Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T - The Hot Rod Building is Slowing Down Now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane Dave, May 16, 2008.

1. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I debated whether to post this on here because of the backlash over O/T posts, BUT....

Here's my tie-in. I won't be buying any parts for the Fairlane for a while. How's that?

I just got the absolute bombshell that I am being laid off from my company in two weeks. I survived in the defense industry for 5 years and the automotive industry for 11 years without getting axed, but the telecom/electronics industry wasn't so kind.

The severance package is pretty small, but at least it's something.

So, if anyone around DFW needs a manufacturing or quality engineer....holler!

Again, sorry for the O/T post, but I needed to vent. Gotta tell the wife and kiddos tonight.

2. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

Sorry to hear that man. I worked at a Chevy dealership in so-cal last year. Was there for 4 years and times got slow. I was the first to go in my department. Then about 3 weeks later all the other guys in that department got canned as well. Auto repair industry isnt lookin so good right now. The shop im at now hasnt had a customer in 2 weeks. im hurtin.
    goodluck on the job search.
    Dave

3. that sucks , best of luck with the job search..

4. bigken

bigken

Dave that sucks, and sorry to hear that. Shoot me your resume at [email protected] .... I can shoot it to a couple folks.
    You still hittin' Propwash tomorrow? You could bring me a couple, there.

5. titus

titus

that sucks.

i run an automotive machine shop, busy as usual, in the last 3 years the other 2 local machine shops closed their doors, the business here hasnt increased a ton but its busier than the last few years.

the shop is int he back of an auto parts store and that end of the business is doing fine too, i think more people are trying to fix their cars instead of bringing them to shops for the work

jeff

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Things have been slower in the past year, so I've parted with a few projects. The projects will get built or at least worked on by others, and I still have my keepers, so i guess there are more guys working on more projects at a slower pace than in years past.

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Sorry to here about you job loss.

My furniture sales are way off this year after having a record 3rd quarter last year.
    But usualy sales are way off in a presidential election year, we will see what next winter brings.

jim h

8. Man its a shame your not in NJ. The production companies around me and the one I work for are doing very well. Mainly because a lot of our customers are overseas and they are taking advantage of the weak dollar.

I was going to move to Anna, TX to work for a railcar manufacturer but they stopped hiring right before a moved and quit my present job.

I dont know if it will help at all but you might want to try the friehgt railroads in your area. For some reason they are doing well and are constantly hiring. Norfolk Southern up here sends me a email every 4 months asking if Im still interested in a job.

Union Pacific & BNSF are two railroads to try. Your engineering background should be helpful.

Good Luck man.

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

Here in SoCal we are hurtin'......big time. The auto industry is on the ropes. I had to lay off six people since the first of the year........and three of those were well trained, commissioned techs. That hurts, is the worst part of my job.

10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

That's amazing, because there are shops her in Detroit looking for good techs & can't find them.

11. repoguy

repoguy

Because no one wants to live in Detroit!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

12. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

here in western az most of the shops are dead in the water no work no money no nothing, my shop is staying busy thank god cause we are a jeep specialty shop and all the old people here are into jeepin in the desert so there is always a way to spend there retirement money

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Best of luck Dave, sorry to hear that.

14. 53burb

53burb

Can I say one thing that will be the answer to this thread......ECONOMY!!! KNUX!

15. The Wizard!

The Wizard!

I'm going to stop in there this week or next and meet you! Need to drop off a 5.7 to be bored. Funny thing is you probably bored my 302 and I probably did meet you! LOL Crazy world anyway! I know Dave and Mike fairly well and work about a mile from you! :rolleyes:

16. Interesting.....no ?

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a.m. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.....

Rat

17. Fairlane..you need a little cheerin up so I'll just ask you ...just how hard is it to drive a train????? Joke intended......Hope you have LUCK in finding something.
    livin in Plano aint Cheap.....anymore..I used to live out in Parker....

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I know how you feel my axe is coming after 20 years 1-12-09, but I can probably say I am ready for a change.

19. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

Man, have you seen the houses in Parker lately? McMansions galore!

I'm renting a house in Plano right now, so we can downsize if we have to. Really, my main goal is to get something going soon so the kiddos don't feel too much of the pinch. I saw an opening in the Garland ISD for a technology teacher. Maybe I should explore a career change....

20. Fairlane....Yeah,I go thru Parker when I come to Plano..I maybe should have stayed in Parker..But the Taxes were starting to kill me..So I made a killing of my own when I sold the Place in Parker.....More than tripled my money on it...Good Luck again on finding something SOON..

21. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

My neice is a teacher for GISD and her husband works in the film department. Give me a call tommorow if there is anything I can do to help you. 972-948-1627

22. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Before you go there, better check into teacher certification. I have a degree in Industrial Arts NTSU and could have gone into teaching field back then. I chose manufacturing engineering as a career too. I worked at various jobs in all deciplines, even worked with Big Ken in telecom industry. Best job I ever had was at the Superconducting Super Collider as a Manf. Eng. But since our govt decided science projects are not worth the US investing in its future, that was shut down. I now have my own business building aluminum garden windows. Build rods part time and draw social security. If you have to move, you might try Ellis County. Homes are not near as expensive as Northern towns and there are industries in Grand Prairie that are easy to get to, and most are hiring ME's.

23. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you have a positive turn of events soon. Hearing your story reminds me of how fortunate I've been over the course of the last 26+years. I managed somehow to stay the course for 25 of those years prior to my retirement on New Years Eve 2006. I'm drawing a pension from the State of Illinois now, and I really can't complain. I decided last year to pick up a part time job delivering car parts for a local store 3 days (sometimes more) a week. I rarely ever work more than a 6 hour shift. The entire economic horizon has changed dramatically over the last 10 years or so. Most employees in today's market don't intend or expect to stay with the same employer for anything near the 25 years I was able to endure. The good news is that I'm still relatively young and (knock on wood) healthy. As merely a suggestion, I would suggest that you have as much fun as you can,when you can, and try to live each day to the fullest. That's what I've always tried to do, and my life has been a "pretty good run" so far. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

24. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Dave, one area of industry in our part of the country that is still booming is the Energy Exploration / Refining / Transmission sector.

I do Third Party Welding and Mechanical Inspection and my clients are covered up and have been for the past three years.

Always looking for good Electrical guys that can read and understant a P&ID.

But don't bitch when they try to work you 80 - 100 hours a week!!

PM and I will visit if you want.

K

25. Dave,
    Talk to my wife "Briar", when you get to Propwash this afternoon.

See you in a bit!

26. Those kids could probably use a good ole normal person at the school. Know a guy who did that move and he is happy as a Lark. Hang tough..

27. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

Update....

I got a new gig! Started today. It's in the medical industry, which is very hard to break in to in my specialty (quality). I'm very stoked, This is actually a better opportunity and better industry than the one that shite-canned me.

Thank to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Now I've got some parts to order for the Fairlane!

28. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I love updates. More so when they are good news.

Congrads.

29. pool

pool

It's sad when a man in Austrailia understands whats happened in America better than alot of our own citizens and worthless politicians.

30. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

^^^^ill agree^^^^^