Register now to get rid of these ads!

patriot header problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bob41, May 6, 2008.

1. bob41

bob41

The problem i am having is the headers are hitting the shaft on the steering box . The setup is 327 chev. vega steering , patriot long tube headers part 8017, they state in their catalog these are made to fit this application. when i emailed them they replied that every application is different so they may noy fit... What i would like to know has anyone else used this same header and had this problem ?? Has anyone used another companys long tube header , that they would recommend . Any suggestion are appreciated thanks Bob This is in a 1932 ford coupe .

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Without knowing what car your doing it's hard to say but my 55 Chev. has big tube Hooker Super Comps that fit tight as hell in that area, gee almost like they were made for it. I've never had a problem with Hooker fitting anything but have had with some others. Buddy of mine did a 55 chev with Patriots and they fit fine.

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Patroit did the same thing to us on our shoebox, they sold us a set of headers that were SUPPOSED to drop right in. 3 weeks after we ordered and paid for them they informed us that the headers were backordered and would be for at least another 3 months.

So after 2 days of scrounging and calling around I found the last pair in existence, guess what, hit the steering box on the drivers side and hit the power stud on the starter on the passenger side. By this time we were out of time, so I modified them and made them work.

I will not buy anything from patriot or any of the other company under their banner, to include pertronix and smithy's. Customer service like that is unforgivable.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Patriots are ChiCom junk. Do yourself a favor and see if you can get your

5. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

in the past, i always had luck with hooker headers. had a set of big tube super comps on a big block nova (which is a rear steer car). the headers were tight, but they snaked right around the steering box like they were supposed to.
    no mods necessary for them to fit.

6. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

money back

7. bob41

bob41

Thanks for all the comments , i"m Going to send them back, but would like to hear from someone , who has used another company's long tube headers on a 1932 ford and that fit . Thanks Bob

8. You have to remember when a manufacturer makes a header for an application like 32 Ford, Chevy Motor, Vega steering there are always going to be variables. There is no set position for the motor in the frame, or the steering box for that matter. They use a car that they hope is representative of a typical car. The fact that your appication is hitting the steering shaft brings in another variable, steering column placement. I think you might have to look at putting another ujoint in the steering with a support bearing to clear the header. I don't think you'll have any better luck with any brand if you stay with a Long Tube header. There just isn't enough room available. Otherwise you'll have to go to block huggers and give up some performance.
    Da Tinman - If your shoebox was a small block Ford swap, see comments above about motor placement. Also the starter cable issue, were you using a mini starter as called out for in the instructions or the stock big starter. That header was designed by Roy Brizio with input from Ford Racing.
    Gman0046 - Not sure what you mean by ChiCom junk, but Patriot Headers are made in So Cal by American workers, where they have been for over 40 years - previously known as Ermie Immerso Enterprises - see Americas Most Beautiful Roadster winners and Significant 75 32 Fords if you don't know who Ermie was.

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

My shoe has the original flatty in it, stock starter, sorry Bro no excuses for the headers to not fit.

No excuse for selling us something that was out of stock and not telling us.

10. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

heck i never had a set of long tubes or short for that matter to fit anything perfectly. i always had to modify them a little

Attached Files:

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I never fab or locate engine mounts or anything without all my parts to do a full on mockup..............mockup is where most of your problem solving can happen...such as all your locations working together..........find the problem early and do not build yourself into a corner........Goodluck...Littleman...theirs alot of things going on and its hard to keep your them on all of them..

12. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

[​IMG][/IMG]I had the same problem with a 33 Ford Hi-Boy coupe, I had to return them and they sent me another pair I'll get you the part number and I'll send you a picture later BUT the new ones hang so frigging low they bottom out sometimes. I'm going to have some custom made in the next few months.

13. onedge

onedge

good advice what Littleman said.

14. Jay, you are right about the fact that they should have cleared the starter. I have used that header without problem, weird. As for the steering that isn't a Shoebox specific header but a Universal Tight Tuck that was really designed for 30's cars so that doesn't suprise me. You are right about No excusus for telling you something was in stock when it wasn't :(

15. been in the business for over 50 years...Never had any problem with HEDMAN
    Only way to go in my book....USA made too!!! Good people to deal with..

16. Larry T

Larry T

I used to have a little sign on my office wall that said
    "There is no such thing as bolt on parts."

I don't even know if they're still in business or not, but you might check S&S Headers. I've used their headers on a couple of different projects and was happy with the quality and fit.
    Larry T

17. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

18. brandon

brandon

you nailed it on the head... i have this same pair of headers , that i bought for my a....fit like a glove...no mods needed...but....i had my steering box moved around to help with this ....and also to fit with ramhorns... in the end , i didn't like the look of the headers hanging down and went back to manifolds....but now that i am wanting to beat on the car some...the headers may end up back on it....:rolleyes: also for the record....we used the same headers on a 32 3 window glass car....no issues with it either ... brandon:D

19. brandon

brandon

if your looking for "true" bolt on parts....better buy a fox body mustang...:D

i think patriot bought s&s or ended up with their patterns...brandon

20. bob41

bob41

thanks again for the responses . I orignally set this up with a set of blockhuggers , then decided i liked the look of the longer header . I went on patriot 's web site , they listed several long headers for 28 -32 fords the set i ordered stated they fit these years with a VEGA steering box. These headers clear everything else . My steering box is mounted as per instructions , and i have compared it to a TCI mount they are both in the same spot . I realize that building a hotrod you have to make , and modify parts but when a company states these will clear a vega box in their catalog they should fit . My complaint is there so called customer service , who were no help.Bob

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus