Register now to get rid of these ads!

what year is my banjo ford rearend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eviltex, Apr 29, 2008.

1. eviltex

eviltex
    from el paso tx

ive looked through the threads and im sorry if it was posted in the past but i didnt run into any.. i was told it was a 34 from the guy i bought it from, id still like to know what it really is for sure.. and if it is a 34 ford where can i pick up gears.. most places i see have 1936 and up listed for gear sets

2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Does it have a hollow driveshaft inside the torque tube? A '33-34 will have the fat hollow driveshaft..... Does it have, or not have a pinion support inside the banjo? Early rears did not have the pinion support.......These are a few of the things that will tell you what it is once you know what to look for......go to the Hot Rod Works (HAMBers) and look at the Tech part of their web site.......good guys.....ask them.....

http://www.hotrodworks.com/

Brucie

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

post a picture

4. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

have a look at this site and it will identify which axle you have

http://www.hotrodworks.com/project_vehicles_view.asp@carid=39.html

with regards to swapping gears virtually no one sells gears for early axles (pre 37?), the early axles have a 10 spline pinion, the late axles have a 6 spline pinion.

if you are lucky you will be able to pick up a good set of second hand gears from someone which are useable - if you do that though watch out for mismatched sets where someone has a pinion from one axle and a ring gear from another and sell them as a set - that will only end in tears.

5. eviltex

eviltex
    from el paso tx

very cool! i will post some pics tomarrow.. i have not opened it up yet but i do know that it has a 6 spline.. ive seen a few older model a rearends and this one looks beefier than those.. another question... how do you find the gear ratio? this is a subject i know little about.. i hope to find out many different answers to my rod questions here.. working with alot of different yeared drivetrain parts, in my head they should all match up but it seems as if i could be all wrong... thanks for the help!!

6. Divide the number of teeth on pinion into number of teeth on ring gear....