Register now to get rid of these ads!

Large scale hot rod art and memorabilia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, May 13, 2008.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So every now and then when doing a google search for some hot rod or classic cycle type subject I stumble on places with GIANT photos or paintings hanging on the wall of board track racing, or old sprint stuff, whatever... Where in the hell would a person get something like that? Must a person be made of Benjamin Franklins to obtain such a piece of art? Has anyone had a cool picture blown up to an extreme size and hung it on their wall? I know someone that does "large format printing" and he charges big money for this stuff, but he can do a whole wall with something cool on it if needed.

Anyone have any insight??

Man it would be awesome to have a whole wall that looked like you were at Bonneville or something! :eek:

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There is a place that I cannot think of that will enlarge a photo and turn it into a wall paper of sorts. It's about a thousand dollars a wall, but man would it be cool to have a dry lake wall with the Old Crow Belly Tanker in the the foreground. I tried to get the wife to cough up enough so that I could do one wall in the bedroom like a forest but it's jst too much money.

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Check this site out: http://hotrod.artehouse.com

They always have some vintage Bonneville shots available in murals up to 44"x60". The most expensive ones being around a couple hundred.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I mentioned the Bonneville scene! :D

Yep! That's about what the guy I know charges. Maybe even more. It is REALLY cool though. If you're in the Chicago area, his shop is Formato. His name is Miguel. Very talented! Here's the website: http://www.formatosite.com/
    Here's some examples (not hot rod related, but use your imagination)
    http://www.formatosite.com/DigitalPrintingProducts.aspx#cover

I guess on a "lower" level... how about just BIG ASS art that would hang on the wall. I would love to have an old black and white racing scene or something like that.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The home improvement stores sell wallpaper kits designed to put landscapes/scenes on a wall. A relative has one room with a wall that looks (relatively speaking) like it opens onto a greek garden. I've been told they sell a couple sports & racing scenes like nascar daytona, but doubt that any would be HAMB material. Good luck

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! He's totally reasonable too!! $240 bucks for a 44x60 is not bad at all!! Thanks for that link! Some seriously cool pictures there too!

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one would be cool!
    [​IMG]

8. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Scooter, thats a bitchen poster. I need to pick some of those up for the house. Thanks for starting this thread!

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Imagine this on your wall at 44"x60"!
    [​IMG]

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got regular poster size stuff and they're really cool, but they're just so damn expensive to frame. The large format canvas stuff looks good without a frame. You end up spending as much on a large scale piece of art without a frame that looks bitchin' as you would a smaller scale poster with a nice quality frame.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HELL YES!!! Was that on that site!!!??? I didn't see that!! That would be PERFECT!!!

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well, instead of spending the $500+ for a phillips 66 sign I should just buy those two you posted and throw them in the garage. Awesome idea!

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek: The Phillips 66 sign would probably go up in value and the price to obtain one will ALSO go up. Might be better off doing the large scale later... HAHA! :D

14. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

When we did the Leno collection a couple of years ago he had lots of those huge pictures on the wall. When I asked about them we were told that when Jay found a picture he liked he would take it to the NBC art department and they would make him a wall sized copy of it.

He had lots of Gran Prix race poster blown up and a lot of exotic sports cars on the wall of the Big Dog Garage.

It was impressive.

B:)B

15. binder49er

binder49er
    from Cental NY

How about checking out an outdoor advertising company that does billboards. They might be able to blow up a picture to full wall size.

No idea what it would cost, but it can't cost them 4-5 hundred per billboard can it? Around here they change some of them a couple times a month.

just a thought

16. chevy3755

chevy3755

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah! Very cool and VERY reasonable for such large prints! This one is RAD!
    [​IMG]

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was one of the first things I thought of! I was watching one of his little videos from his garage site the other day and that's what got me thinkin' about it actually! SERIOUSLY AWESOME PICTURES that guy has on his walls!

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone have any links for old Cycling stuff??

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WAIT! I found a perfect one!!!!!! This is sooooo awesome!!! I'm sold!!

[​IMG]

21. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Where did you find that on that site? I absolutely am gonna buy it!! I am redoing my living room anyway...so why not make it match :D

22. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

How about a little DIY project with your own photos?

Ever hear of the rasterbator (rymes with masterbator)? Here's a link to get the free program plus some examples of what you can do.

http://jpgmag.com/themes/19/all

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was on that same garagescene site... I just saw the price! :eek::eek::eek: $2000!!!!!!!!! HOLY MOLY!!! Looks like it's worth it, but I think I would rather buy PARTS with that kind of money! HAHA! Maybe someday I'll have something like that. Totally awesome stuff!!

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now THAT is cool!!!!! Thanks for linking that!! I REALLY like that! I just might have to do that!

25. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

A high quality picture and printer and it looks pretty cool.

26. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Thanks for the idea, I'm definitely stealing that. Now I just have to find the perfect image :)

27. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I am all about this idea as well. I researched it last year sometime, I'll look for my folder of info on it tonight. I found a place that would make photos into large wallpaper murals for a really decent price.

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do share!! Thanks Megan!! :)

29. Roadsir

Roadsir

Do that rasterbation too much and you'll go blind!..
    Thanks for the tips. I have also thought of having some large scale wall murals done of my brothers work (just steve) and also some automotive themed industrial revolution photographs...

Thanks for the links!

30. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Mark Morton has a drawing of a Miller Indy car blown up to wall size at World Headquarters. I love it and want to do the same thing. Last year I was given a copy of the Wayne 12 Port head engineering drawing. I think a wall art of this would be bitch'n.

DW