Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 tranny mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mink, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mink

mink
    from CT

What tranny mount should i get to mount my t-5 in the 32 project. Will the stock camaro 86 member fit right in with out problems?? I dont have any mount so far

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Use the older 2 bolt mount not the single stud or bolt mount.

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

What years was the two bolt mount used. I have the single bolt mount but don't like the looks of it, would much rather have the one with two bolts. As a side note: if you use the single bolt mount keep in mind it's not centered so take a long look at the trans case to make sure it's oriented correctly.

4. Cornerfreak

Cornerfreak

Pickup a trans bushing and make the mount yourself. It's fairly straight forward unless you plan on running a k member or something along those lines.

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I think I'd rather have something off the shelf so I could walk into any NAPA and buy one if I'm on the road.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I used the single stud mount on my 34.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

the camaro mount/ crossmember tilts the thing 15*, you want it to point strait up, use a truck mount. I used the s10 type on mine, and on a 700r4 in a once 5 speed s10. No problems.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

2 bolt trans mt. Parts Master #2378

9. mink

mink
    from CT

Which way does the camaro mount tilt the trany 15degrees. So i need to find a 1986 of so s10 tranny mount. Is it the trans bushing that makes its tilt or is it the mount.

If i am to buy just the trans bushing and make the mount, should i buy a Camaro or an s10 trans bushing ?

10. jerry

jerry

The tailshaft has the mounting surface at 15* I used a piece of square tube to make an adapter to fit between the mount and the tailshaft and used the 2 bolt bushing. Easier if you can use the S-10 ailshaft as it has the mount parallel to the ground, also moves the shifter forward.

jerry

11. mink

mink
    from CT

I can't visualize this, is there any text or pictures that would help me better understand this

12. jerry

jerry

the adapter is just a Vee shaped piece of material to go between the tailshaft and mount.

Mount the trans to the motor in the car with the crossmember in place. Mount the mount to the trans. Fill the space left between the mount and the crossmember.

I used a piece of square tubing cut and welded to fit.

jerry

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Here's a pic of a Camaro T5 (I think it's a V6 bellhousing) - you can clearly see the transmission is rotated 15-20* toward the driver - this was done for space underneath the car. What I don't have a picture of is the trans mount - If you can imagine it being parallel with the bottom of the car, or the ground, you'll understand how it's "tilted".

You can fabricate a simple wedge adapter so that when the trans is mounted straight up, the bottom of the mount via the wedge adapter, is parallel with the bottom of the car.

You can use either the two hole or the single hole mount. I'm not sure if the Ford mount will bolt to the Chevy T5 to be honest, but if it would, the same basic mount was used on most all Mustangs...

Attached Files:

14. Great you gave Jerry a reason to say mount, his poor sheep:eek:

Jerry if you use the S10 (do i dare say it) mount what about changing the bell housing? If you use the S10 bell housing on the Camaro T5 will the tail of the Camaro T5 be strightened out?

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

The camaro tail is machined to match, if you point it up where it belongs with a different bell, the mount will not be parallel. I imagine you'd want the s10 tail regardless, so the shifter isn't in the back seat.

16. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

I am using a S-10 t-5 in my Model A and used the stock mount and I think it worked O.K. Are you guys saying you don't like the singlr bolt because of the strength or looks? here is mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jerry

jerry

The bell housing is what gives the camaro t-5 tilt, if you use a standard bell housing you need to adapt for the angle of the mount. You can use the camaro t-5 bell housing and the mount will be flat to the ground,but the trans itself will be at the 15* angle.

jerry

18. bluestang67

bluestang67

This is the mount i made to get the T-5 behind a 302 . That tilt had me staring for a while till i found out its right .

Attached Files:

19. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

the camaro trans with the tilt will also add some more room for the gas pedal.

Attached Files: