Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats wrong with a 55 desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty55desoto, May 15, 2008.

1. rusty55desoto

rusty55desoto
    from west oz

just wondering why no one likes them, sleds use the grill and rodders use the hemi and the hardtop looks like its allready been chopped, maybe im a freak but I like em

2. Well,you have posted 4 times and every one is about 55 Desotos,,,so you must like them.

To each their own,,,nothing wrong with them just not everybodys idea of a hot rod or custom,,,

Your task grasshopper is to prove it can be done!:D HRP

3. rustrustler

rustrustler

You have to be able to find one before you can work on them.

4. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i have a good one . someone needs it .........

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

other than the grill, they look like sand blasted monkey ass...unwashed

6. rusty55desoto

rusty55desoto
    from west oz

dont get me wrong I dont think they are the best thing since, but so many have gone into making hyundais, I got mine coz it was all I could afford without looking really crap, just curious why they never took off seeing they had a lot goin for them, maybe its coz they were considereda granpa's car

[​IMG]

7. Flop

Flop

nice donk!!!

8. And a trailer queen too!:D

9. Again,,,It probably could be made into a cool car,,,but it is going in the wrong direction already,,,

the wheels are for a different crowd,,,not Hamb style for sure! HRP

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Dem rimz is hawt playboy!

11. Lots of cars have not much profile in the rod/custom world. Your task is to make this one HAMBworthy.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yo dawg, sell dem rimz and pay for your whole car

13. Post a decent side shot and let us photoshoppers have a play.

14. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

15. Dads-53

Dads-53

It all goes back to Jerry Weasners articalein Custom Rodder about " How you can't discribe bad taste to someone who has it".

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I can't remember the last time I actually saw a DeSoto. I think Mr.C drove one on Happy Days, but you never saw it.

17. alchemy

alchemy

I used to have one in my back yard. My brother bought if for the Hemi, and sold the grille out of it, so he had a free engine. Cut the roof off for top-filling material, and junked the rest. Just like you said. :)

18. I'll bet if everyone was driving a Desoto you would be ticked that they are everywhere like Mercs or a 54 Chevy! Don't worry about what is popular or "likeable" if you are really into your car then you won't care...

Attached Files:

19. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

So............... send me a pic and a price.

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

I likee '55 DeSotos just fine. I tried to buy one in 1983. Hadn't seen another one for sale until last year, near Mokan (HAMB Drags venue). Someone got a nice deal.
    What's your beef? You want more people to own them, or what? There just aren't that many around.

21. chebby

chebby

lol @ the donk and other funny comments.

post a pic of the front unless it has you with mad bling and gold teef son.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are like rooster teeth. Pretty hard to find at least in this area.

They probably were not that popular with the rodders and customizers years ago because a lot of guys considered them old farts cars and the two doors were a bit rare even in the 60's. I've wanted one for years and now when one shows up the Mopar hemi price inflation puts it out of my price range.

23. if ya dont too many than that just means the price will go up ! dont worry about others just be differant.

24. spoole

spoole
    from mesa AZ

Now thats funny...

25. Rusty.....is that originally an American DeSoto, or was it an Oz model?? Which side is the steering wheel on.......just curious.

You don't see very many of the DeSotos around here in Missouri.....for sale or in use.

This one is on a car lot in Springfield, MO......or at least it was when I took the picture. It's a 56 model.

[​IMG]

Is a "Seville" model.

[​IMG]

Looks like you just need to start somewhere and do some things to the
    car......to give it that 50s type rod/custom look.

26. Gigantor

Gigantor

Fuck it, I like them Desotos ... just with a different rim treatment from right off the boot.

27. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I think it started in '55. The new Chevys and Fords were so beautiful, that almost everything else faded from the rod-custom-race scene.

The evolution of the Hemi was important for racing, but the cars were heavy, and never really became popular.

As a result of this lack of demand, cars got junked instead hoarded or rebuilt. Now, 50 years later, we have all learned that certain models, like the Fords & Chevys, are desireable. Very few little boys wish that they will someday own a DeSoto. Add to that the fact that far fewer of these "unpopular" cars exist, lessens the odds even more, that someone will be interested in "building" one.

28. pacman

pacman

Kustom 55, thats a damn good lookin Desoto.

I dont think we're not seeing desoto's because no one likes them... no one can find them and its hard to find a 2 door desoto. Hard to find cars are always in demand and I'd bet most HAMBers would pick up a Desoto at a fair price if presented the opportunity. Besides, Desotos have become an endangered species thoughtlessly hunted for their high dollar teeth and hemis.

PaX
    [​IMG]
    '53

29. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

loose the rims and build it, youll have a unique car for sure.