Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Skin Cancer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Apr 10, 2006.

1. solo_909

solo_909

My G/f 's mother had stage 3 melanoma on her back she had it cut out and did some follow up testing and found it went into yoru lymp nodes (bad news) She heard of this holistic doctor in Irvine and instead of doing chemo she went with the holistic route! Raw food diet they call it. its all about the ph scale in your body. well she went back after doing this diet for a few months and was about to start Chemo and guess what it was all cleared up!! people should look into this route of healing its better then medicine to me. The stuff the doctors give you just make you live longer! The holistic way cures you!

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I had the same...removed it and life goes on.

3. stray cadi 61

stray cadi 61
    from So.Calif.

I didnt think I would see this here,just had a melanoma cut out from the side of my nose also by a plastic sergon.skin graph from behind my ear,standard stuff.Its healing nicely.Way too much time in the sun.

4. fanspete

fanspete

Had a chunk taken off the top of my rt. ear a couple of yrs ago. Didn't help my looks any, but it's all good now. Good luck.

5. Glen

Glen

The mohs surgery is the ticket. I have had melanoma removed, basal....and now I watch for AK's. I hit the dr. about once a year. You will rcv more information after it is removed in regards to actual size and depth.

My melanoma was the bad one because it was deep....i did the lymphoscintigram process after to make sure nothing had moved to my lymph nodes (only because of the depth of the melanoma), google it.

6. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

[​IMG]

He might wanna get checked out..

7. I have had a red cell blood cancer ( called PV and MF ) for the last 20 years and have it under control now but not in remission. I was also diagnosed with skin cancer, not melanoma, and have just had another session of removing growths a couple of weeks ago. I have also been scheduled for a colonoscopy because the doctor found blood in the last test. Life comes with no guarantees, and I have learned that I am the only person that make the best of every day for myself.
    The cancer forced me to learn a lot about myself, to live for today, and get rid of all the emotional crap that tends to increase the intensity of the anxiety and uncertainty. Life is good because I am still sucking air and playing with my toys.
    Bob

8. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

The others are right your's is very treatable, and when you get her licked, see your skin doc yearly, if not sooner.
    I've been (blessed) with appendicil cancer.......cause it makes you live life like you never thought possible.
    Important: Faith, Family, friends,a doc you're comfortable with, thinking positive(you can beat this), eating right, exercise, sunscreen, and ah, HOT RODS.
    Like j-jock said, life is good, as long as you're vertical and breathing.
    keep us posted, OLY

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

9. BELLM

BELLM

MOHs is the way to go, I had a dime sized basal cell removed from my nose a few months ago. Much better experience than the last one I had removed. I wear a hat, sunscreen as much as I can, when welding, mowing the yard, working in the sun I wear long sleeves and gloves. I didn't wear gloves in my younger days, got ugly age spots all over the top of my hands.

10. kisam

kisam

Tugmaster,
    Your right "Chicks dig scars" (at least that's what I tell my boys)! I went through a bout with malignant melanoma a few years ago. All is well now. It can be an emotional roller coaster for you and your family, if you allow it. I know how scary it can be, but yours has a very high sucess rate of being eliminated and is usually surface only and not invasive. People think I am crazy, but I am glad for the experience now - all of life's priorities have changed. I spend less time cleaning my house and more time doing things that I love. Keep your chin up!
    Kathy

11. GlenC

GlenC

I live in Queensland Australia, skin cancer 'capital' of the world, and we have skin clinics we can visit where they check your skin out head to toe with a scanner, and anything even remotely suspicious is 'burned' off with liquid nitrogen. I go at least once a year, and they burn dozens of the buggers off me each time cause I spent the first 40 years of my life living for the surf. No hat, no shirt, no sunscreen, they just weren't 'cool' in the 60's and 70's.

Even my grandkids yell at me now if I mow the lawn without a shirt on!

You'll be OK, just listen to what the doc tells you, wear a hat and sunscreen, and get yourself checked over every six months or so.

Ove here we have a slogan.. 'Slip Slop Slap' they teach the kids at kindergarten.

Slip on a T shirt,
    Slop on some sunscreen,
    Slap on a hat.

Good advice for us oldies too.

Cheers, Glen.

And Helen, your news is so sad, keep your chin up.

Glen.

12. fix

fix

I had one removed from my left shoulder. Big chunk of skin went with it. It looks like I was in a knife fight (that's what i tell the girls anyway).

It really freaked me out too. Three years later, I hardly ever think about it. I do however have a small collection of stupid looking hats that I didn't have before. And the sunscreen to go along with it.
    You're not a pussy. It's creepy to have stuff cut out (I was awake when they did mine, and I could hear the scissors cutting through skin).

Keep an eye on the skin you have left. Early detection and all that.

13. Crestliner

Crestliner

As stated in my earlier post about using Efudex. I'm treating my left temple area at this time. Just do small areas at a time as it can be painful where blood vessels are close to skin. Well this morning when i awoke my left eye is amost swollen shut. Looks like I got the bad end of a fight. Temple area reminds one of raw hamberger. The good side if it heals, won't have to worry about it for a while. Then its on to the other side. So use the sun screen and wear wide brim hats.

14. cooljerk

cooljerk

At least cutaneous melanoma can be dealt with...even if the treatments can be a bit drastic.
    My wife was diagnosed 3 years ago with a choroidal melanoma...a rare melanoma of the eye. That was treated successfully here in Boston.
    Unfortunately we just found out that it has metastisized to her liver. We leave Mon for NIH in Bethesda MD for, hopefully, her acceptance in a clinical trial. Our options are limited to 5 potential courses of action...all clinical trials. There is no standard treatment option.
    My goal now is to finish her '62 falcon and get her in it before too long. I haven't even gotten my '50 ready for the season yet...the motivation escapes me.
    ain't no two ways about it though...cancer sucks!

15. I had a pre-cancerous benign mole taken off my shoulder about 3 years ago.
    I was told left alone it would have turned to melanoma within 6 months.
    They had to go down about 1/2" and cut a 1/4" wide slit.
    Kind of freaky watching them cut on you with a scalpel when you're numb and awake.
    Nothing to mess around with fellas.
    Educate yourself and get checked out.
    I was about 30 when they first started telling me to get it checked.
    I procrastinated a few years and came out lucky.
    I was also told however, that after cutting on you the cells will grow back abnormal if tested again.
    The dermo said that even though it may be benign, it will probably look malignant under the microscope when it grows back.
    Just a little something for you guys that have or are going to get stuff removed.