Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Chaparral 2E Sounds Off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

I cannot wait for "Can Am - The Speed Odyssey" to come out. I've got it pre-ordered.

If that preview does not make you feel something, then you've got issues.

2. Chuck R

Chuck R

3. TRuss

TRuss

Thanks for telling us about the Speed Odyesssey video. I was not aware of it. I will have to buy it. Especially with naration by Sam Posey. I've always loved it when SPEED has got Sam to do naration for the opening of the telecast of a big road race. He used to do it for all of the F1 races several years ago. It made getting up early worth it. He's a great story teller.

4. Rat L. Can

Rat L. Can
    from Indy

Ahhh, the sweet sounds of my youth. I grew up at the track back then and Can-Am and F5000 cars are still ringing in my ears to this day. Staggeringly quick cars even by today's standards. If you ever get a chance to see them at the Elkhart/Redman weekend, don't miss 'em!

5. SimonSez

SimonSez

Co-incidentally, that's the same way that another Can-Am great, Denny Hulme died (quoted from his Wikipedia page) ...

"In the 1992 event he was sharing a Benson & Hedges-sponsored BMW M3 with Paul Morris. After complaining of blurred vision Hulme suffered a massive heart attack at the wheel whilst travelling part the way down the 200-mph Conrod Straight. After veering into the wall on the left side of the track, he managed to bring the car to a relatively controlled stop sliding against the safety railing and concrete wall. When marshals reached the scene they found Hulme still strapped in, dead."

6. oktunes

oktunes
    from Kentucky

Ran across this old thread by accident. Just to clarify some wrong info posted here, Hap Sharp was diagnosed with cancer in 93 and committed suicide. It would be great if he had died at the wheel, but that's not what happened to him. He was a valuable partner to Jim Hall. In my opinion I still think the 2E is still the single most revolutionary race car ever designed and probably one of the most beautiful.

7. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

In the late 70's a guy offered me a pick of 2 can am cars for 10k, both had Fuel injected Alum chevy V8's. I was in my 20's and had a young family so 10k was like a million but it still makes me sick to think about it.

8. dang....Ryan's like's a 2E....how cool is that.....and just saw this thread...

9. RamJet1

RamJet1

Still my favorite racing series of all time.