Register now to get rid of these ads!

The youth of today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mercury Kid, Apr 1, 2008.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i want to strangle an 18 year old "youth" friend of mine, just got a 69 plymouth valiant in perfect condition except for some interior stuff, straight rust free body etc. and god dammit he want to fucking rice it up with a fucking wing and gangster rims,and godforbid cut up the dash. i should fly out there and punch his ass,this car is beautiful. eveb has the original am radio still in it.

2. Merc63

Merc63

I really have to laugh at this thread.

"those damn fool kids and their hopped up cars, and their evil music"

A line that's been levelled at every generation since WWII. Take out the bit about hopped up cars and that same sentiment has been levelled at every new generation since the Victorian era.

[​IMG]

"Are these our children? Teenage terrorists tearing up the streets!"

Hahahaha.

[​IMG]

Hot rods were basic cars, and dare I say it, economy cars, hopped up for more speed. Customs were new cars chopped up and modified for looks. Hot rodders were and often are looked on as outlaws and hoodlums. Many of you traditional rodders proudly portray that image today. And many of you sound like your parents and "polite society" of the day when talking about modern kids and their cars and music.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

3. its the fast and furious syndrome...

4. David Savary

David Savary

I hate to say it but these kids are OUR fault (not really "OUR" fault, my kid is cool!) I work in a high school and these little assholes don't have to answer for ANYTHING they do. NO accountability! The school is scared to death to punish them because they don't want to deal with the parents or the parent's LAWYERS!! They don't know how to be anything but dorks, and the parents don't know how to or don't care enough about them to teach the little shits any better. These kids just don't know how to act or react to anything.
    Whew...now I feel better!

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Oh man, not a 69 Valiant! Anything but a 69 Valiant! :rolleyes:

6. 68Caddy

68Caddy

A Ford or Chevy has a soul, jap cars just don't sorry. I respect their culture, history, food, & the girls are so hot. But the cars sorry, i can't take em serious.

7. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

This post makes me laugh lol. Its movies like "The fast and The ferouis" type junk that gets the kids today thinking there cars are like race cars. Im 16 and have tons of stupid ass friends that think there Sabbs and hondas are huge horsepower cars that will beat anything. I dont even ride with anyone else because of how bad and dangerously they drive there cars. Like the others on here said "SOME" of these kids these days dont know what a real car is and have never drivin one. If you take $20,000 from one of these kids these days and put it into a car to build or restore it I deffiently dont think they would be abusing it like they do with the cars that mom and dad buy them. I let my buddy take my 96 jeep with a 6.5" lift and 33" mud tires out for a ride and I never laughed so hard in my life hahaha He couldnt believe that some cars have to actually be driven and not just turned on and punch it.

8. Merc63

Merc63

Cars don't have soul except for what the builder has put into it. And I respect any car well built by an enthusiast, be that a 36 Ford taildragger or an SCCA modded RX7. And any car powered by an internal combustion engine can be built up like any other car, as the Mooneye's Japan show demonstrates. And the "soul" of that car is the expression of its builder's enthusiasm.

I see the same snobbish closed mindedness when I go to the Italian or German car meets, and they level the same accusation on American cars, as well. It's not pretty, no matter who's doing it.

9. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The bottom line is that our nation has become one where nobody takes personal responsibility for anything. "Not My Fault" should be printed on our flag.

It's my mother didn't love me, or my daddy left us, or I was raised poor, or I didn't get the breaks, or I was picked on in school, etc. etc. etc..

Well grow up, once you get to about 20 years old YOU are responsible for how your life turns out, period!

Here is a flash, the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Got problems in your life? You are the problem, your life has turned out exactly like it has because of every decision you have made up to this point. Good news is YOU are also the solution, so fix it.

I applaud kids like Mercury Kid and the others that have chimed in. Kids that are working on stuff instead of parked in front of the TV with the X-Box. I really don't care if it's Honda or a Duece 3 Window as long as they are building something they are proud of.

There are lots of good youth out there and like always lots of idiots. Parents, be parents, teach your kids respect and responsibility and they will thank you for it later.

GV has left the soapbox...

10. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

I don't think the kids are any worse than when I was younger (1968, I was 18).........There were some real creeps and assholes back then too........

Hot Rodders go on about the creepy "Rat Rodders" etc....but at least they are carrying on the tradition of Rodding....just a bit differently.....The same could be said for the "Ricers"....at least they are doing it............

Most kids of any generation are pretty normal....Its the weirdos that stand out and give them all a bad name. .......With todays communications being so world wide, we see much more of it.........., the so called....."Celebrity Role Models" don't help matters........

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

THANK YOU!! THIS IS THE REASON I AM ON HERE,maby i own a japanese car,but belive me i have worked on it for a decade and i have just as much work in it as a traditional rod,i respect anyone who really puts their soul into a car,any car,the guys on the site i belong to are just like you guys, we have taken a forgotten car, that no one cares about,and which has no aftermarket,and figured out every trick possible on it,and everything that can be done to it. everything from the body to the engine and transmission,.
    def true,but not everyone who has problems asked for them,it's how you deal with the things that happen to you and the attitude you have at life. you can say everyone feel sorry for me,or you can say,there are people a lot worse off then me and deal with it and be happy for what you have.

there is a big difference between ricers and people who work on older japanese cars, ricers in the group of people i hang out with means people who generally bolt on large ugly park bench wings, cover their cars with stickers,fill them with cheap ass ugly accessories,and the loudest stereo you can find. as far as work on their cars? usually doesn't happen. there is another group us us who like japanese cars who do real work, i can't even watch the f&f movies, they make me ill.

12. I’m not sure that I should even respond, but here goes:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I don’t think the youth of today are much different than we were. Adults didn’t take time to understand us and had little time for our love of hotrods. We are the same today.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Most of you traditional purists were not around and got your ideas from Hotrod and other magazines of the time. Most of those were of the same few cars. The hot rod scene is focused on So. Cal., the rest of the country was much different. I know there were a couple guys in each town that had pretty nice rods, but most had to settle for something that would run, then add parts from a junkyard or Pepboys as they were able to, either limited by money or skill. Today isn’t much different. We had fender skirts, cherry bombs, curb feelers, flipper caps, foxtails, and dice. Today it’s fart mufflers, chrome wheels, way low, and loud stereos, also all kinds of decals. The truckers today have to add balls to their trucks, Ha Ha!! That’s class.
    Those of you who are so intolerant, how about you find a bunch of model A’s and sell them to the younger guys at a reasonable price or even give it to them, maybe then they will build what you like. Fat chance of that! I bet you want top dollar when you sell yours. How many kids can even have an old car in their developments? Home associations and old grumps would call the law on them in an instant. Back in my time we could work in our yards or even at the local garage or junkyard, few can do that today. I bet they can’t get Dad to let them use the garage, we seldom could.
    I have spent lots of time with young people at racetracks, both oval and straight, and if I show a little interest and respect it is usually returned in kind. I had occasion to attend the Hamb & Scrapple breakfast last weekend, met some nice folks from teens to my age. The old guy, right Smokey! (68). Everyone was respectful of each other, tattoos, fat bellies, age or whatever. Great time. Socializing with young people help keep you young. Try it, it won’t hurt. And don’t be one of those close-minded old grumps!
    Thanks for your tolerance, Bill

13. VintageIron

VintageIron

Hey zach, my honda is faster than yours!!! Maybe I'll finally buy that fairlane and make a gasser out of it lol. The 66 vert really isn't "hot rod" so I may get shit here. :eek:

FYI I'm friends with MercKid and wanted to put my two cents in. I'm 21 and I've owned a few 5.0 Mustangs, a 67 Mustang that my dad and I rebuilt from the ground up, and few others. As kids we build what we can afford. Currently I have a 5.0 Mustang, 66 Mustang Vert and my 96 Honda. All of which I've bought with my own money except for the vert (it was my uncles before he passed). I have a Honda with a motor swap. It'll knock down 30+ mpg and mid 13's in the 1/4....for 5 g's. I needed a daily and insurance companies don't like to insure kids in "hot rods". I realize some hate imports or will tell me to go buy a hot rod for god's sake, but I build what I can afford and like. Ya know my Honda isn't much different than hot rods. It has more gear, 11:1 comp, bigger cam(s), ported head, header(s), bigger intake manifold and most importantly a stick. One important fact. My car has no wing, no body kit, no big wheels. It has stock wheels, tails, bumpers. It's not flashy.

I want everything from a gasser fairlane to a datsun 510 wagon to tool around in. If it has four wheels and looks cool, I can have respect for it. I have respect for a 700 hp Supra even though it's not my cup of tea. On the other hand a half-assed scary looking hot rod or "rat" as the popular term goes may not because it's just as hazardous as that ricer with a park bench wing and a fart pipe. There are examples from all generations that look like crap and are a disgrace. Just look at some of the T-buckets built in the mid-70's, I mean come on those aren't much worse than ricers. Look at these "kit" cars that make your mid-90's T-bird look like a '50 Ford. You can go wrong in any era.

Build what you love, listen to the voices in your head, and tell others to F off.

14. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Your honda is faster than your 5.0 from a roll!!! That thing still makes me cringe when the tach tops out and the motor keeps going. When are we going to put down some times for the jap crap?

15. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

This post really hit the nail on the head. There are too many warnings to protect stupid people from themselves these days. If we didn't have so many warnings, the theory of natural selection would work better.

Parents are too protective these days too. My younger brother (15) got a ticket today while riding his electric minibike.
    He got caught riding it on a public road (not just the neighborhoods like you should do) riding it. He has no license, and his learners permit is not active because he has not completed the classes. So he got a ticket for operating an unregistered motorcycle, operating a vehicle without a license, and operating a vehicle without insurance. I think it may have been a bit harsh to pile on 3 citations for a first offense, but so be it. The thing that gets me, is my parents are already trying to figure a way to fight the ticket and get him off scott free. No, make him pay the ticket and pay the insurance increase assuming they let him have a license at 16. I got a speeding ticket, I dealt with it and paid for it myself, I went to traffic school, I learned my lesson. If you take care of your kids problems, and pay for them, or just make them go away, they won't learn anything.

Personally, I'd like to think I have a solid head on my shoulders at 19 (20 in a few months). I've always thought of most people my age as idiots. I don't have any friends left from high school. I cant be doing too bad though, if I was able to open my own shop before the age of 20.

16. S.F.

S.F.

Sounds like a wrist pin is knockin so id pour about 3 quarts of shaller rislone in it.

17. autobilly

autobilly

Those stupid Fast and Furious movies have a lot to answer for!

18. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

In the words of Fat Mike...Someone left a steamer in the Gene Pool. My inputs on this whole thing, weres the parents??? Grew up being taught a car is as dangerous as a loaded gun. Respect it and maintane it and it will never fail you. Neglect it or improper use of it will kill you or someone else. Now as for the tards of the world... two kinds stupid or dumb.. done many dumb things in life, was stupid once or twice.. but never hurt anybody ( no cars wrecked ) motocross days...wish I could say the same for myself, but hey broken bones heal and chicks dig scars. Short in short its their attitude, so got it some dont..deal with it everyday in the service, try taking people from every walk of life stick them in a room and see if they get along. Sadest part is most of the people that are the hardest, tolerant and willing to learn workers in my command, arent even US born. Whats that say of american youth today?

19. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Ok. I have to make a comment on this quote. Nothing against you Chopped, and I'm no English teacher, but:

alot should be "a lot"
    aloud should be "allowed"
    stupider should be "more stupid"
    and there should be some form of punctuation after "so on".

I'm really sorry man, it just made me laugh when I read your response.

Again, sorry. I probably should have "axed" you if I could post this.

20. Low

Low

Hotrodchassis, your post immediately brought this to mind.

Attached Files:

21. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Only in the 14`s huh???

A friend has built a few turbo Honda cars in the past few years and all have been 11-second cars and still get 30 mpg!

22. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

23. If suicidal kids' parents can sue rockstars, why not street racing victims' parents suing the produces of that shit film?

24. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

LOL.. Wow, that's some funny shiznit mahn.

25. This is so true on 90% of the posts on the HAMB...Are we getting too
    lazy to even spell correctly? I'm not an English teacher either,but I did
    pass my "spelling" tests...

26. VintageIron

VintageIron

It's just a daily, mid 13's N/A. I don't want to have to run drag radials all the time, break axles (even when upgraded) and have to deal with torque steer. It just ain't right to have the front end pushing through a turn when the wheel is at full lock. Hey FYI it's not just Honda guys that street race because of the fast and furious. Anyone remember that Charger that Vin Diesel rambles nonsensically about. You're never sure whether he means drag racing or roundie round cars. Oh my favorite line, not double clutching like ya should! As much of a train wreck as those movies are I've seen everyone. Tokyo Drift was terrible. It actually made me up chuck a little in my mouth when the Skyline RB25DET engine went into that fastback Mustang. Gross....

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thank you!! i've been working on my old honda for ten years it's an 86, try to find stuff for it lol. i get sick of people telling me to get a real car, this was a great old car. you see a lot of sedans on the road, but very few of these hatchbacks. i like traditional hot rods too, which is why i'm here,i'm just a car guy is all. i just picked something you don't see every day anymore. plus it's a car from when i was a teenager in the eighties. i have put just as much blood sweat and (can't say beers,quit drinking in 91) into it as anyone else. but no one did it for me,had to work with what i had,what i could scavenge, junkyard parts etc. i don't think thats any different then the average guy on a budget building a traditional rod. i don't have a big wing eithier, well i have one,but it's bolted to my shop wall to hang hoses and cords on. see they do have a use! but i still have 14 inch wheels no fart cans,no flashy paint etc. everytime i have gone to a local car show i have always gotten respect from the traditional guys because they can see just how much work has gone into it. i respect anyone who really puts their heart and soul into a car. thats a lot different from someone who bolts on crap from walmart and can barely turn a wrench,guys like that have ruined the reputation of the guys who build real imports. you'll never see me at a light revving up a car with a fart can and blinking neon, or weaving in and out of traffic driving like an idiot with a three foot tall ugly ass wing

28. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Exactly..........I wish I could find one person on these boards, young or old that can spell the word...."probably"........and not ..."prolly"...or whatever spelling they use.......

29. pitman

pitman

And I thought "articulated" meant the chassis had a joint in the middle! :eek:

30. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

lol,:p