Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aggghhhh!!! It's all your fault. Every bit of it. Yeah, You.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, May 10, 2008.

1. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Been there, done that.

Word of advice. Think real real real hard about if you want a model A, or you want a hot rod. Don't repeat this process, except looking at your model A thinking "man, 32's are awesome".

Personally, I'm totally like that. If that's you too, then you're really a multi-car guy more than anything. Good luck

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yeah - I've built the airplane hangar of hot rods and customs in my dreams more times than I can count, but make do with my 2-car garage and limited budget for the time being. I'm a multi-car kinda guy, no denying that.
    As far as the age-old question: Model-A vs. 32 ... well, a lot of people don't even have to think about this, because the obvious answer is a 32, right? Well, there's no denying that a deuce is one of the most magnificent cars ever made ... HOWEVER, I have always been attracted to the A's because of their harsher, more utilitarian - no frills, all business look. Like a cheap hooker who could grind you into dust and leave you weeping bloody tears, begging for more.
    As others have already mentioned, they've owned 32's and have felt compelled to keep them clean and pristine - whereas these same dudes drive the shit out of their Model A's.
    Rock chip? Who cares?!

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Oh no ,I've been going thru the same type of turmoil.
    You see I have become attracted to those south of the border,latino type's.Yes I am wanting a lowrider. Not a bouncy one just ,crushed velvet ,engraved ,plated,polish,shiney stuff everywhere.Naked lady murals,28 coats of metalflake, you know the ones.
    The model A or the Vega must go to fit one in the garage,my friends are laughing at me,my wife thinks I've finally gone crazy, but it needs to happen if i'm ever going to be a car guy again.

It must be part of this culture that we are never satisfied with what we have.
    I thought my brother was crazy when he sold his Hurst Olds and bought a Cockshutt tractor.Wait a minute he was crazy ,nevermind.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Rockit53

Rockit53
    from Berwyn, IL
    1. 37-38 Chevys

i'm suffering from the same illness, although not a model A. A 1936 or '38 chevy coupe is the cause of my problems. And like you, i'd have to sell my '53 chevy to fund and have room for a new project. One can dream right?

6. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

Yea, thanks you HAMBERS I cannot keep a car long enough because I am so influenced by all the killer rods on here, I cannot make up my mind on what I want... Probably be a Model A or T, go figure....

7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Model ''A'' Ford you got to love'em.

8. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

If I recall from a previous post, you are of rather sizable stature. Try on that shoe, Cinderella, before you make plans for the ball. Friend of mine had a Model A, Chopped and channeled, and it was agony to ride any distance (don't get me wrong, it was fun, but the pedal to bottom of the steering wheel clearance was shorter then my foot to knee) Hey, didja ever get the booty up 'roostook way?

tc

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Welcome to the club!
    I too was bitten..never really wanted to build a ford , but if it was going to be a ford it was going to be an A. My 9 year old found this one..and its been a slow process, mostly due to finances, but we will get it done some day.

10. OLLIN

OLLIN

that analogy is classic. you guys are hillarous.

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man oh man. Sigh. You know, I was talking to a Model A fanatic the other day ... and he took one look at me and we both nodded and acknowledged that I wasn't going to fit in a pickup ... and a 5 window coupe (my absolute wet dream) would be pushing it, but that a 2-door sedan done right might work. I basically told him that what I might HAVE to do is start with a cowl and cobble some various body parts together around myself in an attempt to maintain proper proportions. I mean, I'm used to driving small cars. I've been paying attention to a lot of builds and magazines and looking at little tricks to gain space and still preserve the desired look.
    It might mean a combination of having floorboards under the frame rails, loss of the package tray, severely cut down and reclined seat and one of those tiny welded chain steering wheels ... hell, I know it hurts to even think about, but an automatic might make it a bit easier to drive ... but damn it!
    I'm going to write down here, with a little embellishment, what I told the Model A fanatic: I am tired of making sacrifices to my own personal happiness and wellbeing because I am too tall to live life the way I want to. I wanted to fly fighter jets when I was a kid. Nope, too tall. Remember those signs at the fair that say you must be this tall to ride this ride? Well, I don't go to the fair anymore because I am too tall to ride the rides. I wanted to dress like a drugged out rock star ... nope, those snakeskin pants wont fit one leg, much less both of them. And I am sick and tired of clerks pulling the graveyard shift at 7-11 telling me I'm wasting MY life because I don't play basketball.

In other words, I believe that with a lot of measuring, planning, drawing, erasing, blueprinting and schematicing ... or a bizarre surgery to remove 6 inches out of each femur will yield the desired result: Me in my own Model A... comfortably.

Toast - I'm going to be watching your build like a hawk hoping to glean how you squeeze every 1/4" out for space

StepSideClyde - Luckily, my two Hemis were well above the flood waters. The ground is still soggy I hear and I wont be out of this cast (broken leg) for another week or two, but I am chomping at the bit to get those down here once and for all.

12. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Joseph Smith?
    Didn't it ever occur to you that some might take offense to that?

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

In retrospect ... In the passion of my original tirade, I might have gone a little overboard, and if I have offended, I apologize. Making amends.

14. pitman

pitman

Heh, you mean to say Old Henry actually built another Model? :p