Register now to get rid of these ads!

the pics are here. "62 IMPALA CHOPTOP"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dr chucky, Jan 21, 2007.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all you need to do now is call D'Augustino and find out where he has those $3,000. custom made windshields done. looks like you may need one for the back glass too.

you other choice is to call Ol' Skool Rods and see if they will put it on the cover. plexiglass and sheetmetal screws are the norm over there.

2. Church

Church
    from South Bay

oooooooph.

sweet gargoyle.

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If posting those pics was your attempt at proving us wrong, then it failed as miserably as you did chopping that car.

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

4. poorboy

poorboy

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

WOW
    Harsh words...
    I am glad to see it is welded up and wasn't a failure.
    I still think the winshield should be laid back, the roof looks a little long through the center.
    I always tried to chop my 64 chevy model cars, and they always came out like that , super long through the center.

6. customcory

customcory

Try these guys for glass. http://www.trivalleyautoglass.com/ . I hope they will cut my windshield for my 51 Chevy. You don't see to many chopped 62's , so I find it refreshing to see one cut down. That body style dosen't lend itself to chopping that good and you did good with what you had. Plenty of room for lace or metalflake panels on that roof now!:D

7. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

What sucks is that it looks like it was a nice solid 2 door. Now it looks like a picnic table.

8. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Man y'all are rough, shit!

I don't think it looks to bad, but the glass is going to be a problem. I agree, the windshield needs to be laid back, but to late now. Looks like you got it cleaned up pretty good, but I would still look for another top and take it back to square one.

9. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i am amazed you did get it put back together but as much as a hate to say anything negative about anyones car....................it really looks like crap. those cars were never meant to be chopped, they were dead on from the factory. thats why you chop a car to make it flow and improve a design. all you did was make it look like a pancake and a burnt one at that.

10. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Figure out what you're going to use for a windshield NOW, and fit the frame around it. Ya can't shape glass to fit whatever opening you end up with.

11. I would
    1) make a pattern from the existing windshield from a splash coat of Fiberlass, and use it for mock up
    2) Have the windshield cut according to what you find mocking up- best compromise
    3) Buy one of those shrinker/stretchers fron Eastwood
    4) Build a window channel for the new piece o'windshield with the shrinker/stretcher (easier than you think)
    5) Build A-pillars to fit the shape of the window channel
    6) have front window cut to accomodate any changes in shape of A-pillar (is this a hardtop??)

12. exactly.

13. Looks like you proved the haters wrong man, don't you live down the street from where Nick & Lisa used to live in Santa Cruz?

14. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

you turned a chevy into a 61 ford...

15. bubba

bubba
    from Topeka Ks

I would have to agree with Kenny [choprods] I've seen better looking tops on picnic tables

16. flaked62merc

flaked62merc

wow i thought building cars was about doing what you wanted not what everyone else has already done before you but hey he likes it , i forgot roth , barris , and winfield they were just destoying perfectly good cars too ,,, opps oh no im straying from the herd ...............................................................moo

17. I agree- besides, giving an opinion is one thing- but making some sort of statement that the chop just flat-out sucks, without seeing it close-up, and before it's even complete may indicate that you don't really know what you're talking about anyway.

18. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

when your done trying to make that horrible thing have glass let me know i need some parts for my 62.

A note to some of you guys that are retarted. Some times the factory gets shit right. this means leave it the fuck alone. and im all for chopping cars, but not just to chop em.

19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Take her back to the barber. That haircut is all wrong. Admire the work but the car looks wrong

20. Yeah- OK, on a second look it's great got attitude for being so damn cut down, but is missing a bit on style points. Gots to have attitude AND style.

There is a swept character line on the the side of the car- below the beltline. The side glass DLO needs to follow that.
    It's pretty much just horizontal right now, giving a real square feel- like, well...a '61 Galaxie.

Anyway- there's still time to fit an AMC Marlin roof on it!
    (or whatever this is..)

[​IMG]

21. primed55

primed55

FUCK all these dudes... At least you're doing it yourself, most of these guys idea of building a car is dropping off a check each week... For eveyone saying it looks like shit or looks like a trendy Ol' Skool rod, to me it just looks like a work in progress. I know this car (ever since it was in the yard on the frontage road) and i bet if any of these dude saw Corey or Moby in person their dot-com balls would shrink up and they wouldn't be saying shit...

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I do believe it is a 1960 Plymouth roof...Marlins had a smaller flatter rear window.

R-

[​IMG]

23. onedge

onedge

tough challenge, do not get discouraged! find another top to work along with it.

24. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

i wouldnt go so far as to say it looks like shit... but it is very hard to improve upon the look of a bubbletop Impala. i think maybe you just fucked with perfection.

but finish it out, and prove everyone wrong. i dislike the fact that the car has been sitting with a chopped up roof for a year and a half more than i do the look of the car.

25. HoldFast

HoldFast

That's what I was thinking.... haaaa.

Highway Murderers FTW.

Oh and Dave... yeah this is the guy right down the road from where Nick used to live.

26. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

just so you guys know this was never a bubble top. bubble tops were not impala's they were biscayne's this was a 2 door sport coupe. same roof as a 63-64 impala. and olds used this roof as well. And i think every one that has talked shit about this car has chopped a car them selves and is far froma check book rodder. There is a formula you want to follow when chopping a car. 1/3 glass to 2/3 body. were a little shy on that. yea great for the dude doing it him self but just cause you can doesnt mean you should.

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Correction DirtyT...Bel Airs...NOT Biscaynes...

Also Pontiacs used the same roof...

R

28. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

Maybe a REAL bubble top is in order... do it up show rod style.....ed roth, daryl starbird ect...
    btw like they said the only real " bubble tops" were 62 belaires.
    All 61 hardtops had the bubble top, 62 was the only year with the 2 different tops.

29. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

you need to start over.....have you thought about trying to weld in a stock roof? Those look good on the 62s

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've seen that red '63 before.. it's got a '60/61 Dodge or Plymouth hardtop roof on it. Looks pretty slick. You might consider something like that for the '62.. because that huge flattened roof is just not working. I think the owner/builder realizes that since it's sitting there years later still missing its glass. :eek:

I know where a '57 DeSoto 2dr hardtop roof and glass is in Austin.. might be interesting. :D