Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a bit of help. Can you identify this???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darren M., May 12, 2008.

1. Darren M.

Darren M.

Front license plates are required here in Texas, but not in many of the states I drive through. So, I'm looking at making a copy of the following license plate hider. While in state I'll happily comply with the law, but when out, I'd prefer to have a nice clean front end. Any help identifying the parts in this picture and short video would be GREATLY appreciated. (Scouring McMaster Carr even now.)

Image of the "kit" not mounted.
    [​IMG]

Short video of what it does....
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Darren

2. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

The Hoffman group (autoloc.com) has a similar kit.

3. Maybe you could use a power window motor from some junkyard car with some modifications?

I think that thing might be illegal though in some states -- especially if you installed in the rear plate.

It reminds me of the old lame Speed Racer cartoons where "Racer X" would revolve his license plate.

4. Darren M.

Darren M.

No no. Front plate only. I could easily build a flip kit that flipped around an axis, e.g. James Bond", but the flip up/down, not working in my brain.

5. I'm picturing a long J-shaped channel cut through both sides of a piece of square or rectangular tubular steel with two roller pins that slide through the channel. The two pins come out the side of the channel and attach to brackets that attach to the license plate. Something like a power window motor would pull the thing forward and the two pins would hold the license plate horizontal for most of the travel, then tilt it up vertically at the end where the channel curves up like a J at the end. Think of a roller coaster traveling forward on a flat track and then tipping up vertically at the end of the track as the track goes vertical. I think that's how I'd make it.

Unless maybe there's a spring that tries to tip it up at the end of a straight channel, and the channel holds the license horizontally until it gets to the end of the channel, where the spring takes over and pops the license up vertically.

6. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

What kind of car are you putting this on? I made a dissappearing
    front mount from a sunvisor. Replace the sunshield with the lisence
    plate and back it with a stiffener. Pull out, fold up, Tuck under. It's manual opperated, but I like simple.

7. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

They're also a popular add-on for c-6 Vettes. But I've only seen manual front ones.