Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just lowered my truck! 65 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slick64, May 20, 2008.

1. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

I lowered the front a while ago with AIM dropped I beams. Then I took my bed off to repair the rusted out floor. While the bed was off I Fliped the axle and C notched the frame. I just got the bed back on sunday. I'll take it off again this weekend to finish up the rear suspension details.

So here is what it looks like now. Still a long way from finished but I'm working on it. I think the front needs to come down 2"

[​IMG]

2. FONZI

FONZI

Lookin good. Love them F100s

3. du$ty

du$ty

did you change your perches at all or just notch and flip?how do you plan on getting the front lower...springs?
    im planning on all this stuff too..so far just cut one coil.heard ya can do two without frigging up the camber too much...ive also been looking at possible clips..your truck look great.

4. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

looks good, i did the same rear axle flip on my 53 and it made a world of difference

5. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

Went to my local 4x4 shop and picked up a set of spring pads for $25 Thats the only money I spent on the rear suspension. bolted everything up the way I wanted and tacked the perches on. Then took it apart and welded. Then put the c notch in. I'll tget a pic and post it when I take the bed back off.

I'm going to cut the spring to bring the front down a little more. Not sure if I can get 2" . If I can't i might bring the back up and inch. don't really want to do that though.

Mike

6. du$ty

du$ty

good info..would love to see the picts..im in the middle of deciding how radical im gonna go..the dropped beams are not cheap..and some of the clips are complex..my 65 was bought to be my driver when not on my bike so i can finish the shoebox nice...so im trying not to get to carried away..but its been out of control since i brought it home.haha

7. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

What's the plans for the VW in the garage???

8. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

It's a 73 standard beetle. A friend and I do some side work and we are doing the body and paint work on this car. Putting pans in it too. turned out to be a bigger job than I first thought. Lots of hidden rust and some unseen body damage. But it's coming alone. I need to get it done so I can spend more time on the truck.

Mike

9. How low was the front beam drop?

10. 272sedan

272sedan

Hi I just put the aim beams on my daughters 1970 f100 was your front toed way out after the install and did you have to ream out the tie rod extenders to get the tie rods to fit,just curious to know if my kit was the only one like this or do they all come like that

11. hot rod newt

hot rod newt

If you trim the coils, only do a little at a time. A full coil will drop it more than you think. Been there. I put dropped beams and dropped shackles on my '65 f-100 in the late '90s (can't remember if they were AIM) and havent had a bit of trouble. At that time I also put front spindles, discs, and master cyl. out of a '75 on it and it stops alot better. If you need more coils, they will fit all the way up to the early '90s. Good luck.

12. Looks good, really good!I'd go lower in front for sure.
    I just clipped and C notched my 66Merc truck and it turned out pretty good, and low!

-Shiny

13. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

I beam drop was 3" plus one coil cut from the springs in that pic.

I think it was toed out a little. I did an alignment after I installed them but I can't remember what the specs where.
    I think the tie rod relocators suck. I didn't ream them but I'm sure it would have helped if I had. they where a pain to install. I still don't like them to much but they seem to be working so far.

[​IMG]

Here are the pics of my C notch. You can see it's pretty simple. I took a 5" pipe and cut in half. cut the frame to match and welded it in. I need to move my shocks though. Now they will bottom out on big bumps. Also have to reroute my exhaust. it's a little too close to the axle. I'm trying to decide if I want side exit exhaust or just run a steeper bend over the axle. I had side exhaust on my 64 f100 and I liked it but I also like the rear exit.

mike

14. du$ty

du$ty

looks badass..motivates me to drop mine more...

15. I think they look perfect with that stance.

16. drs50

drs50
    from Guthrie

heres my son in laws truck

Attached Files:

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice work, I was just refered to your thread and I am glad I found it that notch looks easy, I think I will put a boxing plate on the inside when I do mine.

18. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

Truck looks real good man. Super job, I grew up in one of those my dad had. They are some of my favs. Yours is an excellent example

19. blown green t

blown green t

I had a '65 F-100 many years ago, I was to cheap/broke to buy dropped I-beams. I cut 2 coils off the springs and found an old alignment shop that bent the I-beams to get the camber correct. It rode like a mini truck but it looked cool!