Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock aluminum heads rusting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eightydeuce, May 20, 2008.

1. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

I bought a pair of brand new edelbrock heads for my flathead about a year ago and now they have very noticeable rust spots over them. I also bought a repo thickstun intake at the same time and it still looks fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. I have a fairly new Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and it is doing the same thing you mention. Must be some sort of iron content in the aluminum???

3. What you're actually seeing is oil/ fuel stains (stained from the inside out) Edlebrock castings are somewhat more porous than other manufacturer's. I paint my intakes w/ a good heavy coat of aluminum paint before installation. Keeps 'em looking like new...

4. angie1313

angie1313

I have used Edelbrock heads a number of times and not once have they rusted for me...

Have you called them to find out for sure?

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

They could have blasted them with some iron in the sand blast after the cast process. A sand recovery system would pull that kind of shit. By rights they should not be mixing the base material in the blaster if it has a recovery system.

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've also heard of aluminum "rusting" if any kind of buffer used on steel first is used one them, as it can imbed very small steel pieces into the aluminum. Grinding near aluminum and throwing sparks onto it can also do the same thing.

-Brad

7. onedge

onedge

Have a Summit dual plane done the same. Lots of dots all over it. Looks really bad. White chalky dust over the rest of it. Started right out of the box new. Figured China learning how to...

8. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I've not seen it on my Edelbrock heads, but it is happening on my Edelbrock water pump.:confused:

9. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

They are aware of the problem

Gary

Edelbrock Tech Tip:
    Cleaning Your Edelbrock Aluminum Intake Manifold

[​IMG]
    While networking with consumers at shows and events, we learn a lot about our customer and what they want from Edelbrock. The old adage, "necessity is the mother of invention" is very true in most cases. This leads us to the question that has incited us to write this Edelbrock Tech Tip feature, "How do you recommend I clean my Edelbrock intake manifold"?

Edelbrock intake manifolds are manufactured from a sand cast process utilizing 808 aluminum alloy and have an as-cast wheel-a-brated finish. As-cast is defined as a raw aluminum finish without any protective coating. As-cast aluminum is porous and can absorb under-hood chemicals such as dirt, grease and fuel, resulting in discoloration, rust, or staining. All Edelbrock intake manifolds are as-cast unless offered in our high-luster EnduraShine™ or PermaStar® coated finishes.
    Once a porous aluminum finish is stained, it can be very difficult to find an environmentally safe cleaner that will actually extract the blemish from the pores of the aluminum. In our research in finding a safe and effective alternative, Edelbrock has found an aluminum cleaner option that can work effectively, OxiSolv Aluminum Cleaner. It is important to follow OxiSolv's instructions to prevent damage to other parts on your engine.
    Manufactured by OxiSolv, a manufacturer of industrial and commercial cleaning products, OxiSolv Aluminum Cleaner is effective for use in cleaning our as-cast aluminum intake manifolds, cylinder heads, and water-pumps when used as directed. Edelbrock does not sell OxiSolv, however you can visit the following websites for additional product information and locations on where to purchase. For Detailed OxiSolv Product Information Click Here.

10. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

If its absorbing underhood nastiness, such as oil and grease, and fuel, etc...
    why is it that my brand new finned valve covers did this...right after it rained on my hoodless car?
    They were brand new, I put them on, I drove a few hours, I parked it, they were spotless...It rained, the car was outside, the next morning : rust. Brown rust...
    Any ideas?

11. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I can assure you that the Aluminum itself is not rusting :)

12. I don't have the problem with a manifold, but my "new style" Holley (letters on the side instead of the bowls) is doing it too. I thought it was a fuel leak, but it doesn't, hasn't or ever did leak. It's wierd.

Jay

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ideas?? hell ya my idea is that oil will not rust. And your problem is a result of a sloppy casting process. Introduction of iron...

14. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

That was my idear too...
    I'm going with that one until I hear a better one presented...;)

15. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

my manifold is doing it too....see the goldish-tint? I haven't been able to find JACK that'll make it go away either.

[​IMG]

16. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks more like stains from heat/oil/gas fumes
    Gary