Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mooneyes Show in Japan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Apr 13, 2008.

1. McKee

McKee

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

huh?

There's a Mooneyes outdoor show in about 12 days.....not that anyone's counting! ;)

3. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Cool! Got a link??????

Check my post history for about 6 GREAT threadsWITH Pix! :D

Had a BALL, and TONS of great guys came over for it!

4. I visited the Mooneyes store this morning. We spoke with one of the staff there for a long while, he said that they expect over 700 vehicles there, of all kinds.. I regret that I will be returning back to the States THIS weekend.. Mark, I hope you get as great pics this show as the past winter show...

Suganuma-sensei was there as we were leaving.. was fun talking with him..

5. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Yeah, I went. Go to www.photobucket.com and search for hemidave and hemidavid one of them has the pics. There were about 428 bike pics, too but I took 'em out because the guys over at the jockey journel don't like my pics...all they ever do is criticize.... So I only show those to another board...they REALLY like 'em and appreciate the trouble!!!:D

Hey Mark! See ya at the show on 4-27!!:cool:

Dave

6. So I'm confused. Imfatdad said he visited today and expected 700 cars and Hemi Dave says 10 mins later he went. Is it over or not? And what is on the 27th? I just moved to Japan and I'd love to get the low down on the hot rod scene here.

7. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

The Mooneyes show for 2008 Spring is on 4/27 in Yokohama near the big Ferris wheel. Odiba is the area. Do a search for Mooneyes.jp and you can get more details.

See ya there!! I'll be that foreign looking guy!

Dave

8. Comet,

27th, gonna miss ya.. Hope your getting moved in and settled OK.. We WILL get back together in the future..

I also stumbled across a hot rod MiniCooper shop in Yokohama today.. Fella had a small museum in the lower floor, a couple of Lotus's, a later model Anglia, and another Brit car that we could not ID.. Was a neat little shp for sure.

9. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Just around the corner!
    ....and there's a autosound shop a few doors down with a Chevy stationwagon with weeds growing all around it!:eek: Cool Area!

10. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Gonna try the T shirt again?????????:eek:

See ya there!:D

11. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Mooneyes have TWO main shows:

Winter indoor at Yokohama (last December and all the big shots flew over for it!)

Spring outdoor at Odaiba (behind Fuji TV)

We BETTER see you there!!!! ;)

12. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Mark, I hope you get as great pics this show as the past winter show...

Naturally, buddy! ;)

I just wish Kirk could send The Fonz over......there'll be a LOT of work there for him!:eek:

13. Me either, please post a link.

14. Thanks guys! I have a better chance of being there with better planning. I'll be the other foreign guy there. And being a Sunday helps too.

15. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

16. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

My friend visited some Japanese car show and told me that he was surprised of that how much there was swastika-details in cars and motorcycles... :eek:

17. Swastika-details... I really have not seen too much of that. Surfer's crosses, more so in my experience. Both to me would relate to what "they think" a rebel, or an innovator would have on his car to set it off from the pack. My thoughts... This society as a whole is still very conservative and many try with all due efforts to set themselves apart as an individual.. Hence an American Hot Rod, or any kind of custom detail to apply to whatever kind of object they have.

18. evilgenius

evilgenius

it should be noted that swastikas in asian culture is rooted in buddhism. not sure if that's the motivation behind it, but i seriously doubt they're trying to promote the aryan nation.

19. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Dang straight!!!:cool: I'm also gonna try to find one of those big Rat Fink banks like coolstuff got. Either the regular color one or glow in the dark!

I'll have more guys I know there this year...more Mopar guys...and they ALL owe me!!:D Should be no prob.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/HemiDavid/

That's the linky to pbucket! :eek: Just look to the left and click on an album...hope you have about 2 hours to burn...:p

When you are done with that, search for HemiDave and you can see the Boise Rod and Custom Show...I get around!:rolleyes:

Dave

20. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

The main bike featuring Swastikas at the Yokohama show was on a bike brought over from the USA by the dude from the "Pray For Me (Jason Jesse)" movie!

And a few weeks ago, at a Tokyo biker bar, they were all breaking my balls to explain why all these guys in an American biker dvd had swastikas on there hats/bandanas.......I gave them my best guess that it was yet another modern iteration of "fuck you all".

And in Japan, Swastikas on a map signify temples......are they ignorant of the distastefulness this brings to Westerners??????
    Do they give a shit??????? Nooooooooo

21. orphaneddie

orphaneddie

Girlfriend went to the show.. she was vending.. said it was a blast. I was pissed I couldnt go!

22. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Mooneyes Odaiba OUTDOOR tomorrow!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

23. Look closely at the Japanese "swastikas." The temple identifiers are actually backwards swastikas. Hitler turned it around, his are two "S's", the Japanese are two "Z's" I will look tomorrow at the Moon Eyes show to see which way they face just because this fascinates me. Even if it's the German version, I can assure you in Japan it's more of a rebel thing than any Aryan message they are trying to convey.

24. striper

striper

Mark, sorry, but I think it is you who is ignorant to the real meaning and history of the swastika. It might pay to do a search on google and see that the 20th century hijacking of the emblem by the Nazis is a blasphemy in itself.

While we do see the swastika as a symbol of evil in the western world, you know, it's not always all about us. How about you showing some respect for their culture while you are in their country.

Pete

Pete

25. Striper, I kinda think you may have misunderstood Comets' comments...

-- edited--.

Correction, I meant Mark's comments...

26. Hammer Time

Hammer Time
    from Beach Side

27. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Ummm,

A Finnish dude was concerned that his friend told him about a whole bunch of swastika symbolism in Japan.

I pointed out that the main people displaying it were the rebelious US visitors.

I went further to point out the historic link to the Japanese culture.

Then I pointed out that the Nazi use (misuse) of the symbol is well known to most Japanese (are they ignorant to it???? Nooooooo), just that in THEIR world view and millenia old cultural perspective, a brief misuse of one of their symbols and the modern connotations of it could not concern them any less.

So what exactly was your point?

28. striper

striper

:eek: Apologies. In my reading of your post I interpreted your meaning being that the Japanese should "give a shit" about our aversion to the symbol.

It took me a couple of re-reads to understand your actual meaning. I am very glad that you are not one of the uneducated masses.

Cheers,

Pete

29. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

hey Mark.. any upcoming shows in Japan this year to look out for?

i spend alot of time there and ill be there in a month or so.. trying to see if anything is popping

30. VenomousType, as I type this, 9PM Central time, 11Am Sunday in Japan, mark is probably walking about at the biggest show of the year there in Tokyo. If precedent holds, he will post pics, as well probably Comet and HemiDave who also reside full time in Japan. I am a reoccurring visitor too for now, I should be there fairly permanently in a couple of months. Mooneyes has a winter show, indoors event in November I believe. There are of course more featured shows throughout the year, Toyota Crown shows are always good. Of course Bike shows as well.. Mooneyes website is pretty good for info for shows, link posted above.