Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The 1952 Indy 500

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The City of Tacoma Spl. was a FINE looking piece.

Attached Files:

2. 36tbird

36tbird

Dumb things I notice and hope my learned Hammy friends can explain:

1. What was the significance of the bear on Agajanian's car? Where did his money come from? Was the bear a symbol of his company?

2. As an old Ford guy, I've always been amazed that Henry seemed way behind in shock science. That is, I've seen some kits for '36 Fords to install GM hydraulic lever shocks, Lovejoys, and tube shocks I think were available from the late '30's on Dodges and Plymouths, so I find it amazing to see the use of old Ford friction shocks as late as '52 on the Indy cars pictured. What gives, did the old time builders see worth in using those old Ford friction shocks?

Those who answer the questions to my satisfaction can meet me at the Helotes Starbucks and I will buy them their foo-foo coffees for the education.:D

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know about the bear, but Aggie made his bucks in the garbage business I believe.
    Tube shocks of that time were pretty primative, were'nt adjustable and were also prone to heating and foaming up under race conditions, whereas friction/lever could be adjusted on the car. Racers lived by the KISS theory then.

4. gasit

gasit
    from Dago

Thank you, great post, incredible photographs !
    33 beautiful cars from a golden era.I wish there were two Ferraris in this years 500. Bettenhausen is pictured in a privateer Ferrari up near the front but listed in the results in an Offy. Ascari in the factory effort , spun and must have walled it, trying to keep up.
    As always ,looking forward to enjoying another Indianapolis 500 !

5. burbanite

burbanite

Plenty...:)

Alas, they are all from the "modern era". Although I started young my experiences only began in the '70's.

One of the coolest things about the Indy 500 is being around all of the tradition. It originated in every little town that had a dirt track and by everyone that turned up to race and to spectate then culminated at the "500". The old names from yesteryear were always there, the cars were always there and there was an ever present link to the roots of the sport.

Tradition is alive and well...

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

By far... not even close... The Indy 500 is the best car event in the world... Even today.

If you've never been, do it before anything else.

7. The bear symbol I believe was to advertise for BEAR ALIGNMENT . They did the alignments for the indy cars for years. There were also many outlets around the country as well as alignment schools.

8. Is this the same bear ? I have three of these patches that I acquired in the early 60's.

What was the significance of the "Bear 500 Club" ?

Attached Files:

9. cretin

cretin

My vote goes to # 4. Looks like a good shape to me

You gotta love the guys in T shirts.

10. Gaters

Gaters

I was talking to my dad about this particular post on Indy 500 winners. I had mentioned Troy Rutman's picture was posted in this story. I had known Troy Rutman was a part of our family years ago but my Dad was able to share a little more info on the Indy winner. Troy was married to my Dad's cousin Beverly Brinkley from his mother's side of the family. They had three children, a son and two daughters. Their only son Troy Rutman Jr. picked up his dad's sport and was a race car driver himself. Unfortunately he was killed at a young age in a motorcycle accident on the streets. His two daughters and Beverly, still survive Troy Sr and Jr.

According to my Dad, Troy raced at Ascot Park (So. Cal 1/2 mile dirt track) in Reg Schlemmer's (dry lakes racing legend and member of the South Gate, Gaters) dirt track car quite a bit. From my Dad's recollection Troy Rutman and Bert Letner raced against each other in those days.

Thought I'd share a lil' history.

11. Gaters

Gaters

Not sure of the Bear 500 Club but the bear on the patch is very similar if not exactly the same bear used on Bear Alignment centers.

http://westernhillsbearalignment.com/

12. And Troy was born in Oklahoma! His family moved during the grapes of wrath era(dust bowl, depression)

13. I stole this from a wonderful site but cannot for the life of me remember where.

14. denracer32

denracer32

Back when I was a real young kid, Fred "Chick" Berends, who was the Business Agent for LOCAL #545 of the Teamsters took me for a ride on a Saturday to visit Pete Salemi's shop located on Croton Ave. Pete's comapny, Central Excavating, was located there, along with the race shop, overseen by mechanic Andy Dunlop. While Pete and Chick talked some business, I looked at the car and was then allowed to sit in it! What a thrill for a 12 year old. I was already started down the path of auto racing with Chick's son, Kenny, who was racing a Novice Division 1938 Ford coupe at Sportsman Park in Bedford, OH. After sitting in an Indy Car I thought it wouldn't get much better than that. Well, it did, as I was the PR/Sponsor liason for POLAK Racing and driver Larry Dickson at the 1979 and 1980 Indy 500 races. In the garage! Rubbing shoulders with Mario, JR, AJ and more. Needless to say, I'm still hooked and still very close friends with Kenny Berends. I still haven't forgotten my first time in an Indy Car!

15. sramoa

sramoa

Hi members!

I searching Indy 500 cars photos this year-but these cars are DNQ.Can somebody help me?If somebody can help me I sending an e-mail!

Thanks

16. idocadd

idocadd

Yeah, CGkidd who are you? I don't remember a Dave driving Rangers at that time. Arlie Lazore AKA Ole Bonefield. Ranger #7 owner/driver.

17. In light of being a few days from Pole Day for the 100 Anniversary of the Indy 500, this is just too good a thread to not bump to the top...Thanks to Ryan and Jim Rogacki...

18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

1. What was the significance of the bear on Agajanian's car? Where did his money come from? Was the bear a symbol of his company?

The "Bear" is not a bear on Aggies car. Look Close, it is a Pig. Aggie had a refuse disposal business in southern California. In those days it was legal to feed waste from restaurants to hogs. Just put it in a steam cabinet to sterilize it and ... instant hog slop that someone has already paid you to collect and dispose of for them. No wast in this process, so Aggie became a hog farmer. Some of his cars had the pig and the slogan "Used Food Special"

I'll be leaving for "The Speedway" on Wednesday.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

That winning car from 1952 later ran Pikes Peak with an Unser behind the wheel. It was restored back in the mid 1970's, its the only INDY winner I ever got to sit in. We couldn't believe it at the time but it sold to a pottery company in Ohio for $35,000. That was crazy money at the time.:eek:

20. Offy 220

Offy 220

29AV8,

Thanks for your info regarding Aggie. A little over 10 years ago I worked with one of Aggie's nephews. His dad was also in the "Trash" business. One of his favorite comments was, "Our family made big money in trash and laughed all the way to the bank."

Have a great time at the Speedway. The last time I was there was in the late 80's. Spent the whole month of May back there - went to every event that was "500" related - one of the best times of my life. :)

21. sp1ke

sp1ke

How cool is this!! My grandfather hepled score the 500 for the first 16 years that it ran..What great history. Thanks Ryan.

sp1ke

22. fredjack

fredjack

Ruttman won at the Michigan State Fair grounds, and took me, as a toddler on his victory lap in the Agajanian Special #98. I was fortunate to get a 1/22 Model of it, but unfortunate not to remember it myself. I had to often hear about it from my dad. Troy was not his real name, but the name of his older brother, that he registered with, because he was to young to register when he started racing.

23. RAY With

RAY With

site for sore eyes! How it was then when racing was just that-Racing!The cookie cutter electronic marvels of today all with the same chassis and motors and so restricted it sucks. Give me the old race cars any day.Thanks for posting Ryan.

24. burbanite

burbanite

I thought this an appropriate time to have this thread resurface. For anyone going to Indy this year there are plenty of these vehicles on display and tomorrow there will be several of them fired up. I managed to steal some time to drool over them today, talked to some of the owners and, well, I just had the best time...