Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Ford f1 cruiser - dropped f-1 axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupehunter, Nov 23, 2007.

1. coupehunter

coupehunter

Hello all, just needing a little help if possible. I have my 48 ford F-1 pickup all stripped down and am ready to start making decisions on the front suspension. I have made up my mind that I am going with the original style i-beam axle suspention, but need to drop her down about 4 - 5 inches. There are folks out there that make a new dropped axle, but I was wondering if any of you knew someone who could drop my original axle?? Air bags and mustang 2 aren't for me!!

Thanks for the help!

2. Brian W

Brian W

Contact Elpolacko here on the HAMB, They drop axles at his shop Industrial Chassis.

3. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

ElPolacko is the man to talk to. Heres a pic of axle dropping action!
    [​IMG]

4. coupehunter

coupehunter

Hey, that looks like the ticket. When I tell alot of folks that I am going to have my original axle dropped they give me the skunk-eye, as if I am crazy. From what I understand they are pretty safe right.....everything being relative that is!?

5. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I'm putting my 48 F-1's axle on top the springs and also having the eyes reversed. It should drop my truck about 5-6 inches easily, then you can block it more if you want. Only problem I hve encountered so far is I have to C notch my fram, no biggie.

6. coupehunter

coupehunter

I like the sound of that!! Keeps the axle as is, but gets the nose down where I need it! Thanks for the help!

7. coupehunter

coupehunter

I am pretty excited about the old gal, it has been in my family since new and was forgotten behind a barn for a long time till I drug it home. I hope to keep the patina and did a little 3 minute "very rough" photoshop of what I hope it will look like!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Just saw one @ the swap meet today.complete w/ 4 inch drop..$275

9. TERPU

TERPU

Never block the front axle. The twist from steering will eventually break something. I have a 3" drop from CCP under my F-1 with 15" wheels and 225/70-15's on the front and it dropped it 5" over stock maybe 6" without touching the springs. It handles like a dream and runs all day long at 70+ mph. But the only thing I would do different is to have El-polacko drop my factory one, just because a drilled I-beam is totally bitchin'. You have a great start to a totally bitchin' truck there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here it is with 6:70-15's on the front and 8:20-15's on the rear. WWW tires not the look I love but some dug it.

Tim

10. 52 Pickup

52 Pickup
    from Oakley, CA

I saw new leaf springs in the Speedway catalog that they claim will lower an F1 3 inches. All four were around $600.00. Doing it that way would eliminate the tie-rod drops required with a dropped axle. Down side is less suspension travel though. Hope this hepls some.

11. coupehunter

coupehunter

You guys have been a great help! This is my first request for help on this site, and wow have I been impressed! A drilled dropped stock axle does sound nice!

12. mikesfordf1

mikesfordf1
    from ct

I Bought a brand new dropped axle off ebay a few years ago for $230 for my old 52 f-1. Was really please with it. But there are a few mods you have to do with any dropped axle you install in a f-1

13. I just purchased a 3" Dropped Axle for my 51F1. Can you please tell me exactly what modifications I will have to do to get it installed and working properly.

14. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Seattle Steve ran one for years, I think it was from speedway. Dropping the springs 3 inches would put the axle against the frame so whoever is selling that idea is blowing smoke.
    And remember the dropped stock axle becomes narrower so you have to shorten the tierod and adjust wheel back spacing too. Not a big deal but something you have to deal with.