Register now to get rid of these ads!

We are getting started on some castings...whatcha think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spencurai, May 3, 2008.

1. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Relax Zman, were all just having a little fun, and spencuria is taking it in stride.

I dont think his "your mamma" comment was directed at any one person. It was just a quick whitted come-back, and personally, I found it hillarious! Infact this thread might be the best entertainment going on the HAMB right now.

I would like to know everyones thoughts on HAMB logo stuff. Especially Brian [if he's watching]

2. belair

belair

I think Muttley would go for some hearts and unicorns.

3. zbuickman

zbuickman

Hey Z-Man I really think he was talking about your mother[​IMG]

and yes otto wins. those look GOOD:)

4. HEBE GB

HEBE GB

I think a punk is someone that would bid on and win a charity auction
    then renig on the payment.Imoa

5. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

yep, and THIS doesnt need skulls to be bad ass.

Along the lines of casting, in this post i saw the use of wooden prototypes to mold off of. Is that how they did most of the stuff back in the day ?

In all my spare time, lol, im currently working on building several cool yet secret prototypes for casting (i'll share info when i have something worth sharing.) Anyway, im doing my cad drawings and using rapid prototyping using a 3D printer. That's explained a bit here: http://www.zcorp.com/Solutions/Castings--Patterns--Molds/spage.aspx

Basically these babies print a plastic version of your dream before you have a chance of your next nightmare. Helps guys like me that don't have woodworking equipment :D

-scott noteboom

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I think belt buckles would be more fitting....and then I still would not buy one. $.02

7. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

wow, just what the world needs more skulls. Are iron cross ones next?

8. Cuntsrtuktive kriticizum-gotta luvit

9. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey Spencurai,
    Nice work! Working parts of that finish up in your backyard? Nice.
    You'll find your niche.

10. So let me get this straight. The printer actually prints the part out in plastic just like you drew it in your auto cad program, then you put it in you casting box, fill the box with whatever sand, plasteraperices( like jewlers do) and set up then that way.

11. dutchcedar

dutchcedar

^^^ Pretty much. 3D printing is gonna have a big impact on things in the next few years, as their prices continue to fall. To the skull castings... I could give a crap what image you used, spencurai. They came out looking tits. The criticisms you're hearing are akin to "you shouldn't have painted the wheels red". Like anyone else's Martha Stewartesque design ideals should take precedence over your own. Maybe if they sold HAMB candy with usable 3D logos, you would have tried it, but they don't, so there ya go. Personally, I'd be hoping you could whoop out a camera and take some pictures of your next casting process... maybe using something more original, like an iron cross... :)

12. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Yeah, but dont tell anyone my secret :D

The 3D printer loads with your drawing and the color ABS plastic you want to use and yeah-- it does magic and builds the part.

This is the machine im using: http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-printers/printing-productspecs1200series.aspx

-scott noteboom

13. I respectfully request your ideas on stuff to do! Jeff looked around and couldn't find any cool block off plates or fuel blocks so he decided to start making these. If it can be bought commercially than it really isn't worth the time and effort to make your own.

The HAMB logo is a copyrighted piece that we would have to get permission to reproduce. If Ryan is interested in doing something like that we would be happy to oblige.

Valve covers are next on the list because we are fans of the Vortec heads and not a lot of really neat stuff is available to us without using stupid adapters. Your work is amazing! I think you sell yourself short by using terms like "a little elbow grease" because making molds is A ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS!! My hat is off to you sir.

I guess your skin is as thick as MY mom's thighs! Gawd dude have another PBR and smoke a lucky strike already, you need to relax!

Holy crap I just realized that my little brother might have access to one of these "printers" at the university....:D You guys are the best!!

14. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

by the way-- very quickly technology is making this more accessible to the masses-- such as goons like me.

not only is access to 3D printing for rapid prototyping being more accessible, but as is 3D scanning.

for example, i just did a 3D scan of a rare Cadillac flathead part that im going to build some limited editions of. 3d scan into CAD. Add your "shrinkage buffer" and clean up, then right to 3D printed rapid prototype. i work in the technology business, so im ok being corrupted by all this shit.

This stuff is all getting closer to being accessible by the masses, at a low cost.

Use these tools to not build skulls and maltese cross belts buckles.

-scott noteboom

15. Thats not very "Traditional" of you...lol

16. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

it's our little secret. dont tell anyone.

i've got a nice van too. want a lift?

-scott noteboom

17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Better watch it Spenc,, he's trying out his good pickup lines on ya!!!

18. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

How about instead of the overplayed skulls, just a nice texture or maybe even his initials or something unique to his own style and vintage like that - similar to what "M/T" or "Edmunds" did but in his own signature? Looks like he knows how to do it very well, we're just not into the skull thing around here. If he can make some high quality handmade skull pieces as good as that, then he can put his name or initials on it and it would sell. That is traditional and what plays on this board. I appreciate the post and your friend's skill and effort for sure, just needs to be a different design. Since he makes them by hand, then he already has a big leg up on mass produced off-shore junk. Maybe he can hand number them too so they are all unique and express their limited hand made production. Make 10-20 of one design and then don't make it anymore and make another design so it doesn't get too boring either.

20. DCarr

DCarr

21. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

The last time I visited Gale Banks' secret hot rod lab, he was prototyping one-off blowers using this method. They were using a 3D printer to make the masters out of wax, then casting in aluminum using a lost-wax method. They were using a similar system to prototype all the bits and pieces for the cold air induction on their turbo stuff. They could printout a piece from plastic, then bolt it on to the car to run tests! Pretty neat indistinguishable-from-magic-type tech.

22. 53burb

53burb

switchbladesuede...I don't need skulls all over my car(s) to be bad ass...wink! I just think, in my opinion, that skulls and other logo-symbols, are played out. Don't get me wrong. The guy has a good skill on what he does. So be it. Let him make them, there is a market out there for anything nowadays. All the power to him in a positive way!! How about some that say KNUX on them??? Now that would be a big marketing WOWZER! What ya think, Noteboom? KNUX!

23. Cshabang

Cshabang

I thought Bad ass was defined by how tall your pomp and cuffs were..haha: no offense..haha
    moderation in everything gets lost somewhere

AS for the parts, I think they look high quality, but not my thing...

24. Cshabang

Cshabang

this sounds like a killer process to see in person...

25. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

I heard that Jesse James is replacing the maltese cross in his logo with KNUX.

-scott noteboom

26. 53burb

53burb

hehe! Statue of Limitations Holmes!!!! I pretty much think, know, that he has made more than enough $$$ just from friggin apparel from that logo. KNUX!

27. Only if you have good candy in the shape of skulls, Iron crosses, and miscellaneous Rat Fink characters!!

Unlike a lot of people in this hobby we aren't doing this crap to make money or sell anything to you guys, we just want some unique hand made stuff on our rides. It takes ZERO talent to order your stuff out of a catalog or pay someone else to do it. The great part about automotive hobbies is taking pride in your ability to work on your own junk, build your own car, and customize it the way you like it.

We grew up around old hot rodders that LIKED skulls, iron crosses, and Rat Fink characters. We built all the Rat Fink models when we were kids and joined the Ed Roth fan club with the application in the model box. We don't do skulls because we saw some guy at a car show last week, we do skulls because it IS TRADITIONAL for us. To us it sounds hilarious when you guys say "I'm so tired of that look...it's soooo last week!" because you sound like those chicks that are into high fashion "I'm so tired of those gucci handbags...it's soooo last week!"

First it isn't traditional...then it's TOO traditional because too many people are doing it...you guys are hilarious:rolleyes::D

28. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Not a big fan of the skulls, but you have inspired me to pickup a few books on sand casting and give it a try myself.

29. Aluminum makes sense for a lot of stuff...it is a wonder metal with some amazing properties. It is easier to do hobby style because of the relatively low melting point

http://www.muggyweld.com/melting.html

the next closest metal looks like Magnesium but who in their right mind would want to do that in their backyard? Not me! I had a buddy that worked for Rolls Royce in Park City and he used to get Magnesium scrap to sneak into the campfire when we would hit the desert...if you thought you were tuff and could stick around the fire with a fist sized chunk of Mag you got a killer sunburn at 2am!! I remember someone was burning a VW engine block out at the salt flats a few years ago....you could see your shadow on the mountains 5 miles away!!

Back on topic though...

If we do much more we need to get a pyrometer to get the AL to the right temperature, we have had a few pours where the AL was too cold and shrunk when it hit the mold so he had to start over.