Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod/Automotive TV Shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51special, May 10, 2006.

1. 59 brook

59 brook

as a small business owner i thought american hot rod was good ,shoot me but i enjoyed it .i also like livin the low life lot's of cool old cars

2. Green Go

Green Go

Most of the shows seem like they're just one long sales pitch for overpriced performance parts. I would like to see a show with real world budget builds, cheap or free horsepower tricks, stuff like that.

3. dbradley

dbradley

Well, I don't have cable so the only way I'd see it is over the air. The best how to shows are on PBS and the reason is they are NOT in your face selling. Its subtle, as in "made possible by....." Then during the show, brands are sort of in the background. More on the HOW TO and done by PROs, not wana bees... So there's your map, NO mention of sponsors and ONLY use PROs. Good luck on trying to get anyone to do that on commercial TV.

4. ComingApart

ComingApart

I think this might be a decent show, but i'm too busy drooling over Vida Guerra to notice.

She is.....wow....

5. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Don't get caught up in what's right or wrong about current TV shows. Give us real shops, real people, real cars, and real products. That's what I want to see. Go out to shops whether they be commercial or private, and follow the builds or projects through to the end. Give us good tech features and product features, and not just from advertisers either. Cover a cool event every once in a while too, and throw in a good lookin woman from time to time just for fun :)
    Glenn

6. hodaphile

hodaphile
    Alliance Vendor

This coming season on 2 Guys watch as a 61 custom gets built. Some very cool stuff.

7. I know this thread may be old, but I'm surprised none of the recent posters mentioned " Living the Low Life"...While the show is not perfect it does several things very well that I like...

1: History: The show does a good job of telling the history of Lowriders in a respectful way and frequently utilizing the key figures which makes me as the viewer believe their story.

2: Variety: The show features a lot of different styles and versions of the Lowrider and explains the origins of each style very well.

3:Clubs: The show features a lot of different clubs and families and shows the importance of camaraderie and teamwork without a bunch of yelling and tools flying towards the camera. How refreshing...

4:Shops: The show visits lots of different shops and lets the people actually doing the hard work explain what they do plainly and clearly. While it's not always to my taste, I must take my hat off to the level of craftsmanship that goes into a lot of these cars.

5: Movers and Shakers: One of my favorite aspects of the show is the fact that they interview a lot of the movers and shakers in the hobby, the clubs, the industry (pumps, wheels, paint) the shops, the craftsmen, and they manage to let them tell their stories without it turning into some canned infomercial.

I would not call myself a Lowrider fan, but from watching this show, I have much more respect and understanding of Lowriders and the people who love them...and I never feel like I was sold something.

Look at like this...." Living the Low Life" holds my attention and has me tuning in...on a subject that I'm not really enamored with...so it must be good at what it does-it tells a story about a culture and gradually I have come to find that culture compelling and worthy of my time to tune in.

All the best-W.S.

8. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I enjoyed a show called V8 TV hosted by Kevin Oeste. It was about muscle cars and their construction. No BS tips on building cars. It also featured other interesting cars. Problem was, it was on the mens channel which got cancelled, it had little esposure. It was 1000 times more interesting than Whips and the other crap on now. Kevin is trying to keep his show up on the internet. True car guys don't need all the manufactured drama!

9. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

You forgot to mention the most important one....."Girl host, with big hooters"

Seriously, the show is quite entertaining.................

10. Abomination

Abomination

I'd love to see a show like:

"Pinks" meets "Biker Build Off" meets "Iron Chef".

Something where folks are given only so many "ingredients" and asked to build a traditional hot rod out of what they have in order to race it in X days - whoever wins the race wins the show, and a Snap-On toolbox full of tools (or whoever sponsors the thing's prizes). Maybe a rule that they can only trade ONE part with the other teams could be put in place, so they can play "go fish" with what they have. Perhaps each team could be "seeded" a bad part (nothing unsafe), as well as several NEW parts, and the rest they have to scavenge from a common "junkyard" area full of the rest of what they'd need, plus some.

Just an idea... would anybody watch this?

~Jason

PS: Oh yeah, a hot co-host with big hooters...

11. 29paul

29paul

On the speed channel was a show I think it was horsepower TV or something.They were building a (RAT ROD) as they called it.Had a very nice flathead so I watched show was crap.They used road signs for floor boards a 38 pistol as a shifter knob.Why would you put a 6000 $ supercharged flathead in a rusty 29 roadster.Show how to fix the rust and then put motor in.They used the word RAT 100 times I think.

12. mike nixon

mike nixon

i didn't read all of the previous posts but here's my take on your ?.

first of all there's not a "car building" show that holds my attn for more than a few minutes without pissing me off. i do some of this for a living and some of the crap they try to pull off on those shows is hilarious.

can the bullshit acting and build cars, i don't care what year as long as it's a rwd or awd.

start with something rusty or beat, no buff-n-shine projects.

build something other than a tri 5 chevy, and no kit cars.

do it in real time for the most parts, no 15 minute 1/4 hangs.

use someone who knows their trade. explain in common language, preferaby english, why it's done that way.

finish the project out and show it done, be it traditional or high end show.

i like the comment re the pbs style of production. it's informative, uses true pros for the work and shows the project from beginning to end.

13. deucemanab

deucemanab

Show That I Will Watch,overhauling'two Guys Garage,american Hot Rods And Pinks.

14. FWIW, the first 80 posts of this thread are from 2006 and it seems to have been revived along there somewhere.

15. Abomination

Abomination

As I hit the button, I caught that! LOL!!

:eek:

~Jason

16. ComingApart

ComingApart

It's been mentioned twice at least...

17. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

The hard part will be to make it a show and Not an instructional video. Good Luck

18. BCR

BCR

I liked living the low life. Real craftsman and real people even if low riders aren't your thing. I liked seeing the shops. As for the host, she seems to fit the low rider attitiude so I think she works. Kinda funny to watch her spray paint. Plus they showed how the wire wheels were made, very interesting.

19. boldventure

boldventure

One of my favorite automotive TV shows is Victory by Design. They pick marques and categories and show the cars being driven. The sound track is EXCELLENT and I turn it up so loud the neighbors must think I'm crazy!:D

20. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I liked the episode when Boyd's wife spun that roadster and they came and took her license away.Nobody but us will watch it without all that stupid drama.

21. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

automotive shows -- two guys garage (formerly shade tree mechanic), truckin USA, classic car restoration, My classic car

movie - HOT RODS TO HELL