Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JASONWM64, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JASONWM64

JASONWM64

Ok So Im Putting A 235 In Place Of My 216. I Got A Rebuilt Motor From A Machine Shop Here In Town That They Had Laying Around For Years. Anyway My Question Is That Under The Pushrod Cover There Are Two Holes One About Center Of The Block And The Other One Is To The Left By The Back Of The Block. Both Of Them Have 1/8 Pipe Plugs In Them. Now About A Month Ago I Helped A Friend Do A Head Gasket On His 235 And On His There Was A Tube There. This Got Me Thinking Dose Mine Need That Tube. I Started Looking On The Net And Did Not Find Much So I Went On A 235 Hunt And Started Taking Off Cover What I Found Was About 50/50 Of Them Had Tubes And The Others Did Not. Can Anyone Help Me With This? I Dont Whant To Start Mine And Run It Dry If In Dose Need The Tube. Thanks

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Try sending a PM to Squirrel - he's demystified a lot of this for me. Do you know what year YOUR block is? That might make a difference.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

From what I remember, the "early" ones had the tube, Later didnot. I got a 58 That did not and I put the tube in, it's additional oil to the rocker shaft. I had a 54 and it had it factory. On earlyer, like 53 and prior, this tube was sometimes run outside the engine to get oil upstairs. On my 58 engine I used copper tubing.

FRank

BTW: If you add the tube and then that floods the rocker area with excess oil thru that curved dump tube on the rocker shaft, you can crimp the dump tube closed a little at a time to get the oil in the rocker shaft and less flooding.

4. JASONWM64

JASONWM64

I Will Check Out The Casting # To Date Check It And Get Back To You Guys Thanks

5. Snarl

Snarl

58-62 blocks do not use the tube. Most 58-62 blocks have a 3 bolt side motor mount for quick reference, but check the casting number over at inliners.org
    If you have a 58-62 factory shop manual it has a good description of the changes they made to the oiling system.
    Also, with the 58-62 blocks, you need to make sure you are using the right rocker arms. The annular groove inside of the rocker arm should be offset from the center. The 57-earlier rockers have the groove centered. If you use the earlier rockers on the later blocks, you will have too much oil going to the top end.

6. JASONWM64

JASONWM64

I am drunk hambing at the moment, and I hate my 235 but youre not talking about these oil filter lines are you?
    http://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/sh...duct/2434.html

NO IM TALKING ABOUT THE 1/8TH IN. PIPE UNDER THE PUSHROD COVER.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

7. JASONWM64

JASONWM64

Ok Sorry Guy It Took So Long To Get The Block #. The Block # I Think Is So116xxl. Let Me Know If That Isa Good #.

8. Snarl

Snarl

There is a stamped number just to the rear of the distributor, on a flat machined pad.
    The Casting number is located on the side of the block, between the distributor and the fuel pump. If its a 58-62 block, it would be in the area of the 3 bolt motor mount.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

Snarl,on the head oiling,most later heads I've seen have a 1/8 inch pipe plug on the right side.Remove the plug and inside is a drilled orfice,.062 .This restricts the oil to the rockers.By the way,GMC 6's have the ssame size orfice in the pipe adapter at the front of the head where the oil feeds in.

10. Snarl

Snarl

Can't say I've seen that. All 53-62 heads have that plug, and the '53 and '60 heads I have laying around are the same.
    The orifice change was in the block, across from the plug, in the middle, under the sidecover. If you look at a 58-62 shop manual, it shows all of this.

Some of the 58-62 blocks didn't even have the hole by the rear cam bearing drilled and tapped.
    If you have a 58-62 block, you shouldn't be using the tube, as you are just stealing oil pressure from the cam bearings, to no purpose.

The orifice size in the block, (and in the rear fitting for the tube on the 57-earlier engines) combined with the groove size on the rocker arms is what controls the amount of oil to the top end.