Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are any of you considering building an "efficent" hot-rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by decker, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mopar34

Mopar34

I had a highly efficient Eco-Tec 2.2L in an Alero a few years back, and while it is a terrific engine with tons of potential, it never got much more than 30 mpg. Could possibly get 35-36 with one in a T bucket or other lightweight car, but anything more than 40 mpg might be a stretch.

Most efficient engine I ever had was a 1.5L in a Honda CRX HF. 63 Hp max, 5 speed tranny, 56 mpg hwy, 46 town. Light weight car, tall gearing. 70 mph = 1100 rpm. :D Fun little car, family size forced sale.

Today most hot rodders shun 4 bangers regardless of gas prices. I guess they just ain't cool. But in three years when gas is $7/gallon (or more) I suspect they may be seen in a better light. Might have to park my big block cars and build me a track T or a C cab powered by a 4 banger just for local rodding.:cool::D

Market for high performance hotrods and streetrods will likely be a lot worse than it is today, and today's market is just a slightly better than the SUV market.:eek:

2. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Thats exactly what I was thinking but shoot they only get 17/23 which in this day and age its not fuel efficent enough haha they look great but are under powered cars that dont get enough mpg for the lack of hp

3. evilgenius

evilgenius

My buddy had a 22R SOHC EFI in his 1986 Toyota Xtra Cab. Completely stock, it has so much low end torque that you could spin the wheels out at a green light if you weren't used to it. A lot of 4x4ing folks like to use this engine just for that reason, and it still sounds comparatively good (rather than the higher whine of newer 4 bangers).

4. bartikus

bartikus

i was toying with the idea of taking a maverick/comet and putting in a turbo charged 4 banger out of a late 80's cougar or thunder bird. then taking a t5 out of a 80's mustang so that way i could drive an older car for my daily driver but still kick butt in it if some one wanted to drag me. but then i purchased my buick so i droped that idea.

5. simplyMyself

simplyMyself

Dog Drool, Pavlov!

6. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

What about all these hot rodders with the inline 6 Motors how are they on gas????? I keep seeing more and more hot rods and sleds with these motors in them so they cant be getting to bad of mileage can they??? What about a bone stock inline 6 with a one barrel on it??? Im not looking for hp anymore sadly now its just about looking good in what your driving and having a hot rod at all. -Jon

7. one word...
    [​IMG]

...vomit :D

8. I've been scouring Craigslist for an older Ranger engine/rear end donor, and I'm building a 'glass t touring body this weekend... I'm thinking non HAMB friendly 70's style... Anybody have a crocheted beer can hat to they want to donate?
    [​IMG]

9. simplyMyself

simplyMyself

there is another thread on mileage with a 292 (I started), and with mods, some have achieved 20-26mpg. I am sure that there are many other threads out there as well.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's gonna be a reality soon, traditional or not.

I would rather build something more efficient and continue to drive my hot rods rather than just park em and look at em. Do I like v8's? More than I can I say.........but it's not ever going back to .99 cents a gallon and my wages have yet to catch up.

11. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Hot Rods aren't built to be 'efficent' but Streetrods are....:)

I cant afford neither so imagine how my Chuck Taylors will look by the end of the year..lol

12. beatnik

beatnik

I’ve thought about this stuff a lot, but I couldn’t kill the "Hot Rod" part of it.

There no reason why you couldn’t use a 302, 4.6L, LT1, LS1 or SC 3800, behind a T5 or T56 and get about 30 mpg or better. All those drivetrains get 25-28 mpg in late model cars that weight at least 1500 lbs more than a Roadster and are still relatively quick.

If I was going go over the edge about economy, I'd go all the way and figure out a way to run a VW 1.9 Turbo Diesel engine under the hood of a T-Coupe or Roadster. The earlier (1998-2003) TDI engines get 47-52 mpg in a mid size Jetta.

I've considered building one car for economy that would be the car I drove long distances, but I'm not changing any of my current projects just because gas got more expensive. It's not why I like Hot Rods and it's not what this board is about.

Gus

13. The Ford 4 cyl, 2.3 L, Manual 5-spd is saying a consistant 21 city 27 hwy for years now. If you have a lighter car you could probably get better, you even hotrod it and atleast the same. what speed parts are available for this motor?

as for foreign motors, are there options for building a rwd car?
    the honda's (4 cyl, 1.7 L, Manual 5-spd, 31city 39hwy) and toyota's(4 cyl, 1.5 L, Manual 5-spd 30city 38hwy) look appealing, and speed parts are probably available

14. Terraizer

Terraizer

I'am kind of building a efficent rod even with a 4 banger. It is a 1937 International D-15 shortbed pickup on a 1987 S-10 x-cab chassis cut down 9"s with a Cummins 4BT Turbo Diesel,NV4500 5-speed and a 3.07 geared dana 44 rear. Hope to get in the high 20's low 30's MPG wise with it. The truck right now only weighs around 2K and all together hope to be in the 3200-3500lb range or under, most of the weight is in the engine and trans, engine is around 727LB by itself. I'am not building it because of recent fuel prices and such, i'am because i like diesels, all ready had the 4BT and want to be alittle different, the good MPG is just a bonus.

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Now this thing is totally off topic but it does show what one can do. The guy who built this is an old drag racer from way back. He has some medical issues now (has seizures on occasion) and can't ride a bike so he built this. (see the walker on the back)?

[​IMG]

He took the old snowmobile engine out and replaced it with a Quad 4. Runs like a scalded dog and still gets really good gas mileage. Again, this thing is totally off topic except to note that it's O.K. to think outside the box for daily transportation. My buddies Chevelle with a 250 and 3spd w/OD get's in the mid 20's on the road. In a very light A or somthing and fiddling one would think you could get into the 30's with something like that.

To get into the 40's you would likely have to spend some major cash and that sort of negates any gains.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

As crazy as it sounds, I am doing something similar in my Galaxie.
    I am taking the 390/auto out and replacing it with a 302/T5.

Selling the 390 will help fund the swap and the better gas mileage will end up paying for the swap in the long run. I drive the car alot (10,000+ miles a year) and really don't want to change that.
    Gas will not be getting any cheaper.

Malcolm

17. You are correct... my bad.

Here's an 800+hp ecotech... as an example of what can be done.

At this point... you may as well get a blown hemi though. :rolleyes:

18. Mopar34

Mopar34

I was planning on building a V8 powered 32 roadster (flattie or otherwise) after retiring in a couple of years. Since I love driving and never want to give it up, I will definitely be downsizing the engine plans and moving to a multi-speed trans. Either a 6 or 8 speed stick or auto. Got to make compromises. Don't want to have to forego food and Rx to buy gas.:eek::D

19. [​IMG] how about a 4 from an SVO mustang? not a ton of fuss with computers?

from wikipedia...

Mustang SVO horsepower and torque ratings by year
    Year Horse Power Torque
    1984 175 @ 4400 RPM 210 @ 3000 RPM
    1985 175 @ 4400 RPM 210 @ 3000 RPM
    1985.5 200 @ 5000 RPM 240 @ 3200 RPM
    1986 200 @ 5000 RPM 240 @ 3200 RPM

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Been there done that. In 1973 I built a deuce roadster with a Mercury marine 4 cylinder and a 2 speed glide trans. Bark- Bark. A dog. I just did a customers 28 Whippet chassis with all independent suspension and a EcoTech with 5 speed. That should work better. I'm currently finishing my 30 year project deuce 3 window and built a 283 with late heads, and a T-5 in hopes of getting a little better gas mileage.

21. as a matter of fact... i do

it's a "special export" one my grandmother made for my grandfather in the 70's

my wife only let's me wear it on special occasions... but not to our wedding... grandma wasn't too happy about that

:D

22. exactly my point... thanks!

23. this kinda rings of the Shay replica model A of the 70s/80s........pinto powered.....total IFS susp. plus a late model 4 banger,in a lite car........ugly but headin in the right direction :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

24. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

after driving my 51 today i dropped by the gas station to fill it up, $60. after that i have been considering selling the 51 and build me something more reasonable to drive. God forbid i buy anything new, so im thinking an A coupe/truck with a ecotec or a quad 4 with a stick and some decent gearing. at least the quad 4 looks like an Offy and they are pretty cheap and plentiful. and the A would meet my criteria for the year model im wanting to get. but like the weather this gas gouging will change and hopefully for the better. (i know its wishful thinking but im an optimist)

25. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

v8 60, tempest 4, iron duke...........they all make about the same power..

model b motor with 351 head 171 mph @ Bonneville.

the 70s saw a "dat-rod" craze, datsun motors in deuce coupes.

how about offy motors? how about most pre war cars? seems pretty traditional to me.

26. repoguy

repoguy

The funny part Mike, is that I can clearly see you wearing one of those hats.

Damn dude, I wish I knew you were looking for a Ranger. We impounded one in pretty good shape with a 4 banger & a 5 speed that ran like a top and the dude never bailed it out. Sold it for 5 bones a few weeks ago. You probably could have scrapped another hundred back out of it.

Buy hey, we've got an 85 trunk mustang with a carbed 2.3 / auto that's ready to go. My buddy Dennis (who is also my boss) is a big 5.0 mustang guy and already plans to drop one of his V8's in there, so I could probably get you the motor fairly cheap. I'll PM you too just in case you don't read this.

27. 53Heavy

53Heavy

Are we talkin' about retro-tunerz:confused: A sweet Hot Rod shell on the outside with a tangy sour "tuner" center:confused:

28. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Both Mercedes and BMW still make RWDs, Alfa Romeo is switching back to RWD in a couple of years, and some of the other makes have the occasional models, like Opel GT, Mazda RX8, Hyundai Genesis Coupe...

29. Merc63

Merc63

I'm seeing a difference between hot rodding and traditional rodding.

You're right. This board is about replicating old cars using old tech. It's about the results of hot rodding and customizing in the day, not the mindset.

Those hot rodders and customizers were innovators, advancing the state of the art of their day, using what they had laying around or could fabricate to make something new. Traditional rodding is no longer about that.

That being said, I can see a real need here to use what traditional rodding has taught us and still incorporate efficiency into a hot rod.

30. The way I see it... I wouldn't mind driving a traditional hot-rod all over town with a modern engine and trans... heck... how many threads are on here daily with T-5 tech Q&A's? Didn't Model "T's&A's" come with fours to begin with? I can picture a car or rpu with traditional suspension, styling and looks... can't you?

A quick google image search produced this track-T... I'm not a fan of the paint job but...
    [​IMG]
    www.dennisparks.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.