Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drive shaft yoke help....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MotorBike Mike, Apr 29, 2008.

1. MotorBike Mike

MotorBike Mike

OK a little back story to tell you guys what I'm doing, what parts I'm using, and What I need...

I have a '54 Chevy that I'm converting over to open drive-line using an early to mid '70's 4 speed Saginaw trans and a '57 Chevy rear end.

The information that I'm looking for is...

What other trans' have the same spline where the front yoke slides onto? For example, does it happen to coincide with a 700r4 or th-350?

And if so is the drive shaft diameter at the front yoke the same as the yoke that I'm going to need at the rear end that carries the early u-joint from 55-63?

Or am I going to have to use one of those "combo" u-joints?

The reason I ask is so I know what kind of car to look for at the local pick a part to take the drive shaft from.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. pitman

pitman

I have had luck using search, on many occasions...if not, then I punt and ask Squirrel! :p

3. the 57 rear and the 70 s yoke could possable take the same u/joints.The splines needed to fit your trans and conect to a 57 d/shaft. U might not need to even shorten the d/shaft check it out before you buy it

4. Do what Mr. Mullen said. But I'm almost certian you will have to have one made. My 54 long ago had a 55 rear and a th350. I had to have one cut.

5. MotorBike Mike

MotorBike Mike

Yeah I know I'm going to have to have one cut, but the yoke info is what I'm after. the yoke from the '57 driveshaft definatly doesn't fit this trans. I tried it, and this trans output shaft is larger in diamiter as well as having more splines than the stock 3 speed from the '57.

Mike

6. timebandit

timebandit
    from Norway

The Saginaw 4 speed use the same yoke as Th350. You can get a new Spicer
    from your driveshaft shop for about $50-$60.

7. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I have a saginaw trans and a '57 chevy rear end. I got my transmisson yoke from speedway. The u-joints are the same for the trans yoke as well as the pinion yoke. hope this helps.

8. MotorBike Mike

MotorBike Mike

SWEET!! Thanks alot guys!

Mike