Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a 68 Mercury Cyclone GT 500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rfleener, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rfleener

rfleener

I recently purchased a 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 500. There were only 60 of these built (Marti Report) and I have been told they were built in conjunction with the World 600 or some other NASCAR race in 1968 in some way. Do you have any information, photos or other data that might help me in my research and restoration of this rare vehicle.

I believe all 60 were orange with some kind of stripes on the side and 500 emblems on the rear quarter panels.

The car is a 428 CJ with C6 trans, black bucket seats and the regular GT package plus the GT 500 option. What is the GT 500 option? I need pictures. I am trying to list all data as I get it on my web page at http://legendarycollectorcars.com on the Showroom page.
    <O:p> </O:p>
    Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.<O:p></O:p>

2. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Seen one yes... Saw one a few years back at daytona. Kinda wrong era for the HAMB bud. Nice ride thou:)

3. John Denich

John Denich

nice SPAM you own that website yet you claim you know nothing about that car???? besides this is a Hotrod and Custom website!!! but a 68 Mercury Cyclone is a Badass car!!!!

4. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

5. rfleener

rfleener

Sorry guys, I am just a car guy who is looking for some help. I like hot rods but have a problem identifying how a car I have should look when it is restored. Most car guys know something about all cars. Just hoped someone one here could help. Hey, I am open to a forum that is more appropriate. I have tried Mercury Club etc. No luck. I thought some old gearheads with a good memory could help. Sorry again to step on any toes.

6. jmgford

jmgford
    from Iowa

Wow, I just found this forum while searching for some '64 Thunderbolt information, (which there is a long thread on), so I guess that is as new as you guys go. I thought it was a pretty cool site. I am a member of the Fairlane Club, as is Fleener. This guy is legit and has a very unique car he is trying to get some info on.

As far as the google search, that link shows no reference to the GT500 model that he is looking to authenticate. This group seems kind of hostile to a new guy just looking for some information.:(

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It's not for this board, but I would like to see pictures. I have never heard of this- and my mom's first new car was a 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT 390 that I read everything I could find info about in my lifetime. Post a pic if you have one. Thanks Jim

8. 53burb

53burb

Now, that is funny. 1st time I laughed all day. Thank u for that flh4speed. KNUX!

9. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

What did Hans Melin say?say?

10. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

As a know nothing fuckwit newbie i'll agree they are kinda hard on new people , but believe me there is a mind trust of autos and auto related topics around here like no other..

11. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

I owned a 69 Cyclone a few years back and was able to get some great intel thru the Cyclone/Talladega Registry...Here is the website that might be able to help you :

http://www.lovefords.org/talladega/

They offer a VIN and production code explanation as well... hope this helps

12. wsdad

wsdad

There are some mighty big toes around here. They stick them out, hoping someone will step on them so they can yell at the unsuspecting. It makes their heads swell, but ultimately makes them smaller.

They remind me of Chihuahuas with clown feet and a welder.
    :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.