Register now to get rid of these ads!

does any one know ? usa to canada shipping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 303racer, Feb 8, 2008.

1. 303racer

303racer

hello every one i just bought a motor from the us and the seller is not to sure what he needs to drive it across in his the back of his truck to canada ? he tryed to phone the border bridge but they gave him the run around so if any one could help it would be great thanks

2. My advice is to hold your money until he gets the motor across the border...

3. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I've had trouble shipping across the border,
    I can't imagine driving a motor over being cheap or easy,
    Sorry Man.

4. Flatman

Flatman

It shouldn't be a problem with used parts. I think they're considered scrap metal as long as there's no title involved. You can call a local customs office and get the facts before he brings it up.

Flatman

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Call a customs broker. Otherwise they'll send you to one at the border to get your paperwork in order. I had a contract to ship my work there every 3 weeks. Lotsa papers even NAFTA (North American free Trade Agreement) papers . Its a BIG hassle...
    I finally got the hang of it , but I'll be goddamned If I ever sign on to another job like that!

6. 303racer

303racer

wow did not think it would be this hard for an old v8 motor that needs rebuilt
    ok so this is not looking goood so far

7. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

All I can relate is that when shipping things, clearly label them "Broken-for repair only" all over them. Or they get hung up in customs. If you had a bill of sale stating it was for scrap purposes, it might be better. GL dude

8. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I have a dumb question. Why can't he just throw a tarp over it and tell the border guy he is on vacation? Does it not work that way?

9. Flatman

Flatman

This time of year, he could say it was for traction.:D

Flatman

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Uhh....I have done it many times....its just parts.
    I have lugged 3 hemis back....get a bill of sale and your done.
    Even if you have a bill of sale for a grand....the tax is only 50 bucks.
    I would go over the border and get yourself.

If you bring a whole car with no engine.....its just parts.
    If bring a whole car....with drivetrain,running or not.....thats a different story.

Last engine I brought home had a bill of sale for $200 bucks....tax was $10.

No fuss,no muss.
    easy.

11. 303racer

303racer

so he has to make a bill of sale to me, to show them and thats it

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So, you live in Toronto?
    Is your guy crossing at Buffalo?
    I would meet him in Buffalo and bring back yourself.
    Have the bill of sale made out(proper and legal) and pay the gst(5%) on said item.

Otherwise....he must have all your info(telephone included) and you will get the bill.
    He also better have a passport.....or he won't get back into his own country.
    That an even bigger problem.

13. 303racer

303racer

crossing at the rainbow bridge and ya closes to toronto ya thats why i cant go get it i have no passport to get into the usa

14. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Its always easier to get back into your country of origin with goods like that! Getting back into Canada with goods for you will be simpler and easier for you, than for a non citizen to bring goods into Canada...

15. Bought a torn down 348 from Attitudor when he was still in Seattle. Drove down from Vancouver, threw it in the back of my truck, brought it back to Canada with a bill of sale for $200. The customs agent didn't even charge me the GST on it. Just let me pass. I agree with the previous advice. It's much easier to bring it into Canada as the purchaser than having the sellor "export" it into Canada. Go get it yourself........ save lots of hassle.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. If you can't enter US(although you don't need a passport yet,just 2 pieces of ID and birth certificate),you may be able to meet him at the Canadian port of entry,to take possession of the engine,complete with bill of sale. That way you can pay the gst etc,:D

18. If it is an older motor, bring it across yourself as an antique, and you should have no problem. They have been easy to get along with in my case.
    The only time there was a problem, was a with friend of mine was bringing back a boss Mustang, and the seller had the numbers wrong on the title. Two days at the border and new title. and that was all it took.
    Bob

19. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

auto parts are duty free... do it like Jeff said. Meet him in Buffalo and bring it across, they'll tell you to go in the building and pay the gst. Once you do that, you're golden. Be very straight up with them, and you'll be fine.

20. What ever happened to free trade?