Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car show Judging

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yankbuilt, Apr 20, 2008.

1. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Ok,I've read all the threads on trophies.I've heard the crying that my ride was nicer than his,weres my trophie?So I'm asking, is it better to do participant judging or should we the people putting on the show do the judging?If it was up to me to do the judging the new guy to the car scene would win.He is new to the great car scene and I want to show him that all of his hard work and money spent was well worth it.I know how I felt the first award I won.Felt like passing out, but in my head everything I did was well worth it.So?

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Judging is such bullshit! Ya go, ya have fun, ya meet folks, ya go home...

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

yup.

4. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

I also agree that judging sucks. Meet and greets, or shows without trophies are becoming the big thing.... Half of the people these car shows pick for judges do not know what to look for in a car they are judging anyway. The car show committee are just happy to have the volunteers. Basically, the people doing the judging are looking for the prettiest or there buddies car instead of looking at all the work that went into the car. If I had to choose between show judges and the general public, let the people pick the winners.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

5. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

There ya go.

I started having fun at car shows when I put a "Do not judge" sign on my car. It takes all the bullshit out.

6. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I know the going meeting new folks and talking cars.But,we are raising money for our church.Got to please the masses.I am so close to telling one guy not to come to our show because he is a trophie whore!He tells me ,nobody looked at my truck.I almost told him my mother could have done a nicer job!But being a nice asshole ,I didn't say anything.Plus my paster may have had a stroke!

7. Tony

Tony

Me too.
    And if the mASSES just HAVE to have trophies, give them to 5th and 7th place....keep's thing's in check.....:)

8. If you decide to put your car to be judged, your car MAY be judged inferior to another.

It only means that you, as a person, are inferior. You should take it personally.

9. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

If you dont want to get into a confrontation with people, just keep it friendly and let the public judge then.

10. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I've run a couple car shows and have done judging at a bunch. I gave it up after almost coming to blows with one assclown who said his car should have won.

If this is for a church, do just two or three overall throphies. Do one based on spectator choice, one chosen by your preacher (give him a couple "suggestions" to choose from if need be) and maybe a sponsor's choice. Then one "Best of show" based on judging if you really want to.

Keep it simple and have more fun.

11. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Doing a couple of trophies sounds good,I was thinking of doing more,but,then you run into to many other veriables.We are looking at around 150 cars though.If we do less then I can enjoy myself too.I went to a show the other day to hand out flyers and spent the first hour talking to some of the participants before even handing out the first flyer.Thats what it is all about.

12. Black Primer

Black Primer

I know someone who is a "trophy whore" he shows a newer Firebird, which I have no interest in at all. He actually is quite snobby when it comes to car shows and only goes where him and his "buddies" know they can win. After bragging to me about having no place to keep all his trophies,...I suggested maybe he should try building his own car once and see how he does. He didn't think much of that but thought maybe he should put some graphics on his car instead. What a douche-bag!

13. olskool53

olskool53
    from CT

Face it ,Judging is a popularity contest! Personally every show I've been to i put a "no judge" sign on the car! It means more to me to have another car guy say "Nice Car" than get a BS trophy!! IMHO!
    Why not just have some cool raffles and door prizes?

14. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

I like the " Do Not Judge" sign idea. I am going to do that this year...

15. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I was told to have a raffle for money.Put everybodys name in a hat and lucky man wins.I want to have a show just to pick the guys that deserve it.But the guys that deserve it, been there done that and don't care about no stinken trophie!Those are most of the guys I hang out with and listen to for there advice on car building.Gotta love the old timers.Like listening to grandpa tell one of his stories.Got to pee but you don't want to miss the end of the story.

16. teddyp

teddyp

if you must have trophy i found s sponsor,s choice is the best way to go that way you not saying one car is better then the other just that that sponsor likes it better most will ask someone to pick for them but the like being part of it

17. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I really don't like the participant judging. Our local "mainstreet" carshow each summer was done that way a few times. I won first place in my "catagory" over some cars that had more money in their paint than i have in the whole car. The local guys in the show all voted for me, the other cars had come quite a ways to be there and I was two blocks away from the trophy stand looking at cars when i heard my name called for first place in class. I was VERY embarassed to take that trophy in front of those other people whos cars were so much nicer than mine. I drive around the judging lines at the shows that do that judging where you sit in a line and get "inspected". One local show that had a lot of bullshit about judging just went to one "best of show", picked by the school principal, the rest of the participants get a shot at a couple 50/50 drawings, most guy like that, but some quit coming because there's no trophies. I agree about having just a few trophies at a church show, picked by kids, or the Pastor. Shows are much more fun without comprtition; we have a father/son pair here that will do huge burnouts when they leave in the middle of the trophy presentations if they don't win with their restored muscle cars. who needs that stuff?

18. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Do a 50/50 raffle, having pretty girls selling tickets. $1 each or an arm's length for $5. Pretty girls are the key to sucessful ticket sales. Yea.. I know.. its a church thing, so I said pretty rather then hot girls.

Give every one that brings a car a raffle ticket for a door prize. Ask some of the local merchants for some give aways for the door prizes. You'd be suprised what people will hand you just for asking.

19. olskool53

olskool53
    from CT

Even better......................raffle off Gas cards!

20. Putting on a car show is more involved than most people think..We put on an
    outdoor show once a year to benefit a Childrens Burn Center..have a limited space to display the cars..Usually have 250 entries.The worst thing is the guy that wants to display his ride but doesnt want to pay the $25.00 entry..says he
    doesnt care about trophys.thats O K but he is taking up valuable space that the guy that is willing to help Burn victims would otherwise be using.By not placing his car number (that you get upon registering)on his windshield,we have to assume that his is not registered.We have a judging sheet in every entry package and let participants judge each other..Still take 4-5 hours to tally votes..We give a small goody bag with each entry,feed every one lunch and
    still cant make every one happy...Always three or four in every crowd.just plain
    assholes..We would just as soon they stay home...Some people travel 250 miles(one way) at todays gas prices.and still too damn tight to donate the $25.00 to the Burn Children...Go figure!!!!!!!

21. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I appreciate all the input.I still have time to figure out what to do.I'm not the kind of guy that trys to make people happy.I do what I do,cause it makes me happy.I don't usually follow the path well worn.But,the folks from church don't know the car side.I had to sit quite for a year, till they seen I was a car guy.They are floored to think I wanted to start advertising our show 10 months in advance.I have over 50 people telling me there coming.Hell , the church was happy to have 3 car prereigstered last year.And we ended up with 65 cars.They have no idea whats going to happen this year.Lets just say ,I will be a saint!

22. gas cards seems like a great idea as mentioned , but as far as judged shows go if you dont like them dont go , or just hang the do not judge sign in the car , just go and have fun , if you get a trophy great , if you dont! dont worry about it have fun..

23. timmy t

timmy t

A car show sould be a social event. Doesnt everybody go to talk to buddies and people you only run into at shows, I know thats why I go, I could give a rats ass about thropies. Ive won a few but who cares ,it means more to me when someone pays you a complement about your car.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think the problem with things like this can be summed up in one word: SHOW. As soon as that word pops up, it changes people. The humble guy who normally wouldn't care, gets bent when he doesn't win anything. Then the "trophy whore" gets upset and swears he'll never come again. You get my drift? If you eliminate that word and just call it a charity event or cruise, the people will still come and the REAL car guys will still show up. You eliminate a lot of stress for yourself and the event gets remembered for the charity and not the damn trophys. Have the spectators choose 3 winners in each catagory and be done with it.

25. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

I really like that idea tfever! It takes the compition feeling away even though you are still being judged. Its funny how a few words change things.

26. redrico1

redrico1

yankbuilt do a 50/50 for a fund raiser.

27. Needs to be an award for Best Cry Baby Doll.

And another for Biggest Cry baby.

28. Weasel

Weasel

Give out trophies for worst paint, worst engine, worst whatever and worst in show - see how the trophy whores change their pissy little attitudes about trophies.

29. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

This is why I post this.To get ideas.Y'all rule.Next year no car show but cruise.And the worst paint and motor sounds good.Wait till my next post,I'm buildind a Model A p/u and need a old school color.But thats for another day.Thanks.Yankbuilt!

30. we did that one year , it was the worst POS to show award , the kid that got it was actually happy as a clam about it.. his truck was and still is a work in progress ..