Register now to get rid of these ads!

//// art challenge 8: regional custom styles \\\\

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyingpolock, Mar 24, 2008.

?

Choose your favorite

Poll closed May 5, 2008.
  1. ChevyII

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. customcory

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. CQQLSPENCER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. deanopopino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dustyoldbodyman

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. fortypickup

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. flyingpolock

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  8. GaryC

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. himjively

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. jigger

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  11. misfit36

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. nate

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  13. WeavervilleStudios

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  14. ynottayblock

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

1) Silver metallic roof, Emerald Green body
    2) Black roof, Red metal flake body
    or just Hot rod black primmer & flames:D

2. ChevyII

ChevyII

Getting Closer lol
    [​IMG]

3. I recently went old school and ran over to the local library to get books on plumbing to do some work around the house instead of surfn the handyman websites. The display cases there had somebody's super kool old model collection. 60s and 70s stuff. The browned out decals and candy color paint brought back memories. i remember all those kits and i loved the AMT 3 in 1 kits that you could build stock, racing or custom.
    I could not remember any particular trend that came out of the area i grew up in the early sixties, mostly race cars. i do remember the magazines that had all the custom cars that seemed to be on every corner at in california in in all the model kits, so those were my inspiration for my entry.[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. That is schweet....Can you suggest a type of paper or board that works well for assembling this model?

5. i print em out from a inkjet on photo paper but sometimes that makes em harder to bend, but they glue nice. i've just used regular copypaper bond and tape. But index cover stock used for officecopiers is nice because it is light enuff to fold and stronger than bond paper.

6. My Dad builds a fair amount of paper ship models and most of those use a paper that's about the same thickness as a manilla folder or cardstock...He's found that once they're done, if you hit 'em with a couple of coats of artist's fixative (or hairspray if there's no art supply store near you) they tend to hold their shape a little better....and of course, warm moist paper folds better than cold hard paper so he'll warm up the paper in the oven first for a few minutes...then begin folding.

7. i've seen some of those ship models, they are awesome
    there is some really neat websites for paper models

8. customcory

customcory

New Jersey east coasta style, for Kustom7777:D

Dsc01367.jpg

9. ChevyII

ChevyII

customcorys drawing shown.
    [​IMG]
    This is a cool Sled... Nice Custom man.

10. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Some good stuff so far!
    Been battling deadlines and family health issues here, and have nothin' so far... Anyone up for a slight extension on the competition, or shall we roll on, and close it on the 22nd?
    Give me a shout, and we'll make it right for all involved/those who might like to be involved.

11. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

extension sounds good to me..mine is taken longer then i thought!

12. extension is good! I need it!

13. I PM-ed Brian but here's my 2-cents....How about we extend the current Art Challenge until Sunday April 27th at 11:59pm?!?!?

14. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

extend it a week and i'll whip something up

15. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Good deal, guys.... let's go with, say, the 30th at 11:59 PM... Pacific time.
    Hopefully this gets us all some time... maybe even a sticky, please? That'd be killer.

Anyone who'd like to step up with some lovely parting gifts would be appreciated greatly.... if needed, I'll throw in a shirt again, too.

To keep this fair, anyone have anything against letting the early birds tweak their entries if desired? I mean, we're extending it all, just trying to be as fair as possible, and keep this just the way it should be: FUN.

Sharpen your pencils, grab your stylus (oh, no people...no...), brushes, whatever.... and make something cool!

Thanks again.

16. CQQLSPENCER

CQQLSPENCER
    from Monroe, IA

Well here is mine it's 49 Ford custom in trainging. The idea is doing the custom and still driving it. I'm going and try to get it colored but here is the pincile scratches.:D

Attached Files:

17. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Fender Skirts on the 39!

Attached Files:

18. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

39 on a Desert Isle!

Attached Files:

19. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Fortypickup, cool stuff! (and on a desert isle, no less!)
    ...still pondering using conch shells for Appletons on a "Harry Westergard stranded in the south Pacific tail-dragger" idea.

In any event, any hope for a sticky on this? Would be most appreciated....

Thanks for the PM's and hard work so far, guys!

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

my submission, not sure if it counts, but i had fun doing it regardless:

nothing is more regional than a ute....

1934 Ford Ute, this would be a full on race/show car
    bored 312 y-block
    e-code dual quad intake
    dual Paxton-McCulloch superchargers
    chopped top
    shortened box

open the window in full for best resolution

Attached Files:

21. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Hell yeah that counts! VERY cool indeed....

22. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

[​IMG]
    59 chevy parkwood, sierra gold, shaved, nosed, decked, chopped and dropped. lancer caps with painted centers, bo huff inspired exhaust. done in paint, pic from ebay. the thing is im not sure what coast it would be considered, im thinkin west.

23. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

As long as you don't mind different medium, here's mine.

[​IMG]

As far as drawing goes, my ability is limited to straight lines with rulers and circles with a compass.
    I am not an artist! I'm a model builder; I work in styrene.

Deano

24. Welcome to Pasadena style....circa 1940...My entry is not so much a regional style, but a 'What If' style...What if the car-loving son of a successful Pasadena, California Ford dealer decided to build a custom based upon the influences of the coachbuilt cars that surrounded the Pasadena area in the 1920's-30's, and what if he talked his Pops into helping out with the detail$ as a promotional piece for the dealership?...It might look something like this, The Pasadena Rose...I hope you like it, I sure had fun working on it!

All the best-W.S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. ChevyII

ChevyII

That's a cool UTE ynottayblock...... What program did you use for coloring? the Chrome Details look great.

26. ChevyII

ChevyII

Ok another Original....
    [​IMG]
    Try to Catch This Pot O' Gold :D

27. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

28. Well, here's my entry. I call it "OUCH!"

[​IMG]

I call it "OUCH" because that's the least of what I said when I found it laying under a puddle of coffee
    on my dining room table; as a result i fell a bit behind. I've redrawn it and added it to this post.
    I hope to have it colored and completed by noon (or at least by todays cut off.) Below re the stats...

So wha-da-ya think? what category does this hull fall under? I figured a mild Wichita type.
    Maybe Bill Cushenbery had a hand on it just before or shortly after the move to California?

[​IMG]

Started out with a '54 Merc, put either a chopped '57 Buick or a '58 Impala roof on, extended the
    rear quarters and added 2 pair of 'spliced '56 Packard Patrissian tail lights out back along with cleaverly
    modified 54 Olds grille garnishes as rear bumperettes with exhaust exits. Up front a '55 Olds grille bar
    floats in front of a modified Buck grille, flanked by hooded '49 Studebacker headlight assemblies.
    Then there's the integrated fender skirts on a mildly sectioned body side. (forgive my spelling)

29. This is My second entry. It had met the same fate as the first. I've redrawn it as well
    and hope to have it colored, if not today then by the Friday art show. I've put a spin
    on things and am asking for your opinions on which style it meets best...
    Upon further thought, I'd probably put both cars in the "Valley Customs " category
    tho, with a more severe drop in the rear of the first car,
    it could qualify as an "East Coaster."

[​IMG]