Register now to get rid of these ads!

need some early caddy v8 with automatic info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saoutlaws_Gotti, May 19, 2008.

1. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

man im pretty good around cars but wow this one has me stumped.........I drove my 100% stock 49 caddy around the block the other day and it shifted a lil weird..... so tonight while messing around under the hood, i decided to check the tranny fluid.......... Damm if i couldnt find a dipstick for the tranny............. Anyone know something i dont know....... can u point me in the direction of the trans dipstick or is there not one... If not one how do i check the level and add to it if needed?

also was wanting to know if anyone knows where i can get a trans pan gasket and new filter............. Hell as far as that is concerned how much fluid does it hold......... lol man i feel stupid asking these questions

any info would be greatly appreciated

2. caddydave

caddydave

3. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

omg what have i gotten myself into ....lol thanks Dave

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The fill/check level stick is probably accessable through the passenger side floor board; look under the car to get a better idea of where it might be.

5. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

What 56sedandelivery said. There is a access port on, or near the passenger side of the transmission hump.

6. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

what kinda fluid does it take guys ?

7. What do you mean by "shifted weird" Those early Hydramatics shifted weird compared to todays trannys. My grandad has a '41 Cad with the hydro, that thing shifts really weird! Sucker is already in high gear before you get through the intersection... grandad says that's the way they were, he outta know since he's older than dirt.

8. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

There is an access panel on your floor. Hydro's shift kind of weird, You need to make sure your kick down is adjusted properly as well, The tranny wont shift good if the throttle pressure isnt right.
    Good Luck
    Jimmy White

9. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

i took of from the house at a very subtle speed and halfway down the block it shifted, bucked and then freespun like u put it in nuetral.....once the rpms lowered it pulled again....... kinda like a turbo 350 would do if it was low on fluid