Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are domestics the only hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodknocker, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

I really dont see a reason or all the Drama.

And that inludes Remarks like that one...

If somebody wants to think that Cars like these are not true Trad Hot Rods, thats fine.

We are all entitled to our own Fucked Up Opinions...

Attached Files:

3. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This hot rod also hot-rod (hŏt'rŏd')
    n. Slang
    An automobile that has been rebuilt or modified to increase its speed and acceleration.

hot'-rod' v., hot rodder, hot'-rod'der n.

true true true... it used to be that IGNORANT people (look up the definition if you don't know the true meaning of the word) pissed me off. more and more lately i find them ammusing :D...

true as well. though that movie was actually made in like 1984 i think that part of it was pretty accurate. the movie was set in 1964 (Halloween night in fact). had i been alive in 64 i suspect i would have called it a hot rod. BUT so many people have their own definition of what makes a "Hot Rod" so i suspect that even in those days enthusiasts where just as divided as this board is today.
    P.S. i farkin LOVE that Beetle. been plannin to build one ALOT like it for a long time now. it'll have one SICK opposed 4 engine in it too... if i get to it. it's on my long list :D.

...TRUE STORY. all this ignorance based anti-VW ranting has actually caused me to like them, and want to build them, even more than ever... i say "ignorance based" in reference to the people who say "foreign cars can't be hot rods" when in fact they can and are and always have been used as such. it's fact. pick up a car mag from the late 50s through the 60s. argue it all you want, your just proving your ignorance to the rest of us.
    now, if you simply dis-like foreign cars as hot rods i would call that "opinion based" and would say you are perfectly entitled to it. why argue with someones OPINION? it's their's, let them have it. but if your spouting off so called "facts" i'm gonna argue back and throw up all the historical PROOF i can get my hands on to show you and the world your ignorance... ;)

point is: open your eyes and maybe try opening a book before opening your pie hole trying to pass your opinions off as historical fact... i'm just amazed at how eager some people are to stick their foot in their mouth.:rolleyes:

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

indeed we are.... but hey, sometimes the truth hurts. sorry i had to point out the obvious. sometimes i'm compelled to do things out of pure principle. SUE ME!;)

...oh shit i'm wasting time. time to go out to the shop. gotta get some shit done on my 47 Chevy so i can trade it for a Beetle. :D

5. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

You need to take a look at pre-65 VW prices on the bay. Not so cheap any more.:eek:

6. Merc63

Merc63

That last bit is really at the crux of it, isn't it? Opinion vs fact, vs knowledge.

Pure opinion can't be argued with, unless it's BASED on a lack of knowedge. Pure opinion is, say, "I like blue cars better than any other color." Has its roots in a gut instinct, a feeling, and something that can't be explained.

Saying "I like blue cars better than any other color car" is unassailable. Can't be argued with. BUT... if you say, "I like blue cars best, and red cars suck" now you've gone past the realm of pure opinion, and that statement can be argued with (and will be, by owners of red cars..)

Saying, "I don't like foreign cars" is pure opinion and can't be argued with. Saying, "I don't like foreign cars because..." gives a supposed "fact" as the basis for the opinion. If that fact is demonstrably incorrect, then it can and will be argued against.

Knowledge is power. Opinions based on knowedge tend to be respected and listened to. Opinions based on lack of knowledge and outright ignorance tend to be shunned. Look a the thread about people calling our traditional rods "dune buggies," as well as all the other mistaken opinions that the general public has about our traditional rides. We laugh them off, and tend to not listen to their opinions, as we know they are not knowledgeable. Sometimes we try to educate them, especially if there is a benefit in doing so. But as knowledgeable enthusiasts, it's painful to read opinions and assertations of fact from other supposed enthusiasts that show a similar lack of knowledge.

Traditional rods and customs are obviously cars that could have been built in a narrowly defined time period, and in a certain manner. Within that scope there are a wide variation of cars being built, including cars that COULD have been built then, but most likely would not have, due to a lack of popularity. We have seen gassers built from cars that wouldn't have seen that kind of build up. We see customs built from unpopular cars of the time period. And apparently, some people are ignoring cars that WOULD have been built during that time period. While I understand ignoring newer cars built in the STYLE of the traditional rod and custom, at least in the context of this particular website, there is no reason to shun cars that COULD have been built before 1964, as there is ample evidence that such cars WERE built during that time period. And yes, that includes quite a few non-domestic cars. And this is not a statement of opinion, but of fact.

7. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Merc63 anouther kid who thinks he can rewright history. Go to the N.H.R.A. Museum.

8. tommy v

tommy v

i don't give a shit about vw's or how much they go for now days . they don't belong here ,go to your vw broad and tell them how much your vw is worth --we don't care--

9. Merc63

Merc63

Are you telling me that foreign cars were NOT used as hot rod and custom fodder before 1964? that I'm somehow rewriting history by saying they WERE? Pictures posted in this thread by others are proof that I'm right.

10. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

Maybe you should re-read my post. Or better yet, start from the beginning of this thread. I was only stating that they are not cheap anymore. I don't own one. Check my avatar.... All American steel baby!:cool:

11. Merc63

Merc63

VWs built before 1964 as gassers would belong here just as much as an Anglia or Fiat Topolino. And that's just here in the US. In general, we have no problem allowing, say, Volvo customs and drag cars here, and we have no problem welcoming hot rodders from around the world working with what THEY have available.

It should be painful to be that closed minded and ignorant. I've loved the huge number of custom car pictures you've posted, tommy. But I guess I can scratch you off the list of people to actually respect and listen to. :(

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Iam telling you hot rods are pre 49 I dont give a shit about your 64 shit box..

13. skidsteer

skidsteer

There are lots of guys on the HAMB from Europe, and out of necessity, many of their rods are foreign, and I'd be glad to own most of them.

14. Merc63

Merc63

This BOARD is pre '64. Cars built in the gasser style are part of this board. Gassers are part of hot rod history. And that's what we're talking about, if you're not too stupid to keep up.

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

I had a guy tell me about my '28 Roadster " Yeah... Its kinda neat, but its not really a Hot Rod "
    He owned a Rod Shop even...

I wasn't going to argue with him,
    because if I thought I could have changed his mind, I would have been as much of a Dumbass as he was.

Other statements that fall in that category are:

"No foreign car can be a hot rod...."

Or saying the HAMB is the place for People who dont have a fucking clue what a Trad Hot Rod is.

<!-- / message -->

16. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Foreign cars are ok just don't tell me thay are hot rods.

17. tommy v

tommy v

i like all cars, just not vw's and not here sorry

18. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Merc63= STUPID is not knowing what pre 49 means.

19. Merc63

Merc63

Rustyford, if you can't keep up with the conversation, that's your problem. Please look at metalshape's posts on page two.

And you can keep your street rodder definition of what constitutes a hot rod to yourself. Again, look to the posts on the first two pages as to refutation of your definition of "hot rod." The FACT is that foreign cars were used as hot rods.

And if you want to keep it to pre'49, then those Anglias and Fiats, and Austin Bantams were hot rods. Thus even under YOUR definition, foreign cars were used as hot rods. As the pictures prove.

Go ahead, keep arguing. :rolleyes:

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Are domestic (U.S.) hotrods still considered hotrods in other countries?????
    Are VW's domestics of Germany????
    Is the HAMB worldwide????
    Is the earth round???
    Just curious......

21. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I was at newengland dragway an saw two snowmobiles race at over 100mph. now do you call them hot rods.

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

Snowmobiles?

What does that have to do with anything?

Pre '49 Snowmobiles?

Domestic?

I think we reached the end of this Thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.