Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T West Coast tour, Bombers-B-17,B-24, B-25, etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mazooma1, May 2, 2008.

1. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Step dad took the family as a present last Feb. in Tampa. Caution to any tough guys if you take the flight, you will want to cry when it's over. Still feels like it was the best dream I ever had.

As stated above about it being humbling, you can't help but think of the contrast between going up now as a cool experience to those soldiers back then going up not knowing if they'd ever come back.

2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Wish i would of seen this thread earlier as i would of hit the La Verne Airport !

3. OLLIN

OLLIN

4. slammy

slammy

It's funny, I was reading this post yesterday, and noticed these planes would be on thier way to Camarillo today (Monday), and I thought "maybe I'll see them from my office tomorrow." (I work in b/w Burbank and Camarillo).

Well, today, I was walking to lunch, and I saw both the B24 and B25 on thier to Camarillo. It was awesome.

We're having our typical spring, gray skies weather today, and seeing those planes flying at a few hundred feet, against gray skies -- with thier engines roaring -- was an ominous and intimidating sight. I tried to capture it with the lame camera on my phone.

Attached Files:

5. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]5/25 - 5/27 [/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Livermore, CA (B-17, B-24, B-25 & P-51)[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Airport: Livermore Municipal Airport[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Location: General Aviation Terminal[/FONT]

may be older information but...
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    B17, B24, & B25 Bombers at the Livermore Airport
    Vintage B17, B24, and B25 bombers once again visit the Livermore airport. You can take pictures, walk through the planes, and talk to the crew. Flights are also available for a $425 donation.
    In recent years a number of other vintage aircraft, many from WWII, have also been on display.
    See the eLivermore photos.
    Sponsor: The Collins Foundation
    Times: Planes arrive about 3:00pm on Sunday. Tours available from about 3:00 to 5:00pm.
    Monday & Tuesday: Tours of both planes from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
    Flights will occur from about 8:00am to 9:00am Monday & Tuesday, and after 5:00pm Sun, Mon, & Tues
    Admission: Walk Through Tour: Adults: $8.00; Children 12 & under: $4; Rides: $425 for 30 minute flight on B-17 or B-24. B-25 flights are $400 for forward fuselage and $325 for aft fuselage.
    More info: The Collings Foundation. For Rides Call - 800-568-8924

6. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

7. for you eastern guys who dig these, the Reading, Pa WWII weekend is june 6-8. B17 flight is $425 for a 30 minute flight. get out and meet these heroes, listen to their stories they really appreciate your interest. these guys are in their 80s now and, well you know.

8. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

The prices went up..... It was $12 Adults, $8 kids... well worth every penny
    1/2 hour flights are anywhere from $300 - $425 depending on where you sit in the plane.

9. eddie1

eddie1

Thanks for starting this thread. I would never of know about this without you. I just got home from Seattle. Spent a couple of hours at The Museum of Flight & then a flight on the B-17. It is about a 3 hour drive to Seattle with a border crossing added in for extra fun & was one of the best days I have ever had

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You're welcome.
    Gotta share all the good stuff with others. Thats the real joy of enjoying most anything. Glad you had a great day...:):)

11. Choptop

Choptop

Just to bump this...

if you get the chance to ride in one of these planes, DO IT. You'll make more money, but the memory of the flight is priceless. Cant help but thinking about all the young men that did their duty in these thin skinned beasts. It also drives home why they built hot rods when they came home from the war. The exposed mechanicals of the planes, the sound of engines, the feeling of performance... it translates directly to hot rods.

there is a little bit of footage from my B17 ride in these clips:

Winderz Media version:
    http://www.billetproof.com/video/billetproofpodcastteaser.wmv
    ~16Megs

Quicktime version:
    http://www.billetproof.com/video/billetproofpodcastteaser.m4v
    ~21 Megs

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

We are less that 200 miles from Berlin. Bombers crashed all over here trying to reach the Russian lines. There are bits of B-25's all over