Register now to get rid of these ads!

help need stud size fron 40-48 front ford drum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HELLMET, May 20, 2008.

1. HELLMET

HELLMET

had the old drums taking off my hubs and need some new studs they threw my old ones away. they will be hubs only no drums what size stud and nerl i looked at one i think its about 3/4 long out of the hub does that sound right . thanks any pics a sizes would be great. billy

2. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Billy, you can get the wheel studs from C.W. Moss in Orange. They are 1/2-20 thread and they press in.
    Jimmy White

3. HELLMET

HELLMET

hi jimmy i have to get local dont know when im going to the oc . billy

4. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I can get them, and UPS them to you. Oh wait does UPS go to HEMET? Let me know, I can get them tomorrow, And ship them from there.
    Jimmy White

5. there was a post on here to make the drum a slip on (in front of the hub), i'll see if i can find it.

6. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

Do you have to swedge them in? what kind of equipment do you need other than a press?

7. Rusty

Rusty

You will need to measure your holes. I have heards and seen the whole size vary. I am in the process of doing this now when replacing new USA drums on stock hubs and am having to go up a size in lugs. You want to be within .o25 before pressing in. Hope this helps

Rusty

8. alchemy

alchemy

40-41 and 42-48 are different styles. Which do you have? Is the hub on the outside, or the inside?

Early used a special stud made only for those hubs. Later could use any stud that fits, but like Dirty said, you'll need to measure your hole for the proper interference fit.

9. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Stock studs will be to short. If you go to the local auto parts store and ask to see the Dorman fastener book and look in the lug stud selection, there are the pictures and the dimensions of the studs available. If you are using the new replacement drums you are also going to have to use one that is longer than stock due to the increased thickness of the new drums. And as previously mentioned you are going to have to take an internal measurement of the hole in your hub to find the closest stud to fit . This may require that you ream the hub hole slightly to match the new stud.

10. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

If the hole measures .630 (as mine did) try this dorman P/N 610-085. Knurl size is .655, has a 5/16" shoulder and is 1-9/16" long, 1/2X20 thread.