Register now to get rid of these ads!

How I torture myself...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WQ59B, May 10, 2008.

1. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Heidlebergers also on Bunker lake road was a toxic dump. It seems every once in a while his tire piles would burn. You could see the smoke 14 miles away in Nowthen.
    I hung around there in the 60's he had a yard full of classics he would not sell a single part off from, he would sell the entire car for a project.
    After the old man died there was an auction to sell off the cars that were left, probably 200 or more cars.
    Moms salvage to the west of him was his youngest sons yard.

Just a note in high school we used Bunker lake road for a Dragstrip when we thought the cops were coming we would park in Heidlebergers auto parts yard untill the cops left.
    It also was directly on the end of the old Minnesota drag strip, an interisting way to watch a drag race fron the end of the track.

jim h

2. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

This one is the old "Auto Parts City". It was east of the others by about 3 or 4 miles. It's not in business as a junkyard anymore, but they use it as an insurance salvage/auction yard.
    There was another yard just Southeast of this one on Highway 65 and Bunker called Whitey's. This was a yard FULL of old stuff until the early 2000's. They crushed/sold out to another yard. This property is now also an Insurace salvage/auction yard called "Copart". This one is less than a mile from my house!

3. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Auto parts city was one of the better yards on Bunker lake road before it went into insurance auction yard.
    Their cars were well inventory was never much for real old cars or trucks though.

jim h

there are no auto salvages left on Bunker lake road any more, It is all strip malls and houses, The old Minnesota dragways in now being build up with houses, It use to be home to Yahama R & D after it was a drag strip.

4. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Anoka auto wrecking was where we went mostly for late model stuff. There was a guy by the name of "Mike" who worked there. I was always amazed how he knew from memory what was on most of the cars. He later owned North Metro autosalvage in East Bethel. He sold it a few years ago for some good $. I still see him about once a year. Quite a nice guy, he remembers me, and always asks about my Dad too, as he bought ALOT of stuff from Mike.

I loved going to the compost site when the remains of the dragstrip were still there. I always wanted to sneek in and take a few pictures.
    It was all still there, including the tower, strip, etc.

5. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Still there, not sure how much old tin is still available though. Scored some old sun tachs this past summer, and there are still a couple flatheads laying around.

6. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

thats freaking nuts. all of it... gone.

someone made out like a fat rat at the scrap man though.

7. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

You are sick the worst part is now I am doing it too damn it.

8. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

It's funny how some of these owners are hard headed and won't work with you, or is it their lazy help? Anyway, around here you can't get any information over the phone unless you know the guys. Luckily I do and can get answers. I guess my point is, if these old relics are so valuable, why don't these guys sell the shit out of them, to guys like us, and retire to Florida,or some other place, a rich man? Instead, they die and the decendants sell the stuff for little of nothing, and go back home only to buy the lastest HD TV or some shit. The only thing else I can say is I think my stuff just went up in value. What do ya'll think?

Sad time bro, sad times.:(

9. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Manchur's was on my weekly visit list in the late 70s. My Pop and I redid my shoe box out of there. Remember that old MotoGuzzi that Sal had?

There was a yard in the Sourland Hills in the Hopewell area but I can't remember the name of it. There were trailers strewn around the yard that the "family" lived in. The only thing more vicious than the hornets and the dogs were the little dirt encrusted kids that popped out of the cars.... lol....good times!

10. WQ59B

WQ59B

John: Sal must got rid of his 'bike by the time I was there in the '80s- never saw him on one. Then again- the '80s was a few months ago....

The Hopewell yard was Meszaros'. I was there once talking w/ the man and the screen door on the house kept banging open and each time a barefoot gap-toothed kid would shoot out, musta happened 9 times and each time it was a different kid. Never got in the back but at the time ('80s again)- I did not see anything of interest among the 800000 tires there. All gone years ago.

I'll be goin' thru Hopewell Thursday- I'll spin by where it was and report.

11. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

That's it Meszarros! Oh man....I grew up in Trenton and we pulled lots of part out of there also... Great stuff...you're deeply disturbed! lol.....:)

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

13. WQ59B

WQ59B

Wow, 80-damned-acres! Wish I was within sensible distance.

Geese Auto Salvage, 1701 Spruce Lane, Perkasie PA, 215-795-2302. Recommended by an vintage wrencher about 5 years ago- haven't made it there yet. 2006:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  14. showrod

showrod

I visited a yard in Wisconsin once in the 80's called cooleys. full of old iron. I often wonder if it is still around. anyone familiar with it?

15. WQ59B

WQ59B

Got a nearby town on Cooley's, showrod?

16. showrod

showrod

no town but I still have a number {715} 832-7163 sure I could call...but an arieal map would be more fun.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm still waiting for Gulf war surplus Predator drones to hit the surplus store...search the state or check out your favorite yard right from the living room!

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

cooleys would be in eau claire fellers...

19. WQ59B

WQ59B

Cooley's Truck & Auto Wrecking, 1230 S 82nd Ave, Eau Claire WI. 1999:

[​IMG]

2005:
    [​IMG]

Too the north @ the end of 82nd Ave, there's a small quantity of stuff sitting.... plus a few back in the trees.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  20. showrod

showrod

thanks for searching this, I wasnt being lazy, I didnt know I had their # till I went to look for the town. I,d like to go back their and check things out again.any HAMBers been their lately?

21. WQ59B

WQ59B

Feel like doin' a few more of these.

Windy Hill Auto Parts, County Rd 9 NE & 40th Ave NE, New London, MN. This one always fascinated me (from abroad); 1991 description: "150 acres of 1915 to 1986 cars & trucks, 25 years in the business".

1991:
    [​IMG]

2003:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  22. kein

kein

Any you Jersey guys know of any places to go anymore in the south Jersey area to pick up older stuff. I haven't been to a yard in years and I figured they were all gone.

23. WQ59B

WQ59B

I'm not a south Jersey crawl expert, but there's 2 I've heard referenced more than once: Friendship, 58 New Rd, Tabernacle, and Unique Auto Salvage, Jackson (NJT: EX 7A > 195 E: EX 22, ramp end: left, 2nd light: left.

24. kein

kein

I'll check them out this summer. Gives me a good reason for a road trip. Thanks

25. WQ59B

WQ59B

Fryer Brothers, Kirbytown Rd, Middletown NY. One of the... most interesting characters I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Bare wood/tarpaper shack, attack chickens. Should've gone there more than only twice.

1994:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. WQ59B

WQ59B

Ralph's, Linville VA. Was featured in an unknown issue of Car&Parts. Purging began between '97 & '00.

1989:
    [​IMG]

2007:
    [​IMG]

27. WQ59B

WQ59B

28. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I used to do satellite imaging for the government. We had access to some crazy equipment. I would drive myself mad all day doing this exact thing. Found a lot of cool stuff that way!

29. joebuick

joebuick

wow this is one of the most interesting threads i have ever seen

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

This is super cool , thanks for posting this!