Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnetic door latches?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73roundlight, May 8, 2008.

1. Ok so no pics, but I was talking to an old timer who was working on a Lola race car, saying that it had magnet operated door latches. How the hell would you do that?! I know the Lola is a glass body so that might be part of the equation, but...

Any way just putting it out there because I thought it was a cool idea, and I would love to know how that would work.

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Magnetic switch wired to a relay epoxied to the inside of the body. Hold a magnet over the proper location on the body and it triggers the door solenoid or they way i did it was roll down the window then reach in and open the door by hand. On a steel car they can be semi hidden behind the window glass. Dont buy em from one of the rod shops that sell em cause i can put together enuff parts to do the same thing for about 1/3 of the cost they get for em..
    dave

3. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

precisely what Junk said.

i had this same setup on my 93 stepside pickup. i found the best magnet to use is one of those fish tank cleaners. they are super strong, and felt on the magnetic side. so you can stick them on your underbody or roof, and it wont scratch.

you can get all of the parts to build this setup at any wholesale electronic store for super cheap.

4. Thanks Guys, cool idea.

I don't know if I am going to change the handles that good old Henry used :D, but I thought it was a cool idea especially for the custom crowd. Just thought I would throw it out there.

5. TwistedShifter

TwistedShifter
    BANNED
    from NorCal

I've been banned...

6. Not that untraditional, guys were using door poppers and solenoids to do all kinds of stuff in the old days.

I thought that especially the custom crowd would like the idea. And then there is the anti-theft incentive. Especially considering that no average thief would be walking around with a magnet. :D

7. TwistedShifter

TwistedShifter
    BANNED
    from NorCal

Like I said, cool idea.

It's just curious that some of the pre '63 rule keepers didn't bash you for a concept that maybe showed up in the late 60's early 70's. Personally I think it's fine to discuss these sorts of things, not being a hard line purist, just an old car nut myself.

8. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

Guys where finding ways to shave the door handles in the 50's. Electric solenoids included.

9. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

Anyone have a list of list of parts or maybe a tech?

10. TwistedShifter

TwistedShifter
    BANNED
    from NorCal

But not with magnets...just a small technicality. Again, I PERSONALLY don't see an issue with shaving hinges and handles and magnetic latches...

I've always believed that when it's your ride, screw what anyone else says and do it your way.

Apparently jusjunk does...

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"I don't know if I am going to change the handles that good old Henry used..."

Blow some minds. Fill the handle hole with fiberglass, hide the doodad behind that.
    Glue the super magnet to the back of the door handle.
    Shaved car.
    You stroll up, take the original handle out of your pocket with a flourish, and plop it down precisely on its original location. The door swings open, you drop the handle back in your pocket, and drive away...

12. Bruce, didn't think of that, but it is damn funny. :D

Technicality or not, it is just another way to do the same thing. By the way, the Lola, while not fitting in here on the HAMB, is a car from the 60s. I don't know about that particular car, but it has many similarities to the Chapperels that Ryan posted about a few weeks back.

I agree, though, do what you want with your ride. While I wouldn't do things that are wholly un-traditional (ie like make a billet car), I think we all do things with modern components and ideas that are traditional and modern at the same time. I personally think that these types of ideas honor the hotrodders that came before us. They would come up with new ideas and methods and implement them and I hope that we would all do the same.

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Right on dude...Magnets weren't invented till the late 60's...:rolleyes:

All you seem to do is look for ways to create an issue.
    why do you visit if it bothers you so much?

Some people are here to recreate history as closely as they can...others just to get a certain "look" going on...and then you have the 50,000+ that lie somewhere inbetween.
    The site itself isn't about matching numbers, exact recreations or anything like that.
    It's about people who share a common INTEREST in car styles from a particular point in automotive history and a respect for the men who originally created them.

YOU can think what you want about when magnetic switches came about...but I'll tell you one thing.
    Magneticly switched Anti-shipping mines were in use and deadly during WW2 and if I read my History book correctly, THAT was slightly before 1963.

Do you think 50's Hot Rodders were so DUMB that they couldn't figure a magnetic switch out...or maybe its just that you, in all your period Hot Rodding knowledge, have never heard of a magneticly activated switch being used before 1963?
    Obviously if YOU didn't see it or hear about it, then it must be wrong for anyone here to use one.

I KNOW your just trying to be an ass to US because you somehow feel wronged...but the lack of respect you show to our parents/Grandparents/mentors and the things they were capable of etc, shows an arrogance on your part thats nothing less than detestable.

14. Hackerbill -

I defense of Twistedshifter, he is saying what you are. I think that he is wondering why some of the other folk who bash stuff from time-to-time aren't bashing me for asking this question.

That said, there is a certain lack of understanding of our elders. It is as if they didn't have the ability or know how to create things. But I don't believe that he is perpetrating that. I think that it is better to try to educate than put down. Many things that us lay people think were invented recently were created many years ago, christ, even the Romans and Greeks had indoor plumbing and computers (probably hot rods too :rolleyes:).

Try not to jump on people too quick. We are all learning new stuff here.

I want you to know though that I appreciate what you have said. I think that we all have a common interest and many times there are things said that folks don't understand or misinterpret. I think that we are all guilty of that from time to time.

15. TwistedShifter

TwistedShifter
    BANNED
    from NorCal

73roundlight, brother you have class... thanks.

16. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

Not trying to start any kind of drama here. I don't have any documentation on who did what when with shaved door handles. I will say though that the Reed switch (magnetic switch) was invented in 1936. As far as I'm concerned it was completely believable that some guy in the 50's figured out how to shave his handles and use magnets to activate the solenoids.

17. 39sledge

39sledge

now mark weld the damm doors shut and flip the roof front like i did.:D

18. 39sledge

39sledge

sorry for the misspell mike damm fingers.

19. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

personally i think the idea is a pretty good one and quite plausible. they had shaved door handles/trunks since the birth of customs so why not do it with magnets. i have a keyless remote to operate my doors and trunk and there is no telling how many times i have had people tell me that my doors were open when i was working in my office. (my system is killer sensitive) the idea of using a magnet seems a lot safer to me than what i have now.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would beat having hidden push buttons that most 12 year olds can find in under 60 seconds. I had push buttons fail so many times on my I quit using the electric system.

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I think he's a professional victim.
    The guy at the Tiger cage who can't figure out why the 'kittycat' doesn't like to be poked with a stick...

BTW, "Twistedshifter" ISN'T saying what I'm saying...he just twists his words and shifts meaning around to fit his agenda.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263357

22. Hey Brylen,

Your funny! We are all out here to keep feeding you ideas :D. I can't do that anyway as I will need a step ladder to get into the car! Talk about an anti theft device, try hauling a ladder with you on your key ring!

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T082/2051-2053.pdf
    theres a link to the switches i use. Figure 7 at the bottom of the page . Consists of a switch and a magnet to operate it . Epoxy the switch in place in the corner of a window in a glass body (ive also used silicone to hold in place) wire it to actuate a relay and use the magnet to actuate the switch and wala it works. Like I said i used mine tied into the window switch and with shaved handles i lowered the winder and reached in and opened the door. saved me money and the work of putting solenoids in.. These can also be used for a security system too. break the contact and pull in a relay or drop one out if its a doubble pole and send 5000 volts thru the door handle :) .. You get the idea..
    Dave

sorry bout that not quite the bottom of the page look for c&k magnetic sensors

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"As far as I'm concerned it was completely believable that some guy in the 50's figured out how to shave his handles and use magnets to activate the solenoids..."
    Yes, for sure...I did a little google patenting on magnetic sewitches and doors...with date limits...components to do this a lot of different ways were out there by 1950, scattered through lots of industries...even found a plethora of auto electric door stuff, none of it this exact idea but easily combinable.
    AND...since WWII used every electric gadget around, all the hardware was probably at the surplus store for 29 cents...hmmmm...M2 cocking solenoid...reed switch...
    Lots of early rodders LIVED in aircraft surplus stores, finding nifty government gimmicks.

25. Slate

Slate

jusjunk, This would make a great tech for tech week!

26. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya ok.. Remind me and I can do one.. Its really easy and cheap if you dont buy one of the ready made packages they sell . Back when i did mine on my 34 they wanted a little over 100.00 for a kit and i think i did it for like 25.00 :D Now I dont mind spending money but i dont like getting screwed..!
    Dave

27. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The first time I used magnetic switches to open doors, I got the idea from a 50's little book, and used the same thing they did, burgular alarm window switches. I still do them the same way, but buy the switches from Radio shack, two for $3.99. The relays are $1.50 each at Surplus Center.

I did an old school 49 Merc that you open the doors by bumping your knee against the quarter panel. A microswitch activated relay unlatches the door. Another Little book idea. A third relay locks out the system with the ignition on, so getting hit in an accident doesn't let the doors fly open. Relays from an old Caddy in the junk yard, Microswitches from a Dodge AC control panel.

28. Glen

Glen

A friend has a wheel chair van, there are 4 magnets in the tail light. One opens the side door, one pushes the ramp out, one lowers and raises the ramp, one closes the door.