Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, heres a life changer...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, May 5, 2008.

1. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

As a former repair shop owner - teach the basics. Only the basics. Those that want to take it to the next step will do it on their own.

Examples:

How a 4 stroke motor works. Have them take one apart. Rebuild it. See your local machine shop for donations and field trip.

Suspension. Theory and different types. Pros and Cons.

Brakes. Drum/disc theory. How to actually do a brake job.

Ignition theory. Theory etc.....

My point being that most kids have no real clue as to how vehicle systems work. If you get one kid per year that turns out to be an A tech, than you have done your job. Don't worry about Hot Rods at all. Those that like Hot Rods will find the way on their own.

Good luck.

2. If I was offered the same deal...I"D JUMP ON IT!!! I had Auto Shop all three years, in High School. My auto shop teacher was my best friend. He kept me out of trouble, gave me advice, and molded me into what I am today. I would stay after school and talk all about street racing when he was a kid, and going to Bonneville. He hated my VW! He used to say, "you're an American...DRIVE American!", HA HA HA!
    You can make such a big difference in a kids life.

3. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I can't wait to take auto shop next year.. If they won't let a freshman take it, tough shit, I know more than most cholos around here..

Burbank high, ftw.

4. 40 grey

40 grey
    from s.w. Fla.

Well done and congrats. I remember my high school industrial arts instructor. Really good guy. Showed us all by taking us on the odd field trip to vocational schools that you could make a living doing something that you had an interest in. Some of us paid attention and went after we graduated, because he took the time to help us out w/ paperwork/ securing tuition and scholarships. Some didn't. Thats life. I admire your position. I have several family members who went into teaching at various levels. If I had the chance, I would do the same as you. In my area there are no more shop classes. Shame. I feel that if you can teach some one to use their hands and head, you are gonna change their life for the better.

5. Good thing you got that Foreheadpenis thing taken care of years ago! ;)

6. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Just my opinion, but I think it would be a great job, not only will you get the chance to mold some new hotrodder's, it will open up some new opportunity's for you, I say go for it.

7. Cshabang

Cshabang

I haven't read through all the posts..but for me, there was always the instructor (usually tech) that was more than just a teacher. He was a friend you could count on you know..When he spoke (the topic didn't matter) you listened...You can be that teacher...You can be an inspiration..even if its just one student..that student can maybe be part of something bigger you know.. Keep us posted

8. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

We had about 20 engines on stands in our freshman auto shop at trade school.All freshman were required to tear down mike/measure everything then properly reassemble and torque them.We did this till we had done 1 engine from each make we had.we also had to do different engine types 6s-8s weren't many 4s then.