Register now to get rid of these ads!

HRI's 46 Hot Rod PU Chassis Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hard0206, May 4, 2008.

1. hard0206

hard0206
    from Rapid City

Hey guys, my name is Kyle Harder, and I am another student at Hot Rod Institute, you may have seen a previous post of my friend Peter's Chop Top F1. This is the chassis build of my 46 Chevy Hot Rod Pick-Up. I will be updating the post as more progress is made. The link is to a photobucket album because I havent figured out how to upload multiple pics on this site yet. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/kylejharder/

2. chevy69

chevy69

3. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

definetly looks better than mine. But that doesn't take much.

4. chevy69

chevy69

5. chevy69

chevy69

6. chevy69

chevy69

7. chevy69

chevy69

8. chevy69

chevy69

9. chevy69

chevy69

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

truck looks cool nice frame job ,

11. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

like i said, definetly looks better than mine.

12. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

excellent! Thanks for using our parts.

I like the way you used the rear four bar frame mounts... I've never seen them mounted vertically like that! Also like the axle hoop. One comment... it would be nice to see the front end of the upper bar mounted in double shear. It's going to make it exponentially stronger.

Thanks again for using our parts - looks like you're having a great time! The truck looks awesome so far.

13. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Kyle, with your permission, I'd like to use some of these pictures in a TTDWAB newsletter... you'll get $5 credit per picture.

14. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Glad to see that they are teaching you to weld in the, On your head inverted uphill fillet position. That on is tough to master!

15. hard0206

hard0206
    from Rapid City

I would love to trade some pics for credit, I would like to call and talk to you personaly before hand if thats ok. Ill try tomarrow or the next day. I know that the single shear is weaker but I took a few steps to try to over come that problem. I machined out the bolt hole size in the adjuster so I could fit a larger grade 8 bolt. There is a sleve that has been drilled and tapped, which contiunes all the way thru the crossmember welded on both sides. The outer sleve just ads a little more strength. I might have to add a tab to make it a double shear if it apears that it is going to be a problem. Thanks for the concern though, and I hope to talk soon.

16. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

Looks really nice!! keep up the good work.
    I would like to give you some advice on the forward mounts for your upper links. you really ought to think about mounting them with a double sheer mount (thats a plat on each side) rather than running the bolt into the tubing. You are going to get a lot of stress on the tube the the bolt is running into.
    I dont want to shoot you down because youve done agreat job, but i would hate to see you get hurt or have to change it after your done and painted.
    there is probably some chassis fab guys that could chime in and offer some more advice.
    Just my 2 cents
    Keep it up and keep us posted!

17. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Sure Kyle, give me a call. It will probably be fine - it sounds like you've done some thinking and brainstorming there.

dw

18. DLipp

DLipp
    Member Emeritus

Next time I am in Rapid I should go look at the facility. I know last time I had my 29 Model A up there my dad wanted to go by and show the guy who is running the school. My dad knows him because my dad owns the building. Have fun and learn a lot....

19. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Any updates, Kyle?

20. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Hey Kyle, What's the word on this build? This is some of the best chassis work I've seen here. Show us more!