustration I was told they would check their inventory and get back to me. Guess what! They called back in 10 minutes and said they had everything and it would ship right away. They called back within the hour and provided a tracking number and they arrived 5 days later. I guess you have to talk to them and request your money refunded. Maybe I lucked out.

Good luck.

Bob

25. 2935ford

2935ford

Interesting.....seems they can run good or bad depending on?
    I have ordered two different times from them. One with the former and one with the current.......
    Living here across the boarder...everything takes longer but both orders from them were pretty prompt and the fit has been good.
    The only issue with my last order is they didn't understand carriers charging brokerage fees.......I wanted it shipped USPS knowing this but I was told there would be no fees going UPS.....well there was but Howell's made it right and credited me the fees.
    It's been all good with me!

26. This thread is so 2000 and 8
    You so 2000 and late

27. Yeah, but it seems the problems haven't gotten any better over the last 6 years.....

28. Misfit1

Misfit1

I placed an order with Howells Aug 26th after talking to them to see if the had a roof filler and deck skin for a model A. I was assured they would be shipped out the 27th. After four days I called for attacking number. No answer, left a message no call back. After 4 weeks of waiting for a courtesy call on a tracking number, numerous calls with no care or concern for me as a customer. After I went on the BBB web sight and found out they are not a member, they have an F rating and 27 complaints I decided enough was enough. I requested a refund through Paypal to which the next day. After going back and fourth with Howells I came to believe they really don't care about the customer. Never again will I purchase through Howells. I found a Brookville deck skin and has already been shipped! On Instagram I found three professional sheet metal fabricators who can make the roof skin filler! Howells better take not and realize that if they don't clean up their act they will be out of business!