Register now to get rid of these ads!

What ever happened to Jeff Beck??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by time-bomb john, May 17, 2008.

1. Just listening to the Crazy Legs cd from Jeff and was wondering what he`s been up to. I know he had a couple of deuces back home and is a hot-rod guy, but haven`t heard anything from about him lately.Is Brizio building him a car???......Time-Bomb John

2. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Brizio is building Clapton another one, a Vicky this time. I haven't heard anything about Beck in a little while. Funny, I was just listening to some Rory Gallagher (Moonchild and Bad Penny, live at the 1985 Montreaux Jazz Festival) and Jeff Beck popped into my head, wondering if he is still kicking. Weird huh?

3. Jeff's around.. And I was listening to Rory Gallagher last night too! I've got the Montreaux complie as well. Last saw him in 78, before he got too fat and sick. I still feel kinda sorry for him the way he went.

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

The first concert I ever went to was in 1968 while I was stationed at Ft. Sill, Ok. Went to the Oklahoma City Civic Center to see Jeff Beck play. There was probably all of about 100 people there, if that.

5. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

Rory Gallagher ROCKS. pm me on Rory. Jeff toured some last year including the States. I think Beth Hart was lead singer a couple of tours ago and Jimmy Hall ex-Wet Willie before her. The Crazy Legs Lp is great. I want to see Jeff Beck and Robert Randolph onstage together.

6. Judd

Judd

Beck is on Claptons crossroads festival 2007 in Chicago DVD, great performance.Great DVD. Beck looks in good health but Johnny Winter looks like he had a stroke or something ( and can still blow me away on guitar d*&it ).

7. Searcher

Searcher

8. Jimv

Jimv

Jeff beck is still around but they say hes one misreable asshole, no one want to work with him, hes the worse of the worse ( i guess van morrison is right there with him). its a perfect example of "putting yourself out of bussiness) Brillant guitarist, probably second best after Clapton,but no one wants the hassle of using him.
    I remember a few years ago Slash was doing something with him& he accused slash of giving him a cold or the wrong coffee or something stupid & "went home with his baseball"!!lol
    But in his defense, he builds & works on his own cars & i beleive there all 32 fords!
    JimV

9. Road Runner

Road Runner

10. Hey he talks to me,he can,t be all bad.He loves his hotrods,has a perfect copy graffiti coupe and then some,and apparently is some sort of guitar player or in a band,,,,,,,,,,,,,top man:cool:

11. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Brilliant bloke , great guitarist, (very intense ) great Hot Rodder & fellow Deuce lover , all around a cool package.he does work on his own cars & has Brizio build him some too . Here he is jamming with Jimmy Vaughan , another top bloke guitar & car guy , & Billy G along with Michael Anthony , as they prepare for the 75th Deuce party at the Petersen Museum. We got to watch them prepare the music ,off the cuff , jamming & getting ready for the gig. Unbelievable to see these guys doing what they love, the fun they were having , along with the concentration to get it right was an eye opener. Jeff seemed to be the catalyst for a lot of the music. Very memorable.

Attached Files:

12. 53burb

53burb

I had a chance years ago, at Pomona Car and Swap Meet, to say hi to him. I believe it was like 1986? He was there looking at parts and I felt that it was best that I let him be out of respect. I did. Now, Billy Gibbons on the other hand, that guy can talk your ears off when it comes to cars and hot rods. KNUX!

13. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

I normally hate tribute/cover albums, but that Crazy Legs is absolutely incredible. I think it's one of the best rockabilly albums ever made, not only for his guitar playing, but because of the band and the way it was recorded. He completely nailed it.

If I'm not mistaken, I think he's still in Spinal Tap too!

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not my experience at all. Worked with him at one point when I was involved with the music industry a few years back. Actually was really easy to deal with. Unlike Slash who was a real prick in the late 80's, but we'll chock that one up to being fucked up all the time. And if you ask Clapton he'll tell you "Beck is God"... Now my understanding is Jeff is all about doing what he wants to do, and if you don't want to do it he really doesn't have the time for you. I understand that and wish I had the luxury to do that as well... He's been one of my favorite guitarists for quite sometime, has never left the top 5 for the last 30 years... Now Eddie Van Halen, he was someone that I didn't think would be hard to work with, but he was unbearable...

I hope you're joking. Because that is just a great big WTF.... never was dude....

15. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

I hope you're joking. Because that is just a great big WTF.... never was dude....

WTF?! You were in the music business and have never seen Spinal Tap?

Nigel Tufnel is a blatant spoof of Jeff Beck. I don't think Beck was too upset about it, he appeared in Return Of Spinal Tap.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's not all Beck dude... though the haircut is... Spinal Tap is a spoof of a bunch of bands from the 70's... I don't think they left anyone get away without taking a dig at them....

17. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Duly noted. It was just a reference to the man's breadth of influence.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep, though the name "Nigel Tufnel" is a direct dig at Clapton. The violin bow is vintage Jimmy Page....

It's one of my favorite movies.... It's fun to sit and pick out who they're making fun of... Robert Plant attributes the getting lost on the way to the stage to Zepplin in Baltimore...

19. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

I think the real moral of this story is that LOOK who influenced Jeff Beck namely his tribute CD crazy legs..

I mean Gene Vincent , Cliff Galup, Johnny Meeks.

As a person of the stature of Jeff beck is a brilliant guitarist in his own right, you just don't do a tribute album without some HEAVY thank you's to the originators of rock and roll...
    or in some of Gene Vincents songs ----- 1950's punk rock

Just speaking .

Rome

20. This has been an interesting thread ,musically speaking of course.I can`t believe how many of you guys are so plugged in to the music scene. Being a blues piano player I really admire great guitar players who are into cars and have tastefull licks.I`m sure SRV would have built a great Kustom, God rest his soul...........Time-Bomb John

21. williebill

williebill

Gee thanks,guys for posting that youtube link...I've now pissed away about 3 hours going from Jeff Beck,to Stevie Winwood,to KING CRIMSON,to Yes...OMG,life was simpler when my computer was too damn slow to do youtube...

22. monsterflake

monsterflake

i just spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out what rory gallagher song i know, and i can't believe there's nothing on youtube!
    it's 'country mile' from 'calling card', anybody have a link to a video for that?

23. Let me check with my "underground source" (53Burb)and i'll get back to you. He's like the TMZ of the Hotrod world, LOL!!!!!

24. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Hey Beck cant be all bad he has a pretty decent copy of the graffiti coupe. but he should "go out and win himself a few races then c'mon back and I'll show him a few things"

Jeff

25. 33HEMI

33HEMI

26. :cool:Beleive it or beleive it don,t but John Milner,he who plays Paul le Mat in some 2 bit car filem,came to England with Rick Figari,THE 2 Graffiti cars and the entourage;hold on I,m getting there.Anyway they turn up at The Ace midweek.who else turns up,Mary Poppins,no not that good,but Sir Jeff Beck(he has been knighted,surely?)complete with Graffiti Coupe #2.What a player.I don,t think I,ve got over it yet.He was totally unassuming and was just one of the guys digging the event.I think I.m gonna weep:D

27. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Say what you like about his personality (I don't know him, but I've heard good things from people who do know him), but Jeff Beck is and has been the hottest guitar slinger on the planet since at least 1970, when you-know-who passed on.

28. chilimac

chilimac

Beck is one of my all time favorites.Thanks for the youtube link,I spent some time listening to Beck,Clapton,SRV and Albert King tonight.

29. Met Jeff several times at The Ace in the past...I had no clue who he was till a mate of mine told me he was a 'rock legend' after I had finished talking with him....

Nice guy, into cars...thats all that matters.