Register now to get rid of these ads!

problems with my new tig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by I SMELL SMOKE, May 18, 2008.

1. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i got anew tig welder this weekend well new to me any way.but every time i hit the pedal to start the arc my neighbors house alarm goes off.i would start the arc the alarm goes off they would turn it off id arc again it would come back on.this went on about 8 times or so.is this my problem or there's?

2. Steel Phoenix

Steel Phoenix

Sounds like you and/or your neighbor need to call an electrician.

3. pool

pool

I'd say it's the high frequency waves of the arc they do wild stuff to televisions too. If the wife pisses me off I just wait till she's watching her favorite T.V. program before I fire up mine, she still thinks it's the cable company.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, probably HF interferance, check your manual and/or call your dealer for proper grounding. Here's a Miller schematic:

Attached Files:

5. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

It sounds to me like a high frequency problem.Try grounding your machine separately from your work. That solved the same problem that happened in a shop I used to work at years ago. Same thing, except that when you hit the pedal, the phone would ring! Good luck.

Tim @ www.irrationalmetalworks.com

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Do you like your neighbors? Sounds like a fun opportunity to screw with someone in the wee hours.

7. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i was thinking the same thing................

8. Fogger

Fogger

All advice on grounding is valid. Is it 220 or 110? Either way check neutral and ground connections or call a electrician. My 220 Miller doesn't cause any interference. Good luck, The FOGGER

9. specialk

specialk

"interesting" side note, many ham radio operators have the same sort of problems. Even though their equipment is appropriately with FCC specifications, typical household electronics are not. The bad news is that people don't blame toshiba/jvc/rca/etc. when their TV doesn't work, they blame the guy with the big antenna.

As mentioned earlier, this does provide the ham the opportunity for late nite hijinks though ;)

10. AC high freq. will definitely foul up tv's around you....I hate my neighbors and have been screwin em up for years.....

I figure the same is goin on w/your neighbors alarm system...

the way I see it you have 2 choices:

1) cover up your windows so they dont see the arc and know its you and stay quiet about the welder

2) line the inside of your shop with lead sheet

11. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I like the way you think.