Register now to get rid of these ads!

microfibre cloths can scratch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 972toolmaker, Apr 28, 2008.

1. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

Polished out all scratches and orangepeel with wool bonnet and Maaguires produsts. Paint was slick and awesome. Used new Microfibre polishing cloths and tech wax . the microfibre cloths scracthed both my car and another club members Charger. What kind of results are other members having? I will go back to terry and old t shirts. 100% cotton again.

2. imperial

imperial

I used the microfibre to just wipe of my mirror polish airstream.
    SCRACTHED.
    only real lamdswool pads for me

3. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

4. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Micro fiber suck ass...and they are expensive. The first polish I did on my coupe a micro fiber i was using had picked up a smal piece of something and when I went to wipe the cowl down...WHAM!!!! one long ass scratch in my perfectly polished paint....Baby diapers work the best! Stick with those.

5. Yep, microfibre scratched my new paint too. I'll never use it again.

6. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

That's funny. Not really but sort of.

A co-worker was asking me Sat. why I always use my white colored microfibre cloths on the final polish.

I showed him how the blue microfiber cloths would leave small scratches and the white ones don't. This was on a black truck so it was really easy to see.

I remember a few years ago Snap On wanted 60 dollars each. Mine sure didn't cost that much but I'll be darned if I remember where I got them.

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i have a detail shop,,,and yes,,they can leave scratches,,,washing them a bunch of times seems to help a bit,,,but the softest are still diapers,,,,,one of the problems with the microfiber towels is that they hold embedded dirt particles because they are so fine, if you drop it on the ground, you might as well toss it in the trash,,,

8. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

yup scratched my harley,very fine but it still sucked.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, very interesting. Dad and I both got our cars painted the same winter, 04/05. He uses terry, I use microfiber. He has swirly scratchs, I have none. I do wash mine and hang to dry often and if one hits the ground it is not used till washed. Maybe the wax job helps.

10. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

makes me glad i dont have shiny paint:D

11. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

It sure does!!!!
    Sorry,i had to...:)

12. Weasel

Weasel

Hey 972Toolmaker

Thanks for this thread - I have been saying this for a while now. Got spider webs all over my paint and superdetailer Jason, who spent 500 hours detailing the Ferrambo for the Ridler, confirmed it to me. I've got blue ones, grey ones and white ones which are now for household use only. I only use diapers or the fleece side of high cotton content sweatshirts plus lambswool polishing bonnets and terry cloths on my car. I use Prolong Waterless Wash and have done for 10 years - the best I have ever tried and I have tried most of them.

Microfiber sucks and funnily enough the first one I got was given to me to try by Mothers about eight years ago! I get my diaper cloths and terry towels at Target.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Get that banana outta your ear bud...I said WAX:p:D

14. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

+ 1 on the diapers.

there is usually a "rag guy" at the swapmeets that I hit every couple of years that carries a bunch of them, worth every penny.

15. Weasel

Weasel

Hey 972Toolmaker

Thanks for this thread - I have been saying this for a while now. Got spider webs all over my paint and superdetailer Jason, who spent 500 hours detailing the Ferrambo for the Ridler, confirmed it to me. I've got blue ones, grey ones and white ones which are now for household use only. I now only use diapers or the fleece side of high cotton content sweatshirts plus lambswool polishing bonnets and terry cloths on my car. I use Prolong Waterless Wash and have done for 10 years - the best I have ever tried and I have tried most of them.

Microfiber sucks - the first one I got was given to me to try by Mothers about eight years ago! I get my diaper cloths and terry towels at Target.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Oops - sorry about repeating myself, repeating myself - dial up sucks when it bombs out without warning. Note to self - feed hamster in treadmill before it faints.

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My 32' is black and I used microfibre along with Adams products. After 6 years, no complaints. I also buy my towels from Adams.

18. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

My car looked great in home garage. Fine outside in sun also. Under high intenisity lights in the hall for indoor car show The scratches flat embarassed me. The main reason I started this thread is to check if I was right about the Micro fibre clothes. More people reported problems than praised M.F. NUFF said.

19. ray

ray
    from colorado

i don't think the problem is microfiber cloths in general, it's the brand you are using, or they are not clean and it's really dust scratching your paint.

20. I bought a stack of soft, orange colored small towels touted as good for drying paint after washing the car as well as wax removal.
    Haven't tried em yet.

I've been doing ok on my black acrylic paint using cheese cloth to apply wax and the woven tube looking stuff you cut to length.
    Both of these items obtained at Kragens etc.

Lately I've been using the tube stuff for applying wax as well.

Still using my old USA made 100% cotton towels to dry the water off.

I've tried some other so-called 100% cotton towels - made in China I think - and they're not very absorbent.

21. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I've never had a problem with them when used properly, like stated above when they touch the ground they are done. I always use a fresh one and never use the same one twice unless it has been washed, when you use them over and over or let them sit on a shelf they collect dust. Also I use only the 3M brand so maybe that might have something to do with it.

22. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Brand new micro fiber cloths will scratch polished magnesium and aluminum too as well as paint. I don't have base coat clear coat though. Does it scratch clear?