Register now to get rid of these ads!

Earthquake!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CLSSY56, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ole don

Ole don

I didnt feel it, but I heard it, thought it was hail on the house. The dog growled a bit, we both went back to sleep.

2. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

It woke me up too, more the sound then the feel. That's the first earthquake I have ever felt. Scared the shit out of my dog, she about pushed me out of bed the rest of the morning trying to get closer. No damage that I know of.

3. Deadbird

Deadbird

It woke up my wife. She woke me up. If she hadn't, I'd have slept through it. It made the old house creak and rattle a little bit.

4. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Top 10 strongest Earthquakes in the US.... Where is California??? LOL

<table summary="List of the largest earthquakes in the United S tates" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td headers="t1" align="right">1.</td> <td headers="t2">Prince William Sound, Alaska</td> <td headers="t3">1964 03 28 03:36:14.0 UTC</td><td headers="t4" align="right">9.2</td> <td headers="t5" align="center">[​IMG]</td> <td headers="t6" align="center">[​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">2.</td> <td headers="t2">Cascadia subduction zone</td> <td headers="t3">1700 01 26 05:01 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right">˜9</td> <td headers="t5"> </td> <td headers="t6"> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">3.</td> <td headers="t2">Rat Islands, Alaska</td> <td headers="t3">1965 02 04 05:01 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right">8.7</td> <td headers="t5"> </td> <td headers="t6"> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">4.</td> <td headers="t2">Andreanof Islands, Alaska</td> <td headers="t3">1957 03 09 14:22:31.9 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right">8.6</td> <td headers="t5"> </td> <td headers="t5"> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">5.</td> <td headers="t2">East of Shumagin Islands, Alaska</td> <td headers="t3">1938 11 10 20:18:41.2 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right"> 8.2</td> <td headers="t5"> </td> <td headers="t6"> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">6.</td> <td headers="t2">Unimak Islands, Alaska</td> <td headers="t3">1946 04 01 12:28 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right">8.1</td> <td headers="t5"> </td> <td headers="t6"> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">7.</td> <td headers="t2">New Madrid, Missouri</td> <td headers="t3">1811 12 16 08:15 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right">8.1</td> <td headers="t5"> </td> <td headers="t6" align="center">[​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">8.</td> <td headers="t2">Yakutat Bay, Alaska</td> <td headers="t3">1899 09 10 21:41 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right">8.0</td> <td headers="t5"> </td> <td headers="t6" align="center">[​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">9.</td> <td headers="t2">New Madrid, Missouri</td> <td headers="t3">1812 02 07 09:45 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right">˜8 </td> <td headers="t5"> </td> <td headers="t6"> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td headers="t1" align="right">10.</td> <td headers="t2">Denali Fault, Alaska</td> <td headers="t3">2002 11 03 22:12 UTC</td> <td headers="t4" align="right">7.9</td> <td headers="t5"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

California didn't make the list till #15

5. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

We CLOSED on a house here in St. Louis area YESTERDAY and began moving in.
    When the insurance agent asked about quake insurance I aksed her if this was California or was it fgoing to become beach front property soon?

The wife and I slept thru the quake, but apparently the cat went ballistic, because the wife said the cat came tearing thru the bed about that time. The office here in St. charles is buzzing about the quake. No damage reported tho.

Glenn

6. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

7. dutched32

dutched32

good to hear you guys are ok !! Heard to on the radio this morning

8. MR BONES

MR BONES

SHY ??????????????????????????
    BULL SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was struggling to get out of my little bag all of the time. You had me locked away. ( I suppose that was for my saftey).

I WANT OTTA HERE

BONES

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What the......what????????

10. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Woke me the wife and all three dogs up at 5:37 this morning, pretty wild, it's 10:30 now and they are still talkin about it on the local news.

11. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

didnt feel or hear a thing here in TN, and Reelfoot is not far from me so hopefully the fault was just stretching a little before going back to sleep.

12. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

It woke me up but I thought it was a thunder storm or something. I just went back to bed.

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I couldn't hear it over my wife snoring....

14. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Are you sure it wasn't the aftermath of a green chili burrito?:D

15. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

We just now had a slight tremor! Wierd shit! My monitor started shaking!

16. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Wow! I just felt a slight aftershock.

17. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

MY monitor also shook.

18. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Whoa....Either we just had another quake, or a really serious aftershock....This place shook hard again....

19. At least you can run away from a Hurricane...

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yup i was on the phone a min ago and all at once the dishes started shakin....pretty good to... my monitor shook for 30 secs longer after i stopped feelin it! wild shit!

21. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Shook me outta bed. The whole upstairs was reelin and a rockin. Just had an aftershock about fifteen minutes ago! AND I'M 70 MILES EAST OF INDY!!:eek:

Brian

22. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

That last one was a 4.5

23. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

24. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

The New Madrid Fault

The New Madrid fault line is located in the central United States. It covers parts of Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, and Arkansas. It was formed 550,000,000 years ago when North America began to split apart. It never completely split apart, but it left a break called Reelfoot Rift, which is a weak spot in the earth's crust. Much of the soil in this area is loose and wet because it is near the Mississippi River. This makes it more likely that the ground will shake violently and have a lot of movement during an earthquake.
    Between December of 1811 and February of 1812, there was a series of earthquakes around New Madrid, Missouri. These earthquakes caused damage over 50,000 square miles. The tremors could be felt for 1,000,000 square miles, all the way from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada. These earthquakes changed the course of some rivers and streams, and made new lakes. They also destroyed whole forests full of trees.
    One weird event that happened was that the Mississippi River flowed backwards. A boat called the New Orleans was sailing down the river when one of the earthquakes caused a huge wall of mud across the river. Suddenly a huge wave came up the river the wrong way and smashed into the boat. The crew lived to tell the people what had happened. The earthquakes measured from 7.6 to 7.9 on the Richter scale, which measures earthquake intensity. This is an important fault line because a large earthquake there could affect the whole United States. There are also a lot of chemical companies located near this fault today. If these buildings were damaged, it could release poisonous chemicals into the air and water supply. There is a 50&#37; chance that an earthquake measuring 6.0 or more could occur by the end of this year and a 90% chance by the year 2040.

25. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

The biggest United States earthquake fault line is not is California; it's in Missouri where the largest quake to hit the USA occurred in 1811.

were doomed i tells ya........DOOOOMMMEEEDDD! :)

26. Wow I was gonna be relocating to North Carolina but after that info I might just stay put...don't know if I want to battle hurricanes and earthquakes...glad to hear everybody is okay...

27. Been a while since we had one out this way, there is a fault to the west of us.........ever hear of a place called Yellowstone?

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Tman that yellowstone one is freakin' scary shit!

alot of volcanic and underground shit going on there. been slowly changing every year

29. We had a strong quake when I was in 8th grade back in 84. The building shook pretty good and one teacher on the 4th floor moved siways on her stool.

30. greendream

greendream

I woke up this morning and wasn't sure why, I either felt or heard something strange. But I fell right back to sleep. I was surprised to find out it was an earthquake. I didn't feel or hear anything from the 10:30ish one though. Pretty crazy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.