Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dakota chassis under a 47-565 Chevy truck???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, May 17, 2008.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

anyone ever done it??? ElPolacko??? got a thinking of doing it. he did the S10 conversion (same as me) on his last one but is considering the Dakota route this time. anyone done it?? pros? cons??

Mike

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

3. There is a guy in Denver that put a wrecked Hemi Durango under one.

4. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i put one under my 41 plymouth coupe. i used s-10 air ride shit for the front and shortend it a little bit as well as a 12" c-notch and tri-angulated 4 link . There so close to a s10 the track width is dead on. only problem is you have 5 on 4.5" wheels but its not that big of deal really. the rack and pinion is a huge space saver and i i just made sbc mounts for mine by making a new crossmember right behind the stock one. and 2nd gen camaro headers work great.

5. 48fordcoe

48fordcoe
    from In

I put the dakota under my 48 ford truck ,it work out real nice...

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

The magnificent El Polacko will check in tomorrow (Monday), I'm pretty sure. The Dakota is his baby....

7. 38mag

38mag

I put a '93 Dakota chassis under a '38 Plymouth coupe.

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

I KNOW. i've been wondering why he has'nt chimmed in yet. i told my buddy that ElPolacko was the chassis/Dakota GOD.

9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Maybe PM him, he might be teasing his beard....

10. Fluffing the beard,

I have not used a full Dakota chassis under anything because they are pretty damn wierd. BUT I did have a customer use one under his 47 Dodge truck. His words, not mine "never again" as he bought a crossmember kit from me for his next project.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/ELpolacko/1955-1957%20Chevy%20truck%20frame/

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/ELpolacko/1955 Chevy truck sub-frame/

Two examples of some of the work

We don't currently have kits for the 43-53(5) chassis and are working on a new one at the moment. I do have in stock kits for the 55-59 trucks.

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

wonder what was so complicated about it????

12. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm working on putting a Dakota frame under a '50 F-1. Used a regular cab with a long bed-had to cut 10 inches out of the frame-cut it at the factory seam-under the rear of the cab. Will have to raise the floor in the bed due to the step up in the frame. Easily made or modified the cab mounts from the original F-1. Also went to a manual steering rack. The original power one was leaking. I'm running a 302 with a C-4. alex

13. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI