Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint or Powdercoat Carb Bases???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Apr 25, 2008.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'm about to get my 94's rebuilt, already had them vibratory polished by Warbozz I guess before he went MIA?

Anyway, I want the bases to match my motor, black. Should I just paint them with engine paint or wait and powedercoat them? I'm also thinking about the Almost Chrome PC, has anyone had good luck with that?

Here's the suspects...

[​IMG]

2. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

well i used duplicolor 500+ engine paint last year on my 94 bases. after a summer of driving the gas ate it right up. i guess it would be ok if you had some non leaker 94s, which dont exist i think.lol

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's what I used to paint my engine, man that stuff lays good! I was thinking the same thing that you did, but I want it black this time next year.

Wonder if gas will eat up powdercoating?

4. Hammer Time

Hammer Time
    from Beach Side

Defiantly go the powder coat route. Gas wont mess with it like paint.
    Gary

5. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

my intake is powdercoated, no problems at all.

6. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Honestly, I wouldn't do either one.

if you want them black, and not risk peeling, chipping, the possibility of itty bitty peices of Ceramic wearing down the brass shafts (happens way faster than you would think, I would use the Eastwood boltblack kit-it's similar to chrome plating, just without the chrome.
    http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...UCT&iMainCat=400&iSubCat=407&iProductID=12225

works well. looks "right", too.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Anyone used that almost chrome on anything??

8. Hammer Time

Hammer Time
    from Beach Side

That is one of the few I haven't used. Here lies the problem though. In order to do a silver that will last in powder you need to powder clear coat it. Plus you have to put a lot more silver on in order to get coverage. I think that would be a problem for toughness. Now the "chrome like" powder might also do a base cover first because the silver is so fine. That would add even more thickness.
    Gary

9. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I used Rust-Oleum Hammered finish paint on my strombergs and they look really nice. I have used both the black and the copper or bronze on my carb bases and like them both. So far so good as far as wear, and the hammered look is cool IMHO and tougher than hell.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've done both with fine results. I used wrinkle powder coat on one set. I liked the look. Some people like everything smooth and shiny. I like a little contrast and texture. I also like carbs to look like carbs. Sometimes over detailing with glass smooth painted bodies can make them look phony to my eye. Fine for a Roth style show cars of the 60s but not my style of performance applications. Just different strokes...

11. buddy at work painted his wheels on his pickup the chrome powder, came out ok but who ever did it didnt get a good enough coat and rust is popn out in the seems now. the paint it self shouldnt need a clear. we do it all the time to try and preserve the color but then you face the problem of the clear getting nasty. the idea of p/c will last longer but if for any reason go bad, and you have 2 coats of paint on the time spent in the blaster will suck. personlly i would go with the paint and feel assured if anything happens to it youve got an easy couple hour project and will come out as good as the first time..... i p/c and would still go with the alternative, unless you could get it chromed. which would be the best way to go.