Register now to get rid of these ads!

HRI's chopped f-1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy69, Apr 24, 2008.

1. chevy69

chevy69

work inside the hot rod institute continues with a chopped f-1
    heres a few pics of the progress from the last 2 days
    just layin out the lines for the cuts we are gana make we a taking 3.5" out in front and 3" in the back
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. chevy69

chevy69

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. chevy69

chevy69

4. duke182

duke182

looks great so far. keep the pics coming so we can see the finished project.
    any plans to alter how the body sits on the frame(channelled or sectioned at the bottom of cab)?

5. chevy69

chevy69

6. chevy69

chevy69

7. chevy69

chevy69

dont think we are going to channel or section it as of now..the only other mods if we have time will be to suicide the doors

8. chevy69

chevy69

9. I've got some questions since you did some things I haven't seen before. Have you completed the chop? Were you trying to flatten the bulge in the roof top to get it to stretch to meet the relocated windshield frame? How'd that go?

Most all of the chops documented here on the Hamb have put multiple braces on the inside of the body to stop body flex and maintain alignment. I don't see any bracing.
    Did you have problems putting it back together?

What are the slits for above the windshield posts?

I'd like to see the results before filler.

Dan

10. chevy69

chevy69

we are still working on the chop right now we have only been working on it for 2 day. we marked the doors with tape and drew a line across to see were we where.. the truck is very solid if the floors where rusted we would have used braces. so far we have seen no change in the door gaps with the line. our plan is to enhance our door gaps after we start welding it together if it was braced you would be unable to move it. its going back together relatively easy. we have put sleeves inside the pillars and will plug weld those in for more support. the slits were the wedge/pie cut the roof. we are now making a filler piece for the roof with the use of an english wheel and power hammer.

11. chevy69

chevy69

here are a few pics of the metal sleeves we made to add a little more support
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for the overall look we are trying to make the roof kinda match our teachers f-1 hes been involved in near 500+ chops in his career he's always trying something different some things we are doing on this chop are just experiments to see what will and will not work

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. chevy69

chevy69

13. Nice work. Good to see sleeves in the posts.

14. Great work, How about more info on your teacher's truck?

15. ...you're doin a dandy job,..i've always liked your teacher's F-1, very nice truck.

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great work , truck chop looks cool , wish i had a nice big shop like that one to work in , would be awesome

17. Looks good. Dougs truck does have a nice chop. I will stop by and say hi and intro my self some time.

18. chevy69

chevy69

19. chevy69

chevy69

20. gotwood

gotwood
    from NYC

You guys seam to know what you are doing but just a quick tip.

We all know that here is only so good you can get panels tha thave been mig welded. The welds are hard and you really can't work the weld or surrounding area after it is grinded to get it perfect. It is a fact of life that it will need filler. Not looking to get into the filler debate, if used properly there will be no problems.

Anyway, with a small cab like yours I would flip it over after you have evrything tacked and do all your finish welds from the inside. This way you hardly have to grind anything and the actual weld keeps it strength from not being grinded off. With good penetration you will have a very faint seam with lite grinding needed.

Just how I do it and I always look to learn. Like the way you did the top.

21. chevy69

chevy69

the migs are just tacks to get the fitment right after all fitting is done we grind down the mig and then tig the whole roof we planned on taking the roof off tmrw after we get the sides done and flipping it over to smooth out any bad spots

thanks for your feedback guys keep on looking back for progress on our build and let us know what you think