Register now to get rid of these ads!

I want to buy a Model A frame at Carlisle... Any tips...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AssGasket, Apr 19, 2008.

1. AssGasket

AssGasket

I'm kinda new to this (First Build)...

Just wondering...

-Frames Crack... This I know. Where are the areas that I should pay attention to...???

-How much does a usable original frame go for...??? Are they still around $150, or did prices go through the roof on these things...???

-Carlisle veterans, am I going to have my pick of the litter, or am I going to walk around for 6 hours without seeing a single frame...????

Thanks in advance....

2. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I usually see Model A frames on the northern part of the fairgrounds just to the west of the hill. There is a guy there who hauls rusty bodies to Carlisle. He sometimes has frames.

Cracks areas are around crossmembers and just in front of the firewall.

3. fatabone

fatabone

Or you could go by Krugs and get the one in the field to the right before going up the hill.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

As a general rule ... HERSHEY has a better selection of Model A parts and pieces. :)

5. ownster

ownster

^ +1 to that.
    At Carlisle, it's so big it might take you a while to find any Model A parts. Definitely check out the sellers to the immediate left of the big hill where most of the cars are for sale.

6. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Take a tape measure with you and check the frame to try and determine if it is square.
    This is a little tuff because they flex so much, but try and look for one that is within 1/16 of an inch being square.
    Look at the front frame horns to make sure they are good, look at the front cross member to make sure the radiator holes, front spring hole is not eaten away with rust, try and get a frame that has not been cut-up........missing the cross brake shaft behind the center cross member, look at the rivets and around them to look for cracks/fractures. Look down the rails to make sure they are straight, make sure the rear cross member holes are not eaten away for the spring center bolt and attachment holes for the spring clamp, make really sure that neither cross member has any hair line cracks.............take a wire brush with you along with the tape measure.
    Here is a link showing some of the frame build, look at all 5/6 pages;

http://groups.msn.com/FordFlathead1932to1953/cobraschopped31av85window.msnw?Page=1

It depends on what you are going to do with the frame, I had my frame dipped and sand blasted before I started working on it...............

Attached Files:

7. AssGasket

AssGasket

"A Chopped Coupe", that's a pretty nice frame you have hiding under that fine-looking coupe...

JR, is that frame at Krugs straight, or is it rusted and bent to shit...???

8. gashog

gashog

I second that, not alot of Model A parts at Carlisle. The guy Model A Vette mentioned is around space NP70, right next to turnpike.

9. Look for cracks around the steering box holes. Most frames have some sag in them or are a little out of square. That can be fixed will a little work. Watch out for the side hit where it went off the road into a tree. Don't spend to much!

10. Clark

Clark

The frame at Krug's is gone...crushed.

You will have better luck finding a basket than you will a frame at Carlisle. Go on Thursday. The guy with all of the bodies has crazy prices!
    Clark

11. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I heard there is no Model A stuff allowed this year!!! So everyone should stay home. But don't worry I will go and make sure for you guys....LOL.... I need some "A" stuff my self. I was hoping this could keep down the competition.

12. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I assume that you're restoring a Model A. A Model A frame is fine, IMHO, if you're doing a restoration. But if you're building a hot rod, start out with new steel, and leave the abused metal work to the restorers. Either buy a new perimeter frame from one of the aftermarket suppiers , or if you're a good fabricator and welder, start from scratch with new 2" x 4" x .120" steel tubing (at $3.65 per foot!)

Front crossmembers are usually full of cracks. New reproductions for the restorers aren't the best , according to Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in OH, and it's better to restore a cracked original.

The aftermarket front crossmembers from Chassis Engineering are pretty good. I bought a new front crossmember from Shadow Rods in Saginaw, MI. Nice part (built to 1932 Ford specs) but one flange is .150" off. But a simple cut and reweld job. I'm using one of these on my latest Model a frame.

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am just looking for other stuff. I already have a good frame.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

A Chopped Coupe covered just about everything, if you see bolts and nuts or welds around any crossmembers someone has messed with it. I haven't priced an A frame lately but would think a useable unpitted one would start at $200.00.

15. gashog

gashog

I'll be bringing a couple of boxes of A and flathead parts with us. We're in the north field NI 25/26. LOL, don't expect to find any Ardun heads or sheetmetal, but there might be something you can use. Me and the wife just set up to make some money to cover the beer and clear some room for the junk we lug home. We usually walk in the morning but will be there after lunch and will be set up Saturday morning.

16. jhmagill

jhmagill

Well if he's the same guy I'm thinking about, you had better luck than I had with him. I was looking for 34 Chevy parts, he had some headlights that were marked "3 for $50". I could only find 2, when I asked about the 3rd one he said "That's not the right price, That's what I paid, the price is $150 for the pair"....... I'm still looking for headlights.

17. AssGasket

AssGasket

I stopped at Krugs and they told me about how the frame was gone... Said something about some "Clark" guy calling and asking about it... hahahha...

I found a frame for sale, but couldn't locate the people that owned it... There was a phone number there... I guess I should get over my fear of puncturing my scrotum and just carry a damn pen around in my pocket... Or maybe I shouldn't have smashed my cell phone....???

I found the complete front and rear setup to a '37 Ford... It had a lot of shit that I could use... Rear end, wishbone, radius rods, spindles... Even the wheels and tires... I passed on it for $250 and later found out that the guy right beside me bought it and re-sold most of it for $500....

So yeah, here's what I got at Carlisle...

Sunburnt...
    Pissed off....
    Sore ass from kicking myself in it...
    Half dehydrated because I paid $9 to get in, but they can't give me Carlisle tap water at the $3 soft pretzel place...
    Oh, and business cards from people that have ass-loads of overpriced A frames 150 miles from my house...

There's shitloads of these frames out there that no one really wants or needs...... I shouldn't have a problem finding a nice one for a good price around here.....

Yes, I could get steel (at cost) and make one myself..... I don't want to, though... That might sound kind of stupid, but I just want a nice original frame that I've tweaked into what I want under my car... That's supposed to be the "easy way"...

I guess I'll have to wait a little longer for a frame.....