Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pomona Swap Meet today-your views & observations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Guess I musta been at a different swap meet - I actually was in "Pomona" (not "Pamona").
    Here's a short list of some of the more decent vehicles available today, including the asking prices. I know, not all the cars are "cheap", but then again, did you check the price of gas lately? It's not 59 cents a gallon anymore, either!
    1) "The Green Manalishi" 64 Falcon Gasser nice! $20K
    2) '56 Chevy Gasser "Casual's - We're only here for the beer!" superbly patinated original - $20K
    3) 62 Plymouth Fury D/SA 1/4-mile car, big block-torqueflite $14,9K
    4) '64 Corvette Roadster, red, both tops, decent original, $27K
    5) '65 Mustang Coupe, 72k miles, A code, 4-speed, close to mint, sold for $11,5K
    6) 1969 Porsche 912, super nice, sold for $12,5K
    7) 1960 Thunderbird, white/red, 38k miles, best original I've ever seen, asking $17K
    8) 1956 VW Oval window Bug, blue, very nice, $8K
    9) 1959 Chevy Fleetside pickup, 350/700R4 etc, nice, all new chrome, new wood for bed, $5K obo
    And the list goes on . . .
    I bought just 2 cars and thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the nice model As, Miller's Deuce, a bitchin' 27 Chevy Coupe, a super straight 46 Lincoln Continental, owned since 1958, with Olds Rocket power plus the orig. V12 for $11K obo etc etc . . .
    I really shouldn't be posting this - more HAMBers may show up next time and make it harder for me to latch on to some of the deals . . .

2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I've been going to the Pomona swap for 25 years and it isn't what it used to be.

3. bil

bil
    from Vermont

I was there today,I time my work on the west coast to get in Pomona and at least one car show.I agree it isn't what it used to be 20 years ago-but what is?? E-bay has gotten people to expect ridiculas prices,there are more guys into old cars,more categories of cars,the best stuff has mostly been bought or stashed years ago,and all of the 'reallity' tv shows have gotten folks to think their 4 door Dart is a $10,000 muscle car.That said,there are plenty of cars and parts there if you look carefully,are willing to spend some money,and wait for what you want.It is also just a great place to hang out,see what others are building in a non-show atmosphere,and still head home by noon.It is certainly still a great stop for anyone visiting from the rust zone,I would recomend it. ---bil

4. BadLuck

BadLuck

If you have never been, its worth checking out...
    Us local guys just remember how it use to be, so we're a little spoiled! My dad use to take me when I was a kid...now I take my kids.... All in all, I still have fun when I go, and there IS some neat stuff to see...but there is a lot of things there that shouldnt be at the swapmeet!:)

5. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

I haven't been in 15 years, and I won't be going.

6. I took a couple of project cars to sell, and got NO action at all.

Not really surprising, I guess. I have had shitty luck selling cars there for years. I did buy a nice 54 Ford pickup project, and a few parts, some shop supplies, etc. Last Pomona was a little better, as far as deals went.

Some guys think that just because it is a swap meet, everything should be a buck or 2..If you get a good deal, you are lucky, if you cannot find it at Pomona, or other swaps, then I guess Ebay or HAMB is a place to look.

For the guys that have never been, you should go, but in the spring. Those shows are bigger. And to those that don't think its worth it, well, if you don't go, you will definitely never find your part there. Kind of like the lotto..if you do not play, you cannot win.

To me its worth the few bucks and the time to see what comes up.
    And with people starting to run out of extra cash, I think the swaps are going to get alot better.

7. BadLuck

BadLuck

15K! :eek:...now you see what everybodys talking about...

8. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

nothing is like it was 25 years ago.....

but Pomona is still BIG , still the real thing
    2000 spaces or so , 1000 plus cars for sale

and too many times a year,

But of course the good cheap stuff was sold years ago, sometimes you find one guy with decent priced stuff all at one place , but now you have to hunt harder ,

But thats every swap meet worldwide the last few years....

I will still be there everytime even if they turned half the parking lot into an off-road track,

Beaulieu

9. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'm right there with you. I went to my first on in 1985 (or so) and now take my three year old son when I get a chance. I have even drug my 17 year old daughter along on occasion.

I do agree it has changed. We used to save our $ because the dollar went farther at "Pomona". Now it is rare that I buy anything there....seems like I just go to get away from the shop.

In all reality, I will continue to make it when I can and will do so till the end (the swap or mine). I hope one of my kids takes his/her kids there someday. They will need to find parts for the cars Dad left behind for them.:D

10. I've been finding that most of the time Ebay is cheaper than what these guys ask for Parts at these shows. These old guys that cant remember their own name think that grille guard or manifold they got is damn auto parts of christ.

I feel dirty in the end because I give in and buy the shit just because its there, tempting and I dont have to pay the shipping at least.

Maybe if you DONT have internet this stuff is cheap.

11. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Its the place to go if you want bellybutton Cheby parts. About 75% Cheby stuff and the same dam people same dam rows etc.. everytime, gets old fast.

12. i burned out on pomona for awhile......too many drunken nights with loud crappy music (while i'm trying to sleep in the back of the panel) and too many STUPID wagons that people pull behind them (it's like an obstacle course trying to walk down some isles). for me it the big 3, la roadster and turlock.

13. BadLuck

BadLuck

I observed your purple elco cruisin down the aisle! Someone said you sold it, so I didnt go up to say hi...did you sell it?

14. With those prices I can see why the ones that sold were going OS.......insanely cheap compared to here! My C-code '66 mustang (a daily driver) is valued over $20k....and it's NOWHERE near "close to mint".

15. early model

early model
    from Australia

Was there in June last year.My friends bought 3 cars.Decent 57 Chev 4 door $9,000,67 El Camino $3,400 good car now his daily,67 Impala $8,000.This is U.S $$All are worth around $20,000 Aust.We asked the guy selling the Impala how much he drove it and if it was reliable.He said he drove it 60 miles to sell at Pomona.Before we had it sent home we covered approx 3,500 miles in it.No stereo no air.4 Aussies,Grand Canyan,Vegas,Phoenix,Toombstone,Mexico & more.We literally drove the tyres off of it(a couple started to peel tread off)Anyway we'll be back for Pomona this June 1st then driving to Texas,and back for Long Beach swap.For Aussies you're swap meets are like "sexy land":D

16. My good buddy, Chicken George wanted it, so we did some trading last month

17. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

i dont go to pomona anymore, just the long beach swap. maybe turlock every couple years. too much non-car related stuff at pomona.

18. aquaelvis

aquaelvis
    from N. Idaho

Amen, with the economy slowing and people not being able to use their homes as ATM's I think we will see a nice slow down in cars too. Fewer people buying, prices will take a slide. Many people will sell off their projects and that will bring prices down too. I think the weak dollar is holding it up right now, but that will become more stable. (as we pull the euro down too!)

Maybe things will go back to normal once people in this country stop trying to live like rockstars. We can only hope.

If you guys ever get a chance to hit up some of the WA state swaps, DO IT! I only got to Monroe, WA once whie I lived there but was amazed. Good prices and more pre-war cars than I have ever seen at a swap. (way more!)

19. kopis

kopis

What the! Did Louie fall asleep on the BIKE!!? Damn.:eek:

20. tooslow54

tooslow54

If you go up there thinking it's shit it'll be shit. I went and found exactly what I was looking for (54 radio delete plate and sun visors) within about 20 minutes of getting there. These were purchased for less than half what I found them on e-gay and still less than what I found them through here. Also walked around and found two different chrome guys that had some pretty damn good prices on bumpers that I'll probably be calling soon. Then walked the car section and got some "ideas" on other things.

So yeah, the "lost in the 50's" booth (and others) with the plastic nut sacks and fake drive in food trays are extremely lame, BUT I just ignored that and got what I needed.

21. Crankhole

Crankhole

I picked up a pair of Chevy script valve covers for $5. Although nothing fancy, I thought that was good deal. A near monthly swap isn't gonna be anything like the annual Father's day swap. Take it for what it is and be glad it takes place at all.

22. 53chevy

53chevy

Exactly! Found some good ol' US of A tools in great shape! (No not Craftmans, though I do use some of their stuff). Steering wheel for my 60 Pontiac, 56 license plates in great condition (Using the 60 sticker for YOM) and paid way less than I have ever seen both ebay, past sawpmeets, and the restorer sites.

Ken

23. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

The last time I went to pomona it looked like a made in china 99 cent store. I don't know what happened to good deals I guess E-BAY has that under control now.

24. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

I tried selling my 58 pontiac chieftain(2 door) on ebay, craigslist, the L.A. roadster show, here, and on pontiac forums. It was very reasonably priced for a running 1950's coupe. Took it to pomona once and now it is in Australia being loved by the guys in the Accelerators who made the pomona swap part of their vacation to so-cal.

25. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Wham-O,...... I agree.

It's not the best swap, but it's still cars and part's on a Sunday.
    I wounder how many people would complain if Pomona ceased to exists?

26. BadLuck

BadLuck

Nah...that photo was staged! (notice the balancing Tecate can on his head!)
    Loco Louie rules.....:)

27. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I totally agree with this. It's sillly to say it's all chiwanese junk, since there are soo many vendors. Skip the ones with the sillly hats and microphones if that's not your thing. I found some older guys that gave me a lot of free advice that made it well worth the cost of admission, and the $150 or so I left there.

The cars are overpriced to us local southern californians. That's the way it works, just expect it and you won't be disappointed. I don't shop for a car there for just that reason, people want way too much for their crap hoping they'll snag an offshore buyer who thinks its reasonable(no offense to anybody, but that's the way it is)

Buy some BBQ. Get an overpriced soda. Have some fun. It's kinda like a car-carnival if you ask me, I had a great time when I wnet a few months ago, much better than the last 3 or 4 LB swapmeets I went to.

It really is just how you look at it. You're gonna get more 'rust parts' at Pomona than you will at LB, that's why I like it. LB always seems like you can get better deals cuz less people though. Just harder to find *exactly* what you want.

Basically half of what Pomona is to me is like shopping online except without having to pay for shipping. Its got your ebay action, and your catalog store places except you get to talk to a real person and your package arrives much faster. I love it,but to each his own.

When I first went back in '96 I saw a custom La Salle street rod I'd seen before in a rodder magazine and it was like meeting a celebrity.

That car would probably make me puke now but it'd still be cool to see it ! :D

28. kopis

kopis

Oh man. I totally missed the tecate. haha. NICE!

29. pepeford50

pepeford50

hahaha that pic is funny ,goodtimes with u guys , hey outlaw did u ever figure out what was up with the carb???

30. BadLuck

BadLuck

I think the float is getting stuck, cuz it ran fine in the morning, then when we took off I kind of punched it..:D...right after that, I started having the problems ...Im having a buddy go through the carb and check it out...was a bitch getting it home! Thanks for hangin out to help...see ya next time...:)