Register now to get rid of these ads!

42-48 axle under Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeepSouthRick, May 19, 2008.

1. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Picked up a nice vintage drilled front axle, appears to be out of a 42-48 Ford (spring perch holes are about 41 inches center-to-center, and king pin holes are about 51 inches center-to-center).

Anyone see any problem using this axle under a Model A (no fenders)? The main difference seems to be that this axle is will set the wheels and spring perches about 2 inches further away from the frame on each side. I already have split the A wish bone and was planning to use those for the front trailing arms.

I'd have to get a fat fendered spring for it, too -- I presume that spring would be stiffer than a Model A spring. But we're using a 302 in this project.

Before I go to a whole lot of trouble to use this axle in a Model A frame, thought I'd see if anyone else had done this or had any thoughts about it.

At this point, it's either 1) Use the fat fender axle, 2) find someone to drop the original A axle, or 3) break down and just buy a whole axle kit from Speedway and be done with it.

Rick

2. Flatman

Flatman

The later springs are wider than the A springs, how's the fit in your crossmember?

Flatman

3. R Pope

R Pope

Flip the main leaf and remove a leaf or two, your rod will be lighter than a '48 sedan. Or use an "A" spring with a new custom-built main leaf, any spring shop will do that. Depending on the offset of your wheels, there may be some rubbing at full lock with split 'bones. You can "V" notch and bend 'em in so they miss.

4. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Aren't those dimensions close to the A axle? I had or thought I had a dropped A axle and the king pin to king pin dimension was about 51" or 51-1/2", but thought the perches were a little wider.
    It should work find as long as the spring width is 1-3/4" so it will fit up in the crossmember.
    You can always have a spring made with 36-1/2 eye to eye distance.
    I later went with a narrower 46" king pin to king pin because I didn't like the look of the wider axle.....................IMHO

Attached Files:

5. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about how the wider axle will look, but then, this drilled axle looks really cool, which is why I want to use it.

Crap... the later springs are 2 inches wide, I think. So I'm looking at a custom spring if I use this axle.

Any recommendations for a spring shop to do the work?

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I don't have pics on this computer but had a dropped '46 under my old A. Converted it to a spring over set up with Speedway long perches and had a new main leaf made (ran about $50). I liked the look. I'll try to post a pic when I get home.

7. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I had my spring made a Moore Spring in Stockton, CA..............but I'm sure if you have a local spring shop they can fix you up with one. I had mine made with reverse eyes, and actually had it made to wide.........32" eye to eye.............so it didn't get used. I think I paid $75 for the complete spring with 7/8 leaves. I also had them put teflon buttons in the ends of the leaves..................Here is a picture of the shorter axle...................

Attached Files:

8. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

I have this axle in my A coupe, with spring-over, and split bones. After much searching and measuring, I just bought the Posies spring for this setup, Posies #1025. Cost me $200 from Pete&Jakes, with free shipping as an Alliance member. :D It's 1-3/4" wide, reverse eye, fits like a glove. I had emailed Posies for my application - model A, flathead V8, etc., so I'm guessing the spring rate and all will work fine.

Sorry no pics - I just put in the spring last week.

Here are some older pics of just the axle, and the car. (no spring in the car photo, frame's just sitting on the axle.)

I've got econoline spindles and brakes on the axle. I got a complete econoline front end cheap, so all in all the costs worked out great, for what is now my complete front end setup - spring, axle, spindles, hubs, juice brakes, drums, wheels, etc. - even with the 2 bills for the spring.

Good luck
    Pete

Attached Files:

9. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

This is perfect -- I checked the Posie's site and yep, the 1025 is exactly what I need. I had wanted to use Posie slides, anyway, so this saves me from having to spec out a custom spring.

Your axle setup is about like mine: I'm having to pop for the new spring, but I'm using F100 hubs & brakes (leftover from when I converted my 56 F100 to disc) to get juice brakes -- this is a traditional rod buildup, in that we (my son and I) are using as much stuff as we already have, or people give us, or we pick up at swap meets. Plus, building the rod piece by piece is a good education for him and keeps him away from video games and in the real world.

Rick

10. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Looks like you got your answer but here is the pic of the '46 axle under my old A.

Attached Files:

• a1.JPG
      a1.JPG
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views:
  11. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Thanks for the photo! I don't think that I'd even notice it was a few inches wider, just by looking. Even so, that drilled axle looks so damn cool, it won't matter.

I think we'll be fine in looks and in function.

Rick

12. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Quick follow-up:

Yep, probably will end up scrubbing the tires against the split bones, once it's all in place. I'll deal with that once everything is assembled, Vega box in place, and I can see exactly how much clearance I need.

-- Rick